• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime Another Harvard plagiarism scandal - this time it's the chief diversity commissar

Do you believe cases of plagiarism are common in the DEI educators sector ?

• Total voters
It's funny how right the opponents of DEI have been up to this point.

The left screams that DEI isn't about hiring unqualified applicants on the basis of immutable characteristics when in reality it has been since the beginning.

This.

Its a means for zealot activists to be granted positions of power they are neither qualified for or have the experience to thrive within.

Its a trojan horse for the institution to be infected.

Why do places even have chief diversity officers? What is their function?

Well the same way McDonald's is actually a real estate mogul and the fact that the function used to be to sell hamburgers but is now a dog crapping into a plastic bun is irrelevant, Harvard is now a corporation that sell merch and run a tax free hedge fund, which makes their previous function of educational institution irrelevant. They follow the same boiler plate formula as every other corporation or NGO.

Listen, I never think anyone that would have a position like hers or other positions of it's ilk, have common sense. So I could see this happening often. I am just confused at how stupid they must be to think they will not get caught in today's day and age. There is software for this, as well as everything is recorded and on record.

they still have more to do than a diversity officer.
What if they got rid of that position and hired a gender studies professor instead?

I get what you’re saying, but the college isn’t short any professors. They aren’t lacking the funds to hire them. So, if they did get rid of her position they would probably use the funds to house migrants or build a Tesla charging station.

Who gives a dam
As long as they do their job right i dont see the problem.
I would see if shes like some Head writer or something and her stories she
publishes are getting flagged left and right for plagiarism or stealing.

at the end of the day we know whats up. this is get back and revenge.
claudine gay and those other 2 ladies really went out like chumps they should of went out swinging .

Who gives a dam
As long as they do their job right i dont see the problem.
I would see if shes like some Head writer or something and her stories she
publishes are getting flagged left and right for plagiarism or stealing.

at the end of the day we know whats up. this is get back and revenge.
claudine gay and those other 2 ladies really went out like chumps they should of went out swinging .
592789.jpg

What if they got rid of that position and hired a gender studies professor instead?

I get what you’re saying, but the college isn’t short any professors. They aren’t lacking the funds to hire them. So, if they did get rid of her position they would probably use the funds to house migrants or build a Tesla charging station.
or they could hire someone competent in a field that's not a complete swindle.

they will only double down.

"we need more DEI because systemic racism and limited opportunities and resources forced black folx into plagiarizing".

I work at a SUNY (State University of New York) and I was talking with the people that work I. The same office of the chief diversity officer and according to them she doesn’t do a whole lot. But it is what it is because she is a very nice lady and I have no problem with her being able to make a living.

I think people in this thread are overstating how much pull the chief diversity office has within an institution, although Harvard might be different than the little tiny college I work at.
Isn’t SUNY a much larger state system as a whole? It’s like the biggest public university system in the nation…….. so your school although small is 1 of 64 SUNY schools. So basically they would do the same thing within the entire SUNY system?

Who gives a shit?! Everyone stole of someone. Doesn’t mean you’re bad at your job.

She still has to be fired if true obviously by people who plagiarised some shit themselves probably.

Don't forget the pesky Asians. They're almost as bad as us whites.

Imagine how good white people could be if they were primarily made up of people who were smart, wealthy or motivated enough to move across the world and start a new life.

I think a lot of people ITT just need to admit they don’t like black people.

Isn’t SUNY a much larger state system as a whole? It’s like the biggest public university system in the nation…….. so your school although small is 1 of 64 SUNY schools. So basically they would do the same thing within the entire SUNY system?
What do you mean exactly? It is a larger state system but all of the schools don’t do the exact same things. They are all run by different people who have different ideas about how to do things but the state does get the final say in what decisions are approved or not.

A good example why implementing decisions across the board wouldn’t work is because SUNY schools are focused in certain areas. The school I work at is an Engineering/Technology/Criminal Justice school and the SUNY school the next town over is a Music/Liberal Arts/Teaching centered university. The right thing for one could be the wrong thing for the other.

or they could hire someone competent in a field that's not a complete swindle.
Again, I get what you are saying but that would never happen. That is a fantasy. There would have to be MASSIVE changes in the political landscape of NY for that to be possible. I’m trying to stay within the bounds of the reality we are living in.

In what appears to become a chronic matter, another issue of plagiarism appears to have struck Harvard. This time it's the much respected function of chief diversity officer, it would appear, who among others has plagiarized stuff written by her husband, another diversity officer at another university.

is this the DEI maffia?
The grift must go on it seems, and become family business.

Harvard’s head of diversity accused of plagiarism​

Anonymous complaint against Dr Sherri Ann Charleston listed 40 falsification cases and a failure to properly cite her own husband’s work.
Harvard’s chief diversity and inclusion officer has become the latest member of staff to be accused of plagiarism, including a failure to properly cite her own husband’s study.
An anonymous complaint has listed at least 40 examples of alleged plagiarism by Sherri Ann Charleston dating from 2009, a decade before she joined Harvard, the Washington Free Beacon reported.
The allegations, which include failing to properly cite other academics’ work and lifting portions of text without quotation marks, come just weeks after Claudine Gay, Harvard University’s former president, resigned in the wake of a plagiarism scandal.
According to the Beacon, Dr Charleston, who is a historian, submitted a 2009 dissertation to the University of Michigan which included quotes or paraphrases from nearly a dozen scholars without proper attribution.

The complaint also alleges Dr Charleston ultimately took credit for a study that her husband, LaVar Charleston, wrote in 2012. He is now the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s deputy vice chancellor for diversity and inclusion.
That alleged act of plagiarism involved Dr Charleston recycling large portions of her husband’s earlier paper in a peer-reviewed article that she co-wrote in 2014, according to the complaint.
The article, published in the Journal of Negro Education, reportedly had the same findings, method and survey subject descriptions from her husband’s original work.
“The 2014 paper appears to be entirely counterfeit,” Peter Wood, the head of the National Association of Scholars and a former associate provost at Boston University, told the Beacon. “This is research fraud pure and simple.”
Steve McGuire, a former political theory professor at Villanova University, reviewed both the 2012 and 2014 papers.
“Sherri Charleston appears to have used somebody else’s research without proper attribution,” he told the Beacon.
The full complaint has been reportedly filed with Harvard, the University of Michigan and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Neither Dr Charleston nor her husband have commented on the allegations.
Dr Charleston was the chief affirmative action officer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison before switching to Harvard in August 2020, becoming its first chief diversity officer.
Oh and whoever wrote the bold part should think about plagiarizing. They can’t write for shit. Lmao

Back