International Antarctica is melting faster than we thought

Nothing about predictive science is that simple.

They don't truly know, but they can give their best estimations.

They truly don't know...that is very true. While I have no qualms that things are going bad for the planet I also don't think the "doom and gloom" bullshit does anybody any good. Always suggesting the worst possible situations when they rarely, if ever, come to fruition is what makes people question the legitimacy of scientific studies...and especially so when it comes to global warming ---> climate change. When these models predict the worst over and over, and the worst doesn't actually happen, then it makes people very skeptical. Especially when reports like this only suggest that the reduction of fossil fuels is the only answer. That is an entire world paradigm shift that would require massive shifts of power to occur globally...not going to happen in the near future.

good.

i heard eskimos are smug jerks.

I wonder if this will affect the southern polar bears as they hunt penguins in the same manner it has with their northern cousins who hunt seals?

There will be precisely zero change for polar bears in Antarctica.
Mark my words.

So when the ice wall melts we all fall off the Earth right? could potentially be the best slip n slide ever.

The article reads like a high school student wrote it. Full of shitty quotes, sketchy facts and unfounded blanket statements.

They aren’t really sure wtf is going on, it’s growing faster in winters than before now. But still melting faster in summers.

It could all easily change again soon.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2831/wintertime-arctic-sea-ice-growth-slows-long-term-decline-nasa/

Burning fossil fuels is only slightly denting warning, there have been periods in our short history with more global warming trends before there were even fossil fuels.

Global warming is clickbait bullshit thinking we have an impact on it of any significance

And another ice age would fuck us up way worse than a few more degrees warmer and a few feet of change in sea level relative to what would happen if we had another younger dryas type cycle.

Cooling climate, most likely a volcano put us into the dark ages, and global warming brought us out.

https://www.atmos.washington.edu/2001Q2/211/groupE/andy.html

I’m not concerned. All that water will just run off the edge of the earth before it gets to me.

I never believe anything when it says something like this; "In this century, a 10-foot rise is possible." Either your model is actually predictive of what is going to happen, or it isn't. Of course their only solution is to stop burning fossil fuels....good luck with that.

OTOH - I wouldn't be buying any beach front property. The scary thing is that very little of Antarctica's 3000' thick ice has to melt to cause real damage.

Greenland is finally turning into Iceland
Now with less ice than ever before!
<Y2JSmirk>

Last edited:
Polar Bears are savage they will survive ! Fight for the whales.
A good number of polar bears are dying of starvation. In the late spring, the ice is breaking up sooner and forming later in the fall, forcing bears to burn huge amounts of energy walking or swimming long distances to get to any remaining ice and hunting areas.

I wonder if this will affect the southern polar bears as they hunt penguins in the same manner it has with their northern cousins who hunt seals?

Polar bears exist only in the North. Penguins exist only in the South.

A good number of polar bears are dying of starvation. In the late spring, the ice is breaking up sooner and forming later in the fall, forcing bears to burn huge amounts of energy walking or swimming long distances to get to any remaining ice and hunting areas.

I know, they're hurting but they will make it. Other animals will be wiped out from humans destroying the fucking planet or contributing towards screwing up our ozone. plastic in the ocean all that horrible stuff.

Penguins do not only exist in the South Pole. Those fuckers are showing up all over the place.

Lots of them in South Africa and there were a bunch on the beaches in Brazil when I was there years back. Poor fucks got to hit and dieded though

They've been saying stuff like this since I can remember, and yet here we are...

You are aware we are talking about trillions of tons of ice right and a complex ecosystem right? Takes a bit longer to melt than the life expectancy of your average idiot white trash American.

Penguins do not only exist in the South Pole. Those fuckers are showing up all over the place.

Lots of them in South Africa and there were a bunch on the beaches in Brazil when I was there years back. Poor fucks got to hit and dieded though

A few do wash up in Argentina, Chile, Brazil, and South Africa. The ocean current does that. Their natural habitat is in Antarctica.

Could penguins survive in the North? No, because the bears would eat them. Could polar bears survive in the South? More likely, but their population would be huge and eventually they would run out of penguins to eat. Penguins are more vulnerable than seal. It is a predator thing.

Last edited:
You are aware we are talking about trillions of tons of ice right and a complex ecosystem right? Takes a bit longer to melt than the life expectancy of your average idiot white trash American.

Well, the Earth is 4.5 billion years old. During that period it has gone through a few 'ice' ages and 'heat' ages. Temperature rise and fall is nothing new. Human activity is probably affecting this to some degree, but I don't think it is as bad as some scientists are making this out to be.

Factor in any large meteors that have hit the Earth during that period. We are due for another 'big' meteor in the next 50 years. If it lands on land, it will be a major catastrophe. If it lands in the ocean, it will be less of a problem. Still, tidal waves.

Well, the Earth is 4.5 billion years old. During that period it has gone through a few 'ice' ages and 'heat' ages. Temperature rise and fall is nothing new. Human activity is probably affecting this to some degree, but I don't think it is as bad as some scientists are making this out to be.

Factor in any large meteors that have hit the Earth during that period. We are due for another 'big' meteor in the next 50 years. If it lands on land, it will be a major catastrophe. If it lands in the ocean, it will be less of a problem. Still, tidal waves.

sure, they are simply the ones studying it and analyzing the data using decades of education and experience. what the fuck do they know, let's just let any random asshole take a stab at it.

also, the issue isn't the fact the climate has changed before. we know it has, and acting like scientists have no clue on that is fuckin retarded. the entire point of all this is we have a nice climate now, and with all the people we have on earth, we'd like to keep it that way or we will face some serious problems. also, we don't know exactly what happens during an accelerated climate change, and things are happening far more rapidly than they even anticipated.

so we are taking a gamble on modern society because arrogant non science fucks are taking a political stance on this for the sake of ego or just outright evil motives. sounds fuckin awesome to me, lets go.

Back