Anderson Got Pwned

I don't like that comparison about 4 rounds vs. 10 seconds at all. Quick finishing is just not part of Sonnen's style. That doesn't mean he wasn't whooping Silva's ass. Fighting is about beating people up, whether or not you finish them. Chael imposed his will on this guy, made it whatever kind of fight he wanted, and all Anderson could do was hang on for dear life.

Sonnen was definitely whooping Silva's ass....... but the difference between good and great fighters is the ability to adapt and overcome. Every victory is not going to be a landslide victory. Nonetheless, one guy leaves the ring with a W and the other with an L, Anderson may have lost four rounds, but he was still the guy at the end with the W having his hand raised......... I think that fight proved more than any other Anderson has been in that he is a great champion, he overcame adversity, hung in there and found a way to win despite being down 4 rounds. How many times have we seen Fedor getting his ass whipped, but still he ends up in the middle of the ring with his hand raised (with one exception recently). Great champions don't always win by spectacular finishes or by totally dominating their opponent...... they just Win, and Anderson, well, the guy Wins.

That said: I think Chael should of gave Anderson a taste of his own medicine and just ran his ass around the outside of the ring for the entire 5th round, like a track star! He was up 4rds, run Chael run is what i would of been screaming from his corner!

Cause you know, he won. Oh, and "fighting is about beating people up"? First, MMA is not fighting, it's a sport. Second, if they were fighting, who would've won? The guy that dominated for 23 minutes or the guy that broke the other's arm?

Well if it was a real fight and not an MMA match, how would Anderson have gotten up after the first round? How would he have gotten those shots in on the feet that stunned Sonnen and softened him up for the finish later on? Sonnen expended a lot of energy in striking and taking down Anderson all those times....that would be out of the equation if the fight was on the street.

Sonnen proved to be the more skilled fighter. Anderson proved to be no pushover and able to take a massive beating and still have the heart to win.

Sonnen proved to be the more skilled fighter. Anderson proved to be no pushover and able to take a massive beating and still have the heart to win.

I disagree, Sonnen proved to be the dominant fighter in the first 4 rounds. But the more skilled fighter was the guy who won, despite being down 4 rds. Skill is not about always dominating your opponent, skill is about using any and every opportunity you have to win, Anderson did that, Sonnen didn't.

All these people saying Silva was receiving a beating/ass kicking are making it sound like the fight was like Cro Cop/Noguiera. Sonnen was winning the fight but he was outpointing Silva and not really causing much damage.

All these people saying Silva was receiving a beating/ass kicking are making it sound like the fight was like Cro Cop/Noguiera. Sonnen was winning the fight but he was outpointing Silva and not really causing much damage.

The first round Sonnen laid out some brutal damage. Anderson proved he has a nasty chin and can take some hard shots.

The first round Sonnen laid out some brutal damage. Anderson proved he has a nasty chin and can take some hard shots.

He can take a shot, but we new that from his fight's with Rich Franklin and Travis Lutter. What impressed me was despite Anderson being obviously "off his game", he stayed patient and found a way to win. Really, i think the biggest shot Sonnen landed was the straight left in the first round, and another big left in Rd 3 from Anderson's guard. But really, Anderson did a whole lot of damage, if not more damage than Sonnen, and he did it from his back...... That is pretty impressive!

Anderson was forced to come out swinging like an idiot due to Dana's pressure. When was the last time you saw Silva come out of the bell with reckless abandon?

Anderson was forced to come out swinging like an idiot due to Dana's pressure. When was the last time you saw Silva come out of the bell with reckless abandon?

Dana's pressure had nothing to do with it, since when has Anderson really shown he gives a damn what Dana thinks!

Anderson's wild swinging had nothing to do with Dana's pressure and everything to do with Chael putting pressure on Anderson. Chael didn't give Anderson the opportunity to bounce around around the ring for 2 minutes in the first round and try to find openings, get relaxed and get his timing down. How many times have we seen Anderson do almost nothing for 2-3 minutes of the first round? Then all of a sudden, the guy cant miss a single shot. His opponents respect him to much sometimes, they let him take his time and find his rhythm because they are intimidated by him. That is playing right into Anderson's game. He gets relaxed, sets the pace and finds his rhythm, he is a much more difficult puzzle to solve. Chael on the other hand walked right across the ring and made his ass fight, Anderson didn't have the luxury of getting relaxed and in his rhythm...... Which led to him making mistakes he typically does not make and Chael made him pay for those mistakes, without hesitation! Good damn strategy if ya ask me! bout worked!

