Media Anderson Silva Exposes Boxing HighGuard/BIG Glove Defense, they would get KTFO with 4oz Gloves.

Shoden

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
upload_2021-6-20_12-26-58-jpeg.862259

^^^^ This my friends, is why an MMA fighter will KTFO a boxer in a stand up only, 4oz fight.

They are used to shelling up/covering up with those big ass gloves when shit gets tough....That shit gets you killed in MMA....Not to mention, you ain't covering shit with 4ozers.....

Chavez tried to simply cover up but Anderson's precision was way too precise, he still got em even tho he had a big ass glove, imagine what would've happened if he had a 4oz........

Anderson Silva would've KTFO JCCJR with 4oz, no doubt in my mind.

I'll take Ngannou with 4oz over Fury any day......Paulie had a hardtime with fucking Artem lol.

^^^^ This my friends, is why an MMA fighter will KTFO a boxer in a stand up only, 4oz fight.

They are used to shelling up/covering up with those big ass gloves when shit gets tough....That shit gets you killed in MMA....Not to mention, you ain't covering shit with 4ozers.....

Chavez tried to simply cover up but Anderson's precision was way too precise, he still got em even tho he had a big ass glove, imagine what would've happened if he had a 4oz........

I'll take Ngannou with 4oz over Fury any day......Paulie had a hardtime with fucking Artem lol.
No because not everyone knows how to split the guard and not everyone is as precise as Anderson. Plus not everyone uses the high guard all fight. That's pretty basic defense and most roll and parry/slip with it as well and counter in between. Plus slick style boxers have an open guard that is filled with counters and lead punches so that will be a harder puzzle to solve. That style gives other high level boxers problems and will give mma fighters problems as well. Chavez Jr isn't the best representative for boxing skill. Fighters like Canelo/PAC/Floyd/Loma/Bud/Fury/etc is the type of boxers you want to assess and judge.

Fury doesn't use high guard "big glove" defense unless he gets rocked / hurt

He uses head / upper body movement
62f6d485f8b6d30247502c018c01d617.gif

giphy.gif

ValuableColorlessBarnowl-size_restricted.gif

And then long guard, which is what Jon Jones and tall fighters use a lot. It's hard to land a right hand when somebody has an 85 inch and their arm is extended like this
View attachment 862863
This. Not every boxer just shells up with a high guard.

Except high level boxers have better reflexes, head movement, footwork and overall defence than the vast majority of mma fighters.. lol

ridiculous to assume they all rely on the gloves

I don't know if you watch Bare knuckles boxing, but the fighters with MMA backgrounds seem to beat the fighters with boxing backgrounds more often.

Fury doesn't use high guard "big glove" defense unless he gets rocked / hurt

He uses head / upper body movement
62f6d485f8b6d30247502c018c01d617.gif

giphy.gif

ValuableColorlessBarnowl-size_restricted.gif

And then long guard, which is what Jon Jones and tall fighters use a lot. It's hard to land a right hand when somebody has an 85 inch and their arm is extended like this
View attachment 862863
<Dany07><Dany07><Dany07><Dany07>

Fury still uses his gloves to block...all boxers do and they are used to it even though sometimes they choose to bob/weave instead.

Fact is, most boxers would miss those big ass gloves to save em.

Last edited:
Fury still uses his gloves to block...all boxers do and they are used to it eve though sometimes they choose to bob/weave instead.

Fact is, most boxers would miss those big ass gloves to save em.

I agree with your main point that high guard / big glove blocking wouldn't work as well in MMA. I'm just saying that Fury isn't a boxer who relies on using high guard or his big gloves for defense.

Long guard and head movement both work very well in MMA. Long guard is mainly used by taller fighters with long reaches though

Claiming that Silva (an A level MMA fighter) exposed boxing by beating Chavez JR, who has sucked for years, if like saying Mercer exposed MMA by beating Tim Silva, who had by that point also sucked for years.

There are a lot of different defensive styles in boxing and yeah ,some guys use high guard and shell...but there are a lot of alternatives. If a top boxer was looking to transition to MMA, he/she would work on a different guard that would be more effective for MMA...it's not rocket science.

As a bunch of other folks already pointed out, splitting the guard is also a pretty well known tactic in boxing and is in fact taught as a way of dealing with a high guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back