Andre Ward Signed By Roc Nation

i don't remember hearing about this, what the hell. andre needs a serious reality check.

Its like I said before. Ward mistakes boxing success with celebrity. He thinks he's more than he is.

Great fighter, absolutely. Star? No. He's simply not. Maybe in Oakland. Maybe his success in his backyard is why he thinks he's such a big star.

Seano is making good points here....

i don't remember hearing about this, what the hell. andre needs a serious reality check.

this was actually the root of this whole mess .

andre Ward signed a contract with Goossen and another one with some fake ass promotial company run by some music producers that only exists in name and doesn't do any actual promoting . ( a la Mayweather promotions ,the guy who "promotes " rigo , canelo promotions etc... a vanity brand so to speak )
Dan was the one responsible for promoting andre Ward and securing lucrative deals and fights for him .

after Ward made it to the top , and Dan has done all the hard work , these guys wanted in . they wanted full co-promotional rights .

what happened to the supposed rematch with Kessler? Not that I wanted to see the fight, but wasn't that the word on the street for a while?

Ward will probably be uncooperative with anybody. If I remember correctly, he refused to fight Bute when Bute was relevant because of money and I haven't seen him make any moves towards guys like Kovalev, GGG, Froch, or Stevenson other than lame call outs. Not that I think he's scared, but he thinks he's a WAY bigger draw than he actually is.

Ward was nursing a broken hand after the Super Six and told Bute to beat one of those guys that was in the tournament. Bute lost, and Ward went on to crush Dawson later that year.

Ward was nursing a broken hand after the Super Six and told Bute to beat one of those guys that was in the tournament. Bute lost, and Ward went on to crush Dawson later that year.

yeah and that's bullshit. Bute was the #1 or #2 guy in the division. Ward should have just waited and fought him. Ward doesn't get to make all of the demands, especially since Bute was arguably a bigger draw.

He called out Chavez jr and then claimed Froch was looking for an easy fight when he called out Chavez jr.

Negativity*
JayZ wants to make a splash, he's going to more generous and transparent than the usual old snakes. Ward seems a smart guy.

yeah and that's bullshit. Bute was the #1 or #2 guy in the division. Ward should have just waited and fought him. Ward doesn't get to make all of the demands, especially since Bute was arguably a bigger draw.

Ward didn't fight until the end of that year. It was Bute that was trying to stay active, thus he went to fight Froch and wound up losing. Also, Bute was a draw in Canada like Ward only draws in Oakland.

Ward didn't fight until the end of that year. It was Bute that was trying to stay active, thus he went to fight Froch and wound up losing. Also, Bute was a draw in Canada like Ward only draws in Oakland.

Ward demanding that Bute face one of those fighters is ridiculous. That shouldn't be a condition for a fight.

also, Montreal>>>>>>>>>>Oakland

Ward demanding that Bute face one of those fighters is ridiculous. That shouldn't be a condition for a fight.

also, Montreal>>>>>>>>>>Oakland

Again, it wasn't gonna happen immediately because Ward broke his hand after the Froch fight. Who knows where the fight would have been if it had taken place? Certainly not in Canada. Probably Las Vegas or LA.

Again, it wasn't gonna happen immediately because Ward broke his hand after the Froch fight. Who knows where the fight would have been if it had taken place? Certainly not in Canada. Probably Las Vegas or LA.

I understand that, but it's silly to demand that Bute fight one of the super six guys to deserve a shot. He was the #2 guy at the time.

I understand that, but it's silly to demand that Bute fight one of the super six guys to deserve a shot. He was the #2 guy at the time.

Maybe, but I think the issue at the time was that Bute either wasn't invited or declined participation, and got to take easy title defenses while all the other guys went through the ringer. I don't actually know which one, but I do know that Ward would have fought Bute had he beaten Froch.

The benefit of Roc Nation is that they havent made any enemies yet.. so they wont have as many barriers as Golden boy and top rank... Who knows how good they will be.. but Floyd catered to the r&b crowd and that brought some excitement to his career.. maybe itll do the same for Ward...

I could see a few fights making some good money.. Chavez Jr. vs. Ward would sell.. it would be a one sided beating, but it would sell... It would be like Gatti vs. Mayweather.. where the brawler brings the fans and the boxers brings the assbeatin...
and I think once the money is right, he will be more likely to take the risk of moving up.

They may have with haymon because they kept trying to out bid them.
Now I'm not really sure the situation but it seemed like they were always trying to take his fighters

What an absolute waste of talent , we should be wondering about his place among the pound for pound not about how fucking rusty he will be if he fucking actually returns

Does this mean he'll start fighting again? Would like to see him get a good win then take on Golovkin.

you heard it from my drunk as first! Ward ducked Bute by demanding he face a real challenge in froh!

i'm drunk as fuck, ignore me keeping it at 100

it's like this and like that and ah!!!!!!!

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/10863999/arbitrator-upholds-promoter-deal-andre-ward
Link to the most recent story I could find of how Ward screwed himself over.

In April 2011, Ward signed a three-year contract extension with Goossen, for which he received a $550,000 signing bonus, according to the ruling obtained by ESPN.com. But both sides agreed during the June 2013 arbitration that the agreement did not go into effect until Sept. 8, 2012, the day that Ward knocked out Chad Dawson. Before the Dawson fight, Ward had been sidelined for nine months because of an injury.

In December, Goossen asked the commission to arbitrate a second dispute over the length of the agreement. He argued that Ward should be under contract for 16 more months due to time missed for injuries as well as Ward's reluctance to allow him to set up his next fight. Ward's side said it didn't recognize the commission's authority, but said any extension should be for no more than six months. The promotional agreement between Ward and Goossen gives the commission the authority to decide any issues in arbitration, according to the ruling.

Ward took a half a million dollars after signing the extension and then decided it wasn't fair and sued his promoter. It has been ruled a couple of times that the contract was legal and legit. = Ward choosing not to fight.

Two different issues.

Ward did not turn down fights, he hasnt been offered shit during all of this nonsense.

Two different issues.

Ward did not turn down fights, he hasnt been offered shit during all of this nonsense.

Turned down fights, refused to be promoted. Tomato, tomato.

He didn't think his contract was fair so instead of fighting he sued his promoter and sat on the sidelines.

in b4 ward clowns his next opponent.

seriously though, SOB, start fighting people

in b4 ward clowns his next opponent.

seriously though, SOB, start fighting people

Well I would sure hope so... He's going to be facing a tune-up in his next fight. I bet they give him Rubio (who recently moved up to 168).

Back