ANOTHER Ronda Interview on ELLEN...how times (and physics) change!

You just lost whatever credibility you thought you had. It's not about the force of gravity or its direction, it's about the energy that is required to impart motion on an object. Inertia, you know? And you bring up air resistance? This has never been about that and the air resistance would be pretty negligible, or certainly the difference between the two gloves. It's about acceleration and deceleration as well as padding and I've never said anything different.

The system is not limited to the glove as an object with momentum. You need to consider the entire body of the puncher as well as how efficiently the energy is transferred to the target. Imparting energy on the face of your opponent in a much more abrupt manner will result in a greater impact.

The body weight would dwarf the effect of the weight of some padding and this body weight is held constant whether you are wearing a glove or not.

You seem not to be able to read. Someone besides me brought up the area of impact as if it were going to make a boxing glove impart more energy. Of course it would not, however.

I know that and all my arguments are predicated on that. The only mention I've made of area of impact is, again, to dispel the wrong notion that the area of impact affects the amount of energy that is transmitted in some fundamental way as one poster raised.

The additional mass is counteracted by two things: the padding which makes the transfer of energy less efficient and the fact that a heavier glove is harder to accelerate to the same speed. A heavier glove means slower punches, and of course acceleration is an important aspect in generating force. The padding of the glove basically acts as a crumple zone just as the outside of a car does in order to absorb the impact of a strike more gradually so that the concussive force is lessened and the internal contents of the car are protected. This is why having a helmet with internal padding actually helps you when your head hits the concrete. By your fucktarded logic, the helmet just makes the head heavier, and therefore gives it more momentum when it smacks into the concrete. But reality should tell you that the "give" it allows for when the head hits, in effect spreading the impact over a larger length of time, helps prevent brain injury rather than INCREASING it.

I don't care about bruises or cuts. Don't bring it up because I've never said that it is important or a measure of force. Ronda brought it up by saying that MMA has not given her a single bruise and others have seized on it as if it were important to my argument as they struggled to UNDERSTAND the argument. Seems that you fit in nicely with that club.

It does protect the brain because it makes your punches less able to transfer energy to the target and it makes your punches slower which means they have less energy to impart than they otherwise would.

I don't care if you fought different people with different kind of gloves on. You are obviously not a qualified person to be speaking on this. I've fought people with different gloves on and my experience and that of many many others is that you throw faster, harder punches with small gloves on and eating a punch from a heavily padded glove from the same person is much less damaging. If I just wanted to do maximum damage I am not going to put on the biggest boxing gloves I can find. That would have the opposite effect. This is why people who spar will REQUIRE you to wear bigger gloves. It's considered unfair if the other guy is wearing small gloves for a few reasons, not the least of which is that his punches are going to be faster and more powerful than they would be if he was wearing the heavier gloves and your punches will be slower. Go do some reading on this because you are just embarrassing yourself (if you have the sense to be embarrassed).

I don't know how you are still going back and forth, this thread is brutal. I started pulling my hair out after the first two pages

you're crazy. i would rather take punches from mma gloves than boxing gloves any day of the week. mma gloves sting more and maybe you'll get cut easier but boxing gloves will fuck your head up man

Lol someone doesn't spar

Because if one punch by a boxer (wearing a ligher MMA glove) who wasn't anything like a KO machine in boxing was enough to put her out on her feet, just imagine if she got hit by a solid shot with a boxing glove. This is her fucktarded understanding of physics, not mine.

i think you secretly believe ronda

You're a brain surgeon.

When you lift an object up, the weight of the object has a force (called gravity) pulling it down. That's what makes lifting the object harder.

But when you push an object horizontally through air, the weight (g) only pulls it down but it does not slow the velocity of the object horizontally. The only force working against an object being moved horizontally will be air friction (unless other forces come into play). So throwing a punch with a glove horizontally will only be slowed negligibly compared to a bare fist due to air friction. However the momentum of the additional mass of the glove upon impact will be greater than the bare fist due to momentum (p) = mv.

Throwing punches over 30 minutes with 16oz gloves will getting tiring compared doing it with 6oz gloves, but its not due to throwing punches horizontally, its due to lifting and holding the weight of the gloves up vertically against gravity.

So yeah...you didn't learn much in your grade 11 and 12 physics classes did you?

I don't like arguing with idiots but I'm going to anyway because knowing is half the battle. I don't care how much effort you've put into your theory about padding INCREASING impact.

If you're too stupid to visualize it and you'd like a demonstration I'd be glad to show you some time.

I'm gonna hit you in the face with a 5oz baseball as hard as I can.

Then I'm gonna hit you in the face with a 10oz volleyball as hard as I can.

You tell me which one hurts more and transmits greater force.

I'll help you out. You seem to believe the heavier, softer volleyball that weighs twice as much as the baseball would hurt more/do more damage. It wouldn't.