Last edited:
Dana's pressure had nothing to do with it, since when has Anderson really shown he gives a damn what Dana thinks!

Anderson's wild swinging had nothing to do with Dana's pressure and everything to do with Chael putting pressure on Anderson. Chael didn't give Anderson the opportunity to bounce around around the ring for 2 minutes in the first round and try to find openings, get relaxed and get his timing down. How many times have we seen Anderson do almost nothing for 2-3 minutes of the first round? Then all of a sudden, the guy cant miss a single shot. His opponents respect him to much sometimes, they let him take his time and find his rhythm because they are intimidated by him. That is playing right into Anderson's game. He gets relaxed, sets the pace and finds his rhythm, he is a much more difficult puzzle to solve. Chael on the other hand walked right across the ring and made his ass fight, Anderson didn't have the luxury of getting relaxed and in his rhythm...... Which led to him making mistakes he typically does not make and Chael made him pay for those mistakes, without hesitation! Good damn strategy if ya ask me! bout worked!

hendo did the same thing and had similar success; only diff is he refused to continue wrestling silva and instead tried to fight him, loading up on that big right hand and stalking which allowed silva the time and space necessary to pick him apart.

this is similar to what shogun did to lyoto, rua was much more tech in how he applied pressure and much more judicious w/his attacks; nonetheless he, like chael stayed on his man and forced him to have to create space by fighting not by gliding, feinting around the ring.

diff being silva has a helluva chin and lyoto is still in question...

hendo did the same thing and had similar success; only diff is he refused to continue wrestling silva and instead tried to fight him, loading up on that big right hand and stalking which allowed silva the time and space necessary to pick him apart.

this is similar to what shogun did to lyoto, rua was much more tech in how he applied pressure and much more judicious w/his attacks; nonetheless he, like chael stayed on his man and forced him to have to create space by fighting not by gliding, feinting around the ring.

diff being silva has a helluva chin and lyoto is still in question...

Well said. I agree that Shogun had a similar strategy and used it well. Although i would not necessarily say he was more technical in applying pressure, quite the opposite really. He was a bit more reckless and aggressive in his approach, at times running across the ring towards Lyoto.......... Chael on the other hand was pretty measured and technical in applying pressure. He stayed in front of Anderson, but was patient enough to wait till Anderson gave him the opportunity he needed. He knew that if he pressured Silva, he would react offensively, which is exactly what got Anderson cracked with a left hand in rd 1 and taken down every round thereafter. Chael did not just Chase Anderson down and try to dump him. He stood in front of him and forced Anderson into being offensive, then used that opportunity to get him down on the mat.

My opinion, Lyoto is terribly overrated. On the other hand, Anderson is not given enough credit for being as smart of a fighter as he is. Anderson, in my opinion is not only the most well rounded fighter in MMA, he is undoubtedly the smartest fighter in the ring. Take this last fight for example. Ironically, Anderson comes out for the first time in the UFC wearing his BJJ gi and Black Belt..... given to him by Nog, who Chael decided to make some off-handed remarks about before the fight. Further, how has Chael been beat in his prior fights? By submission, while he was in top control. That submission Anderson caught him with, he was working for that submission the entire fight. Anderson is just a patient and calculated enough fighter to bide his time and wait for the right opportunity, and he did just that! Really, Anderson does not get nearly the credit he deserves for how smart of a fighter he truly is. He is constantly praised for his "world class striking", but rarely is he given credit for his greatest talent....... The ability to adapt, stay patient and capitalize on any opportunity his opponents give him. Anderson is a great fighter not because he never makes mistakes, but because he doesn't let his opponents make mistakes!

Some needs to educate me on how Anderson showed his great chin. I only watched the fight twice and only remember 2 shots that could have been considered truly damaging. For both Silva was on his back, once in the first smashed up against the cage and I believe in the third Sonnen stood over him and cracked him in much the same fashion.

2 clean good shots does not a great chin.

I think some of the outpouring of respect for Sonnen is based on him being underrated going in and Anderson being overrated. A lot of people expected a blowout for Silva, not a come from behind 5th round win, so if they even view Sonnen as a close 2nd to Anderson going forward, that's a big leap upwards.

