• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Television ANDOR (Dragonlord's Recommendation: One of the Best TV Shows of 2022, post #439)

Agreed. At least we can take comfort that while Andor is underperforming the other Disney+ SW series, it's been getting very good reviews and is still more popular than many streaming shows.

Mandalorian was lightning in a bottle and will be hard or impossible to replicate. Baby Yoda went viral and Din himself is a very cool character. It was must see for SW nerds, but even casuals loved it. My wife loved it and her SW knowledge consists of remembering that Luke was Darth Vader's son. Right before Mando took off his helmet for the first time, she was arguing with me that Din (and that "other guy with the helmet") must be robots. When Andor came out, her question was, "Is Baby Yoda in it? No? OK go ahead and watch without me."

But Andor's greatness is enabled by the movie lore that precedes it. When you layer all that spy intrigue onto such a richly crafted universe, it makes it doubly awesome. If we didn't already know and love the SW galaxy, it would be just a hipster sci fi indy serial without alien make up, dueling space wizards or Michael Bay explosions.

It being streaming of course popularity on release isnt as important as with a blockbuster, Disney+ can potentially benefit from positive buzz around it for months, espeically as like you say its something suitable for binge watching in 3 episode blocks.

I think the mistake Disney made with the sequels personally was going for the vague "Oh yeah I remember that a bit" market for Starwars by hiring Abrams to do his normal formula, yes it did massive business in the short term(business stored up since 1983 really as the prequels didnt tap into it massively) but pure nostalgia like that will only last so long. Really I think Starwars is arguebly the only franchise were you can still do massive business aiming at hardcore fans because it ha such a big fanbase. Aiming at that market they could have done Rogue One like business for year after year but instead by they were slowly killing the golden goose with films made by people who clearly didnt care much about Starwars.

As you say really I think Starwars has so much potential in it beyond just a quick nostalgia fix, Trek I could understand at that point as I think you could argue with so many hundred episodes of TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise plus 4 TNG films it was really a bit of a played out franchise in the late 00's so a light nostalgia fix was probably the best bet. Starwars really though had only scratched the surface of its potential in terms of films and live action shows and realy the setting isnt that limiting at all.

It's become watchable. Bit I think SW has been so bad even mediocre shot like this gets folks thi king it's greatness. Right now it's watchable for Diego as he is great in the role.

After hearing it was a slow start, and with me being pressed for time (also wife not interested) I stacked several weeks before diving in. I wonder how much of that dynamic might be holding off viewership numbers.

It will be interesting to watch the numbers week to week & see when people start hearing how good it is & getting on board. They also might be waiting for the whole season to drop.

With other series' that I'm not that invested in, I'll typically wait for binge time.

Personally, I was stoked to see the development of the rebellion, but I waz surprised to see that even some hard core star wars fans were saying they didn't want or ask for it. Perhaps they'll blow it out of teh lazer canon & flock people in with a big season finale.

It being streaming of course popularity on release isnt as important as with a blockbuster, Disney+ can potentially benefit from positive buzz around it for months, espeically as like you say its something suitable for binge watching in 3 episode blocks.

I think the mistake Disney made with the sequels personally was going for the vague "Oh yeah I remember that a bit" market for Starwars by hiring Abrams to do his normal formula, yes it did massive business in the short term(business stored up since 1983 really as the prequels didnt tap into it massively) but pure nostalgia like that will only last so long. Really I think Starwars is arguebly the only franchise were you can still do massive business aiming at hardcore fans because it ha such a big fanbase. Aiming at that market they could have done Rogue One like business for year after year but instead by they were slowly killing the golden goose with films made by people who clearly didnt care much about Starwars.

As you say really I think Starwars has so much potential in it beyond just a quick nostalgia fix, Trek I could understand at that point as I think you could argue with so many hundred episodes of TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise plus 4 TNG films it was really a bit of a played out franchise in the late 00's so a light nostalgia fix was probably the best bet. Starwars really though had only scratched the surface of its potential in terms of films and live action shows and realy the setting isnt that limiting at all.

+1

I'm not a fan of the ST but I think TFA was the least terrible. It was as you say a light nostalgia reboot. But they got worse from there and the box office reflected that. TFA did $2B and it went down to $1B for ROS which IMHO was all but unwatchable. Even still, anything billion for a movie that cost $200-$300M to film is blockbuster territory and nothing to scoff at. Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4B back in 2012 and that was one of the best bargains ever. It's a license to mint money. Even their commercial "flops" make bank because as you say, the fanbase (both hardcores and casuals) is so big.

