An Analysis of the Howdy Choke (GIF Heavy)

its also called the 'leg drag' sometimes since you can end up there fairly often from a leg drag pass.

Woah that actually just blew my mind, I never put two and two together and realized the conection lol. Now I feel dumb!

Last edited:
Braulio uses the howdy as a sub quite a bit in sparring vids on his site.

Yeah I noticed that when I had my membership there. That was when it first opened though, has he broken it down yet or is it still mainly in action clips?

Woah that actually just blew my mind, I never put two and two together and realized they were the same position lol.

yeah leg turks are somewhat under utilized but its a strong technique that can show up in alot of situations. 10p guys 'twister side control' uses the same concept but with the far leg than the near leg.

Yeah I noticed that when I had my membership there. That was when it first opened though, has he broken it down yet or is it still mainly in action clips?

He has a two part instructional on it, including setting it up from the mount transition, finishing and using it to take the back.

He has a two part instructional on it, including setting it up from the mount transition, finishing and using it to take the back.

Damn, I might have to renew my membership. Braulio is an awesome teacher, I really like his overall game.

I think I trained with Braulio for about 4 months, amazing guy. We sparred striking a lot too. Id hit him with hop backside kicks to liver when he would come in for overhand. Anyway, he taught me how to do the switch punch lead superman that I now use and teach so often.

As for that Paulson position......well, that would be the hip lock entry I always do......It is not really anything like a wrestlers guillotine.....everything bending the body doesnt get thrown into being labelled Twister.....well, I should say it shouldn't. See when you dont know what stuff actually feels like when done to you then you dont really know. It is also essentially a passing and mounting position. AKA calls it Keysi. BJ Penn mounts. Roger Gracie had it off a takedown in Strikeforce.

I think I trained with Braulio for about 4 months, amazing guy. We sparred striking a lot too. Id hit him with hop backside kicks to liver when he would come in for overhand. Anyway, he taught me how to do the switch punch lead superman that I now use and teach so often.

As for that Paulson position......well, that would be the hip lock entry I always do......It is not really anything like a wrestlers guillotine.....everything bending the body doesnt get thrown into being labelled Twister.....well, I should say it shouldn't. See when you dont know what stuff actually feels like when done to you then you dont really know. It is also essentially a passing and mounting position. AKA calls it Keysi. BJ Penn mounts. Roger Gracie had it off a takedown in Strikeforce.

Isn't Penn's dope mount quite different? its similar leg position but reversed
bsxqj93.png

yes, but like what AKA calls Keysi position, you can just push the knee down and knee over to mount...........or can hip lock of course like the keysi or what Paulson is doing there or me in any of my hip lock finishes. That position has you twisty, but not the same as a Twister wRestlers Guillotine...diff.

Pretty cool mounted bicep slicer variation
[YT]iuXZM-4PaPM[/YT]

I've never been able to do this and get a solid choke. I'll check out his instructionals. I've been seeing him use it in sparring which is cool because I don't see many other top guys doing it. I've noticed it the gi he always grabs his own material with his supporting hand when he closes the RNC grip.

I've noticed that he also uses it to set up the darce and to take the back, which is really all I've used it for, but I looked after reading your post and there's a lot of InAction clips of him actually finishing with it. Maybe it's worth looking into. Have you had any success with it?

you are usually better off attacking with a darce control, rather than a howdy. Like in that gif that TS posted above.

It might work better in mma though, where your opponent has more incentive to extend his arms in different scenarios.

So for the howdy it's the same reason why you don't see the side choke/kata gatame that much in high level gi/nogi but you see it in high level MMA?

Excellent thread - thanks! I've actually seen this use in judo as a pin / crank / transition from N&S.

I got a nice howdy choke last night, if you want a nice technical choke, not muscle, take up the slack

Back