How significant was the cut over Sonnen's eye (and his strong reaction to defend it after taking a right hand to the temple shortly before being subbed) in the outcome?

What did people think of Sonnen's conditioning? He looked a little glassy to me going in to the 5th, I actually thought Silva looked fresher. Sonnen had enough to move forward and get the takedown, but I wonder if he might have been more alert if he'd had more left.

Anderson, in my opinion is not only the most well rounded fighter in MMA, he is undoubtedly the smartest fighter in the ring.

I'll have to disagree with you here.

Ever since the loss to Griffin and his tiresome Coleman-fight, Shogun has become the most celebral fighter of the sport. The clinical dissection of Machida enabled him to do something no-one before him could: to defeat someone toted as the most elusive fighter of the UFC, twice by popular opinion.

Perhaps Anderson hasn't really had the opportunity to shine in the gameplan department given the nature of his attitude and fort

I think Chael should of gave Anderson a taste of his own medicine and just ran his ass around the outside of the ring for the entire 5th round, like a track star! He was up 4rds, run Chael run is what i would of been screaming from his corner!
Yep. His "i'm gonna a punch a hole in his head" mindset definitely screwed him in the end. Would have been funny to see him run around the ring for the last round. Props for trying to finish though.

I'll have to disagree with you here.

Ever since the loss to Griffin and his tiresome Coleman-fight, Shogun has become the most celebral fighter of the sport. The clinical dissection of Machida enabled him to do something no-one before him could: to defeat someone toted as the most elusive fighter of the UFC, twice by popular opinion.

Perhaps Anderson hasn't really had the opportunity to shine in the gameplan department given the nature of his attitude and fort

Last edited:
Shogun's conditioning is always suspect and he is not consistent enough "yet" to get the accolades that Anderson does. Shogun at his best is remarkable, but his best doesn't always show up, he is suspect and when he has a less than impressive performance it results in him losing.

You seem like a fairly knowledgeable and articulate guy - which is why I'm so surprised that you're making these fleeting comments about Shogun's conditioning. It's well-known that he underwent two reconstructive knee-surgeries prior to his matches against Griffin and Coleman. Naturally, his conditioning would be shot after that. But considering his fight history, his conditioning is excellent. Both looking back at his days in Pride, and to the fights he's had since Coleman - he is very much back.

It's easy to discredit Machida in retrospect - it's always easy to claim that a fighter was overrated once he's lost (I'm not taking stabs at you), but the truth is that Machida was undefeated, and had a perplexing game that no-one was able to crack. He was hard to hit, an effective countertriker, and he had an uncanny takedown defense. Say what you will, that's a very complete skillset to rely on.
Anderson's reputation now is what Machida's was a year ago. He just hasn't had the proper opposition to test him prior to Chael. You could argue Silva's greatness when he took a beating for four and a half rounds, only to nick a sub in the final minutes - but that would be disregarding Chael's notoriously poor submission defense.
While remarkable, the triangle choke wasn't the huge surprise of the fight - but rather that Chael showed that it's possible to crack Anderson Silva once you put him under pressure. Furthermore - the fact that he actually started schooling Silva at his own game on the feet only served to further chip away at Anderson's image.
While he possesses quite an impressive talent, I can't quite say that Anderson or his team are known to be particularly cerebral - Anderson has out-shined his opposition, not out-thought it. He didn't beat Maia, Griffin and Sonnen by exploiting holes in their game - he beat them by imposing his own.

Contrast that starkly to what Shogun and his team accomplished against Machida. It's even more uncanny when training footage showed that Shogun was drilling the exact counter that put Machida out, weeks prior to the fight. Their first fight was already a strategical masterpiece - but the second set the fact in stone: Shogun has got the best gameplanning team of the sport. If he so thoroughly defeated a man who had one of the most solid reputations of the organization - can you imagine what he'd come up with for Silva?

He landed a couple of punches.That does not equal getting "Pwned".

I disagree, Sonnen proved to be the dominant fighter in the first 4 rounds. But the more skilled fighter was the guy who won, despite being down 4 rds. Skill is not about always dominating your opponent, skill is about using any and every opportunity you have to win, Anderson did that, Sonnen didn't.

No, that's heart, and cardio...and a little of bit of luck with Sonnen getting gassed (something that Anderson did not do himself).

Skill would have been not allowing someone to impose their will on you and completely dominate and control you in every facet of the fight.

Back