American Sambo question - Amir

Probably, but you should probably cite where your coming from. I remember alot of guys thinking the armbar is exclusive/was invented in BJJ, so whenever they saw Fedor armbar Coleman, they thought he had insane BJJ.

I don't think anyone on these forum's is dumb enough to think bjj "invented" anything, same for sambo these techniques are alot more than 100yrs old as neither system is any older than that. IMO BJJ is still evolving and bjj as is practiced today is different than 30-40yrs ago.

I don't think anyone on these forum's is dumb enough to think bjj "invented" anything, same for sambo these techniques are alot more than 100yrs old as neither system is any older than that. IMO BJJ is still evolving and bjj as is practiced today is different than 30-40yrs ago.

Maybe not this forum, but surely you can't say the same about the Heavies.

lies everyone judo and jiujitsu were created by some guy named maeda who just lost to miguell torres in the wec. SOme guy named kano also played a part but sonia blade broke his neck at the mortal kombat tournament.

My thought is that people use Jiujitsu to encompass grappling from the bottom position. I hear friends of mine that have been watching mma for a long time and who loved Pride tell people that "fedor has mean jiujitsu off his back", but then refer to him on top and the feet as having been trained in sambo.

I think it was pretty shady to never mention that Amir trained sambo, and really it is just adding to the miseducation that is out there. So many people I run into who think they know a lot about grappling end up just knowing a bunch of misinformation.

You do realize Amir trains/has trained ALOT of BJJ right? Because you are starting to look like a guy with an agenda, and you are looking silly with some of these comments.

Actually I know very little about Amir and/or his background other than what I've gleaned from this thread and the show. I meant it in a sarcastic way to poke poke fun at those very same people who think that BJJ is the only grappling art that matters. Did my comments offend you? Because if it did, then I know that it hit the intended target.

I am coming from the simple fact Amir trained ALOT of BJJ, I already mentioned his trainer was Rick McCoy (one of his main grappling trainers). Rick is decorated as an all around grappler, but seeing he is a BJJ BB, I daresay he does teach BJJ along with the rest of his game (he is a good Sambo guy as well)..

So that was a jiu-jitsu armbar and not a sambo armbar that he put on C.B.? Once again, I'll state that I know very little about Amir or his training, but it seems like you are just "hunting" for some kind of connection that he has with BJJ. Who's really the guy with the agenda?

Actually I know very little about Amir and/or his background other than what I've gleaned from this thread and the show. I meant it in a sarcastic way to poke poke fun at those very