• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Television ANDOR (Dragonlord's Recommendation: One of the Best TV Shows of 2022, post #439)

Bix is not ugly, but booty is too big and unfit.

They spent too much time in the prison and building whatever that shit was. Move along. Who's gonna rescue Andor?

Bix is not ugly, but booty is too big and unfit.
Terrible opinion
shame-gameofthrones.gif

They spent too much time in the prison and building whatever that shit was. Move along. Who's gonna rescue Andor?

yeah I thought so too. The writing /attention to detail & all is great but the pace and setting everything up can be annoyingly slow sometimes. They shouldve just put out the whole season.

And those snowboard boots the guards wear look basically off the shelf and ridiculous. Completely against the canon/regular uniform Empire look which is dark, sinister looking militaristic and minimalistic. Not orange white. Why not simply put some black army boots with bigger soles and rubber padding or sth.

Last edited:
This series keeps delivering - another great episode today. This is the best thing to happen to SW since Mandalorian and it's probably above that, given all the world building and big picture details they're giving us.
What we've gotten so far is way, way, way above all but the very best moments of The Mandalorian.

This has been Star Wars at its best. Given, works aren't remembered for their first acts, and this has all been a first act, but if we are rating it for what it is, which is exposition, it belongs up there with the original trilogy and the conclusion of the animated Clone Wars.

Incredible. Diego Luna bless. Came to save the franchise.

What we've gotten so far is way, way, way above all but the very best moments of The Mandalorian.

This has been Star Wars at its best. Given, works aren't remembered for their first acts, and this has all been a first act, but if we are rating it for what it is, which is exposition, it belongs up there with the original trilogy and the conclusion of the animated Clone Wars.

Incredible. Diego Luna bless. Came to save the franchise.

Agree Andor is pretty great. In terms of exposition, I think it's BETTER than the OT. It plays like classic, top top shelf sci fi vs. a blockbuster. But it's SW for hardcores, not the masses.

Mandalorian was the most-streamed show in the U.S. on any platform and has been far and away the most watched show on Disney+. It has casuals tuned in and literally everyone in the world has a baby yoda toy sitting in their house making stupid cooing noises when you pick it up.

Andor is (sadly) the least popular Disney+ SW series. Casuals don't appreciate it. Polarized opinions ITT are telling and the naysayers include folks who even bothered to watch it at all. I couldn't agree more with the article below and I'm worried Disney will put the kibosh on series like this due to lack of popular appeal.

‘Andor’ Is Better Than ‘The Mandalorian,’ But No One Is Watching

Andor just aired its seventh episode yesterday, out of twelve total, which are arriving in 3 episode mini-arcs as part of a larger whole for its first season. By this point, I am willing to declare that this may be the best thing that the Disney era of Star Wars has produced other than maybe the movie that inspired it, Rogue One.

Unfortunately, no one is watching.

Well not “no one,” but data indicates that significantly less people are watching Andor than all of Disney Plus’ other Star Wars offerings. While we don’t and probably will never have official numbers from Disney, tracking firm Parrot Analytics says that the “demand” they measure for Andor using their various metrics is “overwhelmingly lower” than all other Disney Plus Star Wars series, including both seasons of The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi and even The Book of Boba Fett. Looking at their chart, it’s that very, very low line creeping along the bottom.

In a way, I understand this. I didn’t think Andor sounded like a good idea from the outset, spinning out an entire series from a single character from Rogue One. And the show has no big names, no Skywalkers, no Solos. No cool guy in shiny Mandalorian armor or tiny Yoda.

But it’s Just. So. Good.

I cannot speak highly enough about what Andor is doing here, creating the groundwork for the rebellion in a thrilling, engaging tale that is miles beyond what we’ve seen in other Star Wars projects so far. Yes, I would even go so far as to say that this show is better than The Mandalorian itself, a great series, sure, but one that is often bogged down by its “problem of the week” format where some settlement needs to be saved by Mando, and then in season 2, it gets lost in trying to be connecting thread between everything from Rebels storylines to the arrival of CGI Luke Skywalker himself. Andor does not care about easter eggs or cameos. Andor cares about storytelling and good writing and powerful performances from its cast.

The good news is that it doesn’t really seem to matter in the short term how Andor performs. A second season is a sure thing, with another 12 episodes committed to already which will lead into the events of Rogue One itself.

However, I do fear that Andor performing poorly will cause Disney to think they need to go back to flashier projects jammed full of cameos and Skywalker relatives. When really, they should be giving showrunner Tony Gilroy a blank check to do absolutely whatever he wants within the universe if this is what he’s doing with a random collection of characters in Andor. I actually would love to see his take on the politicking of the Jedi, as I think that’s painfully unexplored in the movies and series so far. But we’ll see.