It's not fucked up at all. It's easier to use Newtons for calculations, but kgf is an easier unit to visualize for almost anyone, even to someone like me who has a mechanical engineering degree and calculates in Newtons. It's like using pounds-mass instead of slugs. Even though a slug is a more direct unit for the purposes of calculations, and I know that a slug is 32.2 pounds-mass, and I can visualize that it's about the mass of a car battery, a pound-mass is far easier to relate to and the numbers immediately have context. I don't have to do another conversion in my head to relate it to the mass of common objects that I'm familiar with.

Meh, by "weird fucked up units", I just mean it's alien to me. I see now that it does make it easier to visualize... I suppose its something I'm just not used to.

My head hurts from reading a lot of these responses. Most of you guys need some serious lessons in physics and how punches work in general. Force = M x A (Newtons second law) Boxing gloves are not the pillows people want to make them out to be but the heavier the glove the less acceleration. You will not throw lightening with a 16 oz glove as opposed to a 4 oz. Some people such as rondas stupid ass only perceive boxing gloves to be worse because boxers really know how to punch. I would rather be punched with a 4 oz glove from someone that thinks they know how to than say a professional boxer who can hit very fucking hard and efficiently. Now imagine putting 4 oz gloves on them and no grappling is in the equation? You get ray mercer vs timmeh type scenerios if they connect.

Let me first say that I agree with TS that Ronda is wrong. You don´t hit harder with boxing gloves, the padding lessens the impact (that is what padding does yes?). However I do think there is a reason people think it´s worse to get hit by boxing gloves, that punches with boxing gloves "rattle the brain" more.

If someone throws a combination of 4 punches at me with 4oz gloves, chances are I´ll block a few of them and the ones that land might be glancing blows that cut me up or fracture my face. But unless my opponent lands clean I won´t be concussed ("brain rattled").

If the same guy with the same power throws 4 punches with boxing gloves, I´ll probably get a little concussed even if I block or partially block all of them yes? My head will still absorb some amount of force, it´s harder to completely avoid absorbing damage because the gloves are bigger and more likely to connect to something.

My point is that in a sparring session/fight where you take no clean hits 4oz gloves may not feel so bad. As opposed to a sparring session with boxing gloves where you take no clean hits; you will still get a little pummeled so to speak.. So you could get fooled into thinking boxing gloves are worse.. until you take a clean hit from 4 oz. I think this is one of the reasons people get confused and think boxing gloves are worse.

But to argue that padding makes the punches harder? I generelly never liked to spar with people wearing less than 12 oz if just boxing, hurts too much and you are not comfortable working on your weaknesses when you risk getting knocked out.

Someone get Holly a pair of 8oz Reyes gloves for the rematch.

It's odd that so many people don't understand that as the weight of your glove/fist increases, it takes more strength to accelerate it enough to match the overall force of of the punch.

I will most definitely use this thread for Physics Thesis paper.

1931550_225187257823753_3468125183936959821_n.jpg

i think you secretly believe ronda
That was clearly a sarcastic extension of her logic followed by a disavowal of it. I'm sorry you are having trouble discerning that.

No, it's not the glove that does the damage. Boxing gloves give padding for a less efficient transfer of energy and they slow down your punch meaning it is less powerful. Ronda is wrong.

Depends on the makers of the gloves.

But the glove is designed to protect the hand not the head.

Depends on the makers of the gloves.

But the glove is designed to protect the hand not the head.

You can design a glove to be stiffer which would fuck someone up more or you can design it to be softer. In any case, it doesn't matter what it's designed for, it matters what it is used for and the effects that it has. Boxing gloves ARE padded and they also slow down your punches. The net effect is that punches while wearing boxing gloves do less damage, individually, everything else kept constant. The heavier the glove (all other things equal), the less damaging a punch is going to be from it.

That was clearly a sarcastic extension of her logic followed by a disavowal of it. I'm sorry you are having trouble discerning that.

i was totally kidding because you clearly don't believe her nonsense

If she really did spar with ''world champs''(well she did with Darchinyan) or even just decent boxers, than yeah, it's perfectly understandable why she'd feel that way - the size of boxing gloves are completely irrelevant when you're fighting or sparring someone who knows how to properly throw a punch.

There's a reason why there's more knockouts/downs in the lighter weight classes in boxing than MMA, despite the differences in glove sizes.

Because if one punch by a boxer (wearing a ligher MMA glove) who wasn't anything like a KO machine in boxing was enough to put her out on her feet, just imagine if she got hit by a solid shot with a boxing glove. This is her fucktarded understanding of physics, not mine.

She ran into about a 11 straight lefts before getting hit by the 12 and finally going down - and then getting put down for good by a high kick. Holm never came in like some power puncher and started rocking Rousey with every punch she threw.

Could it be the fighters punch harder with boxing gloves because of the decreased risk of injury to the hands? How often do boxers/MMA fighters incur hand injuries?

Back