Andre Ward Signed By Roc Nation

They can't do any worse than his current company...I don't think I can recall a fighter with as much potential being managed so poorly... I mean, Tim Witherspoon lost his prime to bad management and legal issues, but Ward has much greater potential than him in my opinion

I didn't know Roc Nation signed commentators.

They can't do any worse than his current company...I don't think I can recall a fighter with as much potential being managed so poorly... I mean, Tim Witherspoon lost his prime to bad management and legal issues, but Ward has much greater potential than him in my opinion

What???? His promoter did a great job with him, the problem is 100% Andre

Nah, Ward did himself that way.

Goosen got him in the Super 6 when he was still a virtual unknown as a pro which promised him fights against every big name in his division, got him almost all hometown fights in the tourney and managed to get a boring fighter like Ward on HBO and Showtime.

It was Ward who chose not to accept fights and sat on the sidelines. I wonder if he'll do the same when Rocnation doesn't pay him mayweather money.

What???? His promoter did a great job with him, the problem is 100% Andre

I disagree.. Andre wanted out for a reason... Legally, he couldn't get out.. but something fueled that desire in him... and that issue could have been addressed long before it became significant enough to cause the legal standoff that lead to Ward's inactivity...

I disagree.. Andre wanted out for a reason... Legally, he couldn't get out.. but something fueled that desire in him... and that issue could have been addressed long before it became significant enough to cause the legal standoff that lead to Ward's inactivity...

Fueled his desire? He sat on his ass for the better part of two years. He was offered fights and had a contractual obligation and chose not to take them.

You can't blame Goosen because Ward decided he was bigger than his contract, when he clearly isn't.

Goosen made Ward a name. Ward decided not to capitalize on it.

Goosen got him in the Super 6 when he was still a virtual unknown as a pro which promised him fights against every big name in his division, got him almost all hometown fights in the tourney and managed to get a boring fighter like Ward on HBO and Showtime.

It was Ward who chose not to accept fights and sat on the sidelines. I wonder if he'll do the same when Rocnation doesn't pay him mayweather money.

Unknown? Gold in the olympics = money and recognition.. If he was unknown, it was the promoters fault.. David Reid, a lesser fighter, was on tv and in the money from very early on... all because of what his management did with his gold medal... he was managed well... Ward was not

Unknown? Gold in the olympics = money and recognition.. If he was unknown, it was the promoters fault.. David Reid, a lesser fighter, was on tv and in the money from very early on... all because of what his management did with his gold medal... he was managed well... Ward was not

Explain what you think Goosen should have done for Ward that they didn't.

Fueled his desire? He sat on his ass for the better part of two years. He was offered fights and had a contractual obligation and chose not to take them.

You can't blame Goosen because Ward decided he was bigger than his contract, when he clearly isn't.

Goosen made Ward a name. Ward decided not to capitalize on it.

Ward is without a doubt in the top 3 fighters pfp in the world... he deserves to get paid as such... He's the one taking all the health risks.. not his promoter.. his promoter is just leaching off of him... Had the Goosen's come to him with offers that reflect his market value, things could have gone better..

Now that said, no fighter should ever sign a huge fight deal.. I think fighters should sign 3-4 fights at a time... that way, if they have these disagreements, 3 fights and your out... but when your trapped in a long term deal that doesn't pay you right.. the only two options are to take the risk of fighting at the low pay.. and possibly losing that marketability and earning potential along the way... or make yourself and your promoter no money at all... until it becomes more costly to keep you than its worth...
Bottom line, they should have paid him right... he would have fought for em..

What fight did Ward turn down?

Explain what you think Goosen should have done for Ward that they didn't.

Sure.. who was that bum white guy on the subway commercials that was all over tv before he even had 5 fights?
They should have done that with Ward... get him on tv.. They should have had him taking advantage of his medal.. they should have had him in deeper earlier....

there was a lot of opportunity to make him a house hold name right out of the gate... they did not capitalize on it...Now that said, he is not the most exciting fighter.. so there's that.. but neither was Reid.. the way to make up for that lack of excitement is to put them in deep and show how good they are...

What fight did Ward turn down?

I honestly don't know. I know he was offered fights. Goosen made that claim and Ward never disputed it. He just thought he was worth more.

Rocnation won't be able to do anything more with him. There's no big name opponents for him. There's no SMW thats going to get him the millions he wants and he's shown reluctance to fight at 175 and even then, there's not much there.

Sure.. who was that bum white guy on the subway commercials that was all over tv before he even had 5 fights?
They should have done that with Ward... get him on tv.. They should have had him taking advantage of his medal.. they should have had him in deeper earlier....

there was a lot of opportunity to make him a house hold name right out of the gate... they did not capitalize on it...Now that said, he is not the most exciting fighter.. so there's that.. but neither was Reid.. the way to make up for that lack of excitement is to put them in deep and show how good they are...

Ward was in some of the most high profile fights of this decade and was televised fighting tomato cans well before that. Ward simply didn't excite the fans, thats not his promoters fault. Goosen got him fights with every big name in his division and the lineal LHW champ too.

Having an Olympic pedigree doesn't guarantee stardom either. Leonard wasn't a star because he was an Olympian. Oscar wasn't a star because he was an Olympian. You mentioned David Reid, Reid was no star.

Beating top competition helps. Having the personality of a pinky toe does not. Having a boring style doesn't help either.

Fans aren't going to like Ward more because he has a new promoter.This wasn't a Rigondeaux situation where his promoter refused to promote him.

The benefit of Roc Nation is that they havent made any enemies yet.. so they wont have as many barriers as Golden boy and top rank... Who knows how good they will be.. but Floyd catered to the r&b crowd and that brought some excitement to his career.. maybe itll do the same for Ward...

I could see a few fights making some good money.. Chavez Jr. vs. Ward would sell.. it would be a one sided beating, but it would sell... It would be like Gatti vs. Mayweather.. where the brawler brings the fans and the boxers brings the assbeatin...
and I think once the money is right, he will be more likely to take the risk of moving up.

Back