Watch Andor. And if you’re bored at first, just wait. Trust me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-than-the-mandalorian-but-no-one-is-watching/

Last edited:
^^^^
Mandalorian never got "bogged down" with problem of the week. Did Firefly also get bogged down or any ST show. It is the opposite, it saved Mando because most shows that fall and get canceled get "bogged" down by trying to either spin some convoluted story or create a predictable generic snoozefest and only perhaps 5% make it work. Like Andor does because luckily it seems the creators were left with a large degree of freedom for their vision.
Mando had the perfect format, episodic with a redline underlying story.

Last edited:
For anyone who was into the animated stuff, clone Wars etc. Looks like they just released Tales of the Jedi. 6 episodes, short but I enjoyed them. Got to see some of Dooku's back story and more of Ahsoka.

^^^^
Mandalorian never got "bogged down" with problem of the week. Did Firefly also get bogged down or any ST show. It is the opposite, it saved Mando because most shows that fall and get canceled get "bogged" down by trying to either spin some convoluted story or create a predictable generic snoozefest and only perhaps 5% make it work. Like Andor does because it seems the creators were left with a large degree of freedom for their vision.
Mando had the perfect format, episodic with a redline underlying story.

Mandalorian was perfect for serial format. It had the perfect blend of blockbuster moments, compelling and deep enough plot and good world building in its own right. Ideal for appeal to casuals and hardcores alike. Great vertical logic for each episode with logical break points. Decent horizontal logic but being a serial makes it not flow as well as Andor does. Agree "bogged down" aren't the right words.

Andor is much better for binge-watching. Incongruous with serial format and would have been better had they dropped at once so we could enjoy more than 40 minutes at a time. Some episodes have poor vertical logic but incredible horizontal logic overall - weaving together multiple plots, sub-plots and themes that are balls deep.

Mandalorian had superior mass appeal and numbers back that up. But Andor is more complex sci fi. No space wizards, lightsabers or copious aliens with vibrating nutsacks on their chin. Just top shelf writing and production.

Last edited:
Mandalorian was perfect for serial format. It had the perfect blend of blockbuster moments, compelling and deep enough plot and good world building in its own right. Ideal for appealing to casuals and hardcores alike. Great vertical logic for each episode with logical break points. Decent horizontal logic but being a serial makes it not flow as well as Andor does. Agree "bogged down" aren't the right words.

Andor is much better for binge-watching. Incongruous with serial format and would have been better had they dropped at once so we could enjoy more than 40 minutes at a time. Some episodes have poor vertical logic but incredible horizontal logic overall - weaving together multiple plots, sub-plots and themes that are balls deep.

Mandalorian had superior mass appeal and numbers back that up. But Andor is more complex sci fi. No space wizards, lightsabers or copious aliens with vibrating nutsacks on their chin. Just top shelf writing and production.
Exactly.

Agree Andor is pretty great. In terms of exposition, I think it's BETTER than the OT. It plays like classic, top top shelf sci fi vs. a blockbuster. But it's SW for hardcores, not the masses.

Mandalorian was the most-streamed show in the U.S. on any platform and has been far and away the most watched show on Disney+. It has casuals tuned in and literally everyone in the world has a baby yoda toy sitting in their house making stupid cooing noises when you pick it up.

Andor is (sadly) the least popular Disney+ SW series. Casuals don't appreciate it. Polarized opinions ITT are telling and the naysayers include folks who even bothered to watch it at all. I couldn't agree more with the article below and I'm worried Disney will put the kibosh on series like this due to lack of popular appeal.

‘Andor’ Is Better Than ‘The Mandalorian,’ But No One Is Watching

Andor just aired its seventh episode yesterday, out of twelve total, which are arriving in 3 episode mini-arcs as part of a larger whole for its first season. By this point, I am willing to declare that this may be the best thing that the Disney era of Star Wars has produced other than maybe the movie that inspired it, Rogue One.

Unfortunately, no one is watching.

Well not “no one,” but data indicates that significantly less people are watching Andor than all of Disney Plus’ other Star Wars offerings. While we don’t and probably will never have official numbers from Disney, tracking firm Parrot Analytics says that the “demand” they measure for Andor using their various metrics is “overwhelmingly lower” than all other Disney Plus Star Wars series, including both seasons of The Mandalorian, Obi-Wan Kenobi and even The Book of Boba Fett. Looking at their chart, it’s that very, very low line creeping along the bottom.

