Andre Ward would prefer to fight Joshua in comeback fight

SakurabasEar

Deus Magnus Est
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/1/...thony-joshua-canelo-comeback-boxing-news-2021

Cliffs:
- Says broadcasting isn't actually new to him, as he's been doing it for around 10 years
- Fighting to stay objective in analysis
- Says he's not surprised kovalev failed drug test
- Doesn't want to kick kovalev while he's down
- Agrees with canelo's matchmaking at super middleweight
- In hypothetical comeback fight, would prefer to go "all or nothing" against Anthony Joshua
- Thinks the current version of Fury would beat Joshua

Last edited:
AJ would need to have a title to make it worth it.

Would heavily favor AJ, before the Pulev fight, I would think Ward's style might be able to frustrate AJ and stifle his offense.. but in the Pulev fight, his close range uppercut and hooks were quite good. He would be able to muscle Ward off him and counter.

Given the fact that he's still only 37, i bet he'll fight again. But there's no way they should give him an AJ fight. Unless hearn gets desperate later on or something

Given the fact that he's still only 37, i bet he'll fight again. But there's no way they should give him an AJ fight. Unless hearn gets desperate later on or something

I assume a fight vs AJ would be to maximize a potential payday. However, i think @PUO3 or @LazaRRus had mentioned he did well with his investments and is financially sound. So I doubt he actually comes back.

Sucks he wasted a bit of his prime with contract disputes and then retired relatively early. Had the potential to be an ATG, but didn't do enough at 175 (plus I thought he lost first Kova fight). His resume isn't deep enough. IMO anyways

I assume a fight vs AJ would be to maximize a potential payday. However, i think @PUO3 or @LazaRRus had mentioned he did well with his investments and is financially sound. So I doubt he actually comes back.

Sucks he wasted a bit of his prime with contract disputes and then retired relatively early. Had the potential to be an ATG, but didn't do enough at 175 (plus I thought he lost first Kova fight). His resume isn't deep enough. IMO anyways

@PUO3 knows him personally

He's not coming back though

Can he even make the weight?

Ward was 176 lbs in the ring against Chad Dawson. Are we supposed to believe he'll come back 25 lbs heavier than he was in his prime to fight Joshua of all people? Can he even keep his speed and stamina? I don't buy this even a little bit.

@PUO3 knows him personally

He's not coming back though
At a time when we have tyson and jones in exhibition, is it really accurate to assume he would never come back?

Now in a legitimate match for one of the sanctioning bodies, yeah idk. I lean towards no for that

I just can't see it. Don't get me wrong i'd love Andre to come back and fight Canelo or Beterbiev, but i just don't see him risking his health and legacy.

Forget Andre vs AJ, that's how you end up in a wheelchair.

Ward is a great fighter, no doubt. But at his age, and with his inactivity, i really wouldn’t fancy his chances against canelo or beterbiev, let alone Joshua!

It would be a bad idea. Simply too small and too inactive and it’s not like anybody really wants to see it. I don’t think he fights again.

He’s not coming back. He has plenty of money, a solid source of income and nothing to prove.

Can he even make the weight?

Ward was 176 lbs in the ring against Chad Dawson. Are we supposed to believe he'll come back 25 lbs heavier than he was in his prime to fight Joshua of all people? Can he even keep his speed and stamina? I don't buy this even a little bit.
He could easily carry 200lbs but he would look like a cartoon character to get anywhere near 220+ and his stamina would be shot to all shit.

I think he would beat some of the top CW but HW is simply a ridiculous idea.

The only fight that makes sense for him to come back for is Canelo, and even then I still dont think hes returning.

Uuuuuuhhhhhh what? Is he being serious? Andre is normally practical in his analysis and fight selection. This is odd.

He really struggled at first with kovalevs bigger size. He was getting pushed in by every punch that landed.

Back