I was curious how the SW franchise compares to Star Trek and you're right, SW dwarfs it. SW has made ~$70B since inception (majority toy revenue and that's only up to 2018 before Mandalorian dropped) compared to ~$11B for Star Trek. Pokemon is tops at ~$120B WTF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

But yeah, the SW galaxy is MUCH more broad (and easily monetized via toys and EU stuff) than ST, which focuses on a single spaceship flying around space interacting with some random flavor of the day alien race. SW has built an entire galaxy populated with known historical events, political figures, armies, alien races and well-developed economy and trade systems with magical space wizard factions in opposition. Any and all of that can be individually explored and it wouldn't be off-topic.

After hearing it was a slow start, and with me being pressed for time (also wife not interested) I stacked several weeks before diving in. I wonder how much of that dynamic might be holding off viewership numbers.

It will be interesting to watch the numbers week to week & see when people start hearing how good it is & getting on board. They also might be waiting for the whole season to drop.

With other series' that I'm not that invested in, I'll typically wait for binge time.

Personally, I was stoked to see the development of the rebellion, but I waz surprised to see that even some hard core star wars fans were saying they didn't want or ask for it. Perhaps they'll blow it out of teh lazer canon & flock people in with a big season finale.

Good point. The Andor reviews seem to be gaining steam and maybe it will get a bump after a big finale that generates buzz and gets more folks to binge it. I was a naysayer, thinking it sounded lame on paper but it's been great in practice.

Andor has the most ambitious scope of the Disney series so far - formation of the Rebellion and the entire backdrop to E4. It's confirmed for 2 seasons and looks like that will take us to Rogue One. Season 2 may have crossover with the Obi Wan series and at the least, should include backdrop to design and initial construction of the Death Star including Krennic, Jyn's dad and hopefully more Tarkin. If it's all as good as the last 8 episodes, that will be a treat. Hopefully they put Reva out to pasture with Jar Jar.

Last edited:
I predict the obsessive stalker will have the Imperial officer fall in love with him.

The storytelling is too slow. It's like Disney wants the viewers to be experts on how to manufacture the office chair base whatever the fook that is, in addition to expecting nice modern jails with self service all you can eat food in your jail cell.

Dope episode. Tense AF.

The writing in this show is so smart and so sharp. And the acting is consistently top notch.

Side note, Vel cleans up pretty well:
Screenshot-2022-10-26-at-10.28.05-remini-enhanced-e1666779071426-1024x576.png

Also, just realized where I've seen her before:
arya-stark-the-waif.jpg

Another exceptional episode. This show is one of the best made shows I've ever seen. Forget Star Wars, it's just a great show in its own right. Acting, cinematography, dialogue, it has everything. Style and substance. My only real complaint is the lack of aliens. Every episode flies by and I feel like a crack addict awaiting my next fix every week.

I predict the obsessive stalker will have the Imperial officer fall in love with him.

The storytelling is too slow. It's like Disney wants the viewers to be experts on how to manufacture the office chair base whatever the fook that is, in addition to expecting nice modern jails with self service all you can eat food in your jail cell.

This episode fucking blows. This weird stalker subarc is painful as is any scene with the cereal eater's mom.

Is puzzling why Mon Mothma's cousin didn't put aside some of those stolen payroll credits to reimburse Mothma'z contribution to the cause. Her cousin could've very easily put those credits & more for later, aside & brought them with her.

BTW... how cool that's her cousin... & possibly the driving force between how Mothma got involved.

Show of handz...
Who wants to see Lieutenant Meero slap Karn so hard that cereal flies out of his mouth, then disrobe & have her way with him, only to be reversed & choked out while he impregnates her.
l@nd0

<Neil01>
Don't judge me :D

Last edited:
Is puzzling why Mon Mothma's cousin didn't put aside some of those stolen payroll credits to reimburse Mothma'z contribution to the cause. Her cousin could've very easily put those credits & more for later, aside & brought them with her.

l@nd0

<Neil01>
Don't judge me :D

I mean If I remember correctly those credits are for funding the rebellion anyway. And I dont think the cousin would need to reimburse her. Mon has problem getting her own money out due to all surveillance and strict rules, she doesnt have the problem for lack of it. She just needs access so she can fund the rebellion also from her side.

I heard someone in a video point out that Syril's relationship with his mother is like the Empire's relationship with the galaxy. Blew my mind.

That's high level thinking right there. Or at the very least a sign of mental health problems incoming.

I mean If I remember correctly those credits are for funding the rebellion anyway. And I dont think the cousin would need to reimburse her. Mon has problem getting her own money out due to all surveillance and strict rules, she doesnt have the problem for lack of it. She just needs access so she can fund the rebellion also from her side.
Well said... but Moth's key to all this... and a high ranking senetor who haz teh floor in multiple scenez... but now she haz to go to a gangster for funding. (& god knowz how that evolves) (Can't wait to see teh gangstah btw)

Well said... but she'z key to all this... and now she haz to go to a gangster for funding. (& god knowz how that evolves)

lets hope as problematic and dramatic as possible so it will be exciting and lots of fun to watch :)

Back