In a way, I understand this. I didn’t think Andor sounded like a good idea from the outset, spinning out an entire series from a single character from Rogue One. And the show has no big names, no Skywalkers, no Solos. No cool guy in shiny Mandalorian armor or tiny Yoda.

But it’s Just. So. Good.

I cannot speak highly enough about what Andor is doing here, creating the groundwork for the rebellion in a thrilling, engaging tale that is miles beyond what we’ve seen in other Star Wars projects so far. Yes, I would even go so far as to say that this show is better than The Mandalorian itself, a great series, sure, but one that is often bogged down by its “problem of the week” format where some settlement needs to be saved by Mando, and then in season 2, it gets lost in trying to be connecting thread between everything from Rebels storylines to the arrival of CGI Luke Skywalker himself. Andor does not care about easter eggs or cameos. Andor cares about storytelling and good writing and powerful performances from its cast.

The good news is that it doesn’t really seem to matter in the short term how Andor performs. A second season is a sure thing, with another 12 episodes committed to already which will lead into the events of Rogue One itself.

However, I do fear that Andor performing poorly will cause Disney to think they need to go back to flashier projects jammed full of cameos and Skywalker relatives. When really, they should be giving showrunner Tony Gilroy a blank check to do absolutely whatever he wants within the universe if this is what he’s doing with a random collection of characters in Andor. I actually would love to see his take on the politicking of the Jedi, as I think that’s painfully unexplored in the movies and series so far. But we’ll see.

Watch Andor. And if you’re bored at first, just wait. Trust me.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-than-the-mandalorian-but-no-one-is-watching/

Great article. Thanks for sharing. It is a shame that it is not getting the audience that I would like but the numbers are the numbers. Maybe it will get a better tail on the viewership distribution vs. some of the more high profile SW series. In any case, I am relieved that a S2 is locked in.

Mandalorian was perfect for serial format. It had the perfect blend of blockbuster moments, compelling and deep enough plot and good world building in its own right. Ideal for appealing to casuals and hardcores alike. Great vertical logic for each episode with logical break points. Decent horizontal logic but being a serial makes it not flow as well as Andor does. Agree "bogged down" aren't the right words.

You could argue I spose its somewhat inevitable that DIsney wants weekly content to keep people subscribing, they basically want at least one big Starwars or Marvel show episode to drop each week if they can.

I would say the last couple of week has shifted a bit, as the wider rebel plot has taken on more focus it has upped the pace of the show rather, we might not be getting big climaxs each week but things are happening rather faster.

This week especially really worked well, the show is arguably becoming genuinely menacing in a way SW never has been previously in its authoritarian hell. Disney are fools if they don't realise they have gold in this style in this era of SW, this should be the style for pre OT SW or even during OT SW from now on IMHO.

As mentioned previously I think besides the writting/production it really helps that the show has gone after solid character actors rather than casting "potential stars".

This is the best thing they have done in years. Pacing isn't consistent but i am enjoying the episodes greatly and wish they had done this type of feel with Boba and Obi. I like this better than Mandolorian.

You could argue I spose its somewhat inevitable that DIsney wants weekly content to keep people subscribing, they basically want at least one big Starwars or Marvel show episode to drop each week if they can.

I would say the last couple of week has shifted a bit, as the wider rebel plot has taken on more focus it has upped the pace of the show rather, we might not be getting big climaxs each week but things are happening rather faster.

This week especially really worked well, the show is arguably becoming genuinely menacing in a way SW never has been previously in its authoritarian hell. Disney are fools if they don't realise they have gold in this style in this era of SW, this should be the style for pre OT SW or even during OT SW from now on IMHO.

As mentioned previously I think besides the writting/production it really helps that the show has gone after solid character actors rather than casting "potential stars".

Agreed. At least we can take comfort that while Andor is underperforming the other Disney+ SW series, it's been getting very good reviews and is still more popular than many streaming shows.

Mandalorian was lightning in a bottle and will be hard or impossible to replicate. Baby Yoda went viral and Din himself is a very cool character. It was must see for SW nerds, but even casuals loved it. My wife loved it and her SW knowledge consists of remembering that Luke was Darth Vader's son. Right before Mando took off his helmet for the first time, she was arguing with me that Din (and that "other guy with the helmet") must be robots. When Andor came out, her question was, "Is Baby Yoda in it? No? OK go ahead and watch without me."

But Andor's greatness is enabled by the movie lore that precedes it. When you layer all that spy intrigue onto such a richly crafted universe, it makes it doubly awesome. If we didn't already know and love the SW galaxy, it would be just a hipster sci fi indy serial without alien make up, dueling space wizards or Michael Bay explosions.

Back