Anderson Silva's PPV buy history

I don't see the comparison. Anderson did 300,000 as a challenger and Barao did 230,000. Next Anderson did 400,000 and Barao again did 230,000 when he was the main event and even having Aldo as the co main.

Barao as a co-main at UFC 165 did 310,000, but people were paying for mostly the main event with Jones. The only comparison there would be when Silva was co-main at UFC 101 and BJ Penn was the main and the PPV did 850,000.

No, Barao is not paralleling Anderson's PPV career.

Their numbers headlining ppv's early in their career are similar. 300K and 230K are similar
and 230K to 400K is a jump, but not a huge leap, its a 170K difference.

Just for the record, I don't think Barao will ever reach Andersons ppv level, and I don't expect him to get over 500K. The best he will do is against Cruz or maybe a guy like Edgar if he chooses to go down to 135, which he could because he is lighter on the streets than Barao.

I was there live too. Unbelievable day. First when to see the A's. Game ends, walk over to Oracle.

JDS-Nelson, Struve-Morecraft, Hendricks-Brenneman, Story-Hazelett, Hughes-Almeida. Sick card. And of course the main event. Wow.

A lot of people dont know this but JDS was the first Black House fighter to throw the front kick. He did it against Nelson at the end of round 2 I think. Anderson used it against Vitor a couple of fights later, then Machida on Couture.

Also, Hughes finished Almeida with a standing guillotine, exactly like JJ on Machida.

dam great card. I was in the skybox and saw two ladies throwing bombs at each other.

THAT's low??

Looks pretty good to me.

Not lowed; varied. I was expecting GSP numbers, which to looked to average around 800K. I think Silva is a 550K average; still great. I guess GSP is the ppv king, and Brock.

I'm guessing those are N. American ppv numbers. I can understand why Anderson got lower numbers like GSP, Chuck or ppv king Mayweather did. Anderson didn't promote the events to the same extend as those people did in N.A but most likely worked just as hard promoting them in Brazil.

So that is 7.3 million PPV buys. With an average cost of $55 that is $404 million. I think we can safely say that Anderson has brought tons of cash into the UFC. Love him, hate him whatever people paid to watch him. My guess is he would draw a 500k buy when he returns and if he is winning it will only continue. This is why the UFC is fine paying him what they do.

A lot of people dont know this but JDS was the first Black House fighter to throw the front kick. He did it against Nelson at the end of round 2 I think. Anderson used it against Vitor a couple of fights later, then Machida on Couture.

Also, Hughes finished Almeida with a standing guillotine, exactly like JJ on Machida.

dam great card. I was in the skybox and saw two ladies throwing bombs at each other.

Anderson_Silva_1000542.jpg

Franklin_vs._Machida.gif

So that is 7.3 million PPV buys. With an average cost of $55 that is $404 million. I think we can safely say that Anderson has brought tons of cash into the UFC. Love him, hate him whatever people paid to watch him. My guess is he would draw a 500k buy when he returns and if he is winning it will only continue. This is why the UFC is fine paying him what they do.

If/when he returns, expect it to be in a co-main event on a show with a Weidman or Jones title defence and 500K would be bare minimum. If they really load the show with Cormier-Hendo level fight underneath that, would probably break 800K.

Basically, Silva had to gain popularity. Only after the criticism made him need to act reckless did the viewers increase.

Here I am thinking wow, Travis Lutter is a pretty big draw, I wonder why they fired him.

Then I remember that card featured the UFC debuts of Rampage and Mirko. And who says hardcore fans don't buy PPVs?

Here I am thinking wow, Travis Lutter is a pretty big draw, I wonder why they fired him.

Then I remember that card featured the UFC debuts of Rampage and Mirko. And who says hardcore fans don't buy PPVs?

This is a very valid point. Entire cards should be taken in when figuring in ppv buys not just a fighter's bout out of context. I love Anderson to death but I really don't think he alone would sell 400,000 plus during the time he fought Cote or against the likes of Lutter. Front kicking people in the face would do it but like Dana said, "No one cared about Anderson until he kicked Vitor in the face."

Your confusing popularity with skills?

Jose will beat Pettis. The ufc knows it THAT IS WHY THIS SUPERFIGHT ISNT HAPPENING. ;p

Aldo is nowhere a big draw. But Pettis is.

Aldo beats pettis.

I think we would see wec Aldo if he didn't have to cut those last 10 lbs and got to put a little muscle on.

I will say this, the Okami numbers are a bit skewed because I remember there was a huge storm at the time and about half the eastern states were without power that night.

http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/

10/14/06 UFC 64 Franklin v. Silva 300,000
02/03/07 UFC 67 Silva v. Lutter 400,000
10/20/07 UFC 77 Franklin v. Silva II 325,000
03/01/08 UFC 82 Silva v. Henderson 325,000
10/25/08 UFC 90 Silva v. Cote 300,000
04/18/09 UFC 97 Silva v. Leites 650,000
04/10/2010 UFC 112 Silva vs. Maia 500,000
08/07/2010 UFC 117 Silva vs. Sonnen 600,000
02/05/2011 UFC 126 Silva vs. Belfort 725,000
08/27/2011 UFC 134 Silva vs. Okami 335,000
07/07/2012 UFC 148 Silva vs. Sonnen II 925,000
10/13/2012 UFC 153 Silva vs. Bonnar 410,000
07/06/2013 UFC 162 Silva vs Weidman 550,000
12/28/2013 UFC 168 Weidman vs SilvaII 1,025,000

Many low numbers close to what I've seen lately, with a few very high numbers due to Chael Sonnen and a stacked card rematch against Weidman.

Great numbers against Leites, Maia, Sonnen, and Belfort during MMA's height of popularity.

I just thought it was interesting, the range of buys for him. I thought he was more constant in his high rates.

He had very good numbers overall

You can bet his comeback PPV will get around 700k to 1M.

Nowadays Brazil is the second most profitable market for Zuffa (and still growing). You can safely say that without Silva that wouldn't have been possible.

All things considered I believe Silva was the fighter that brought in the most money for Zuffa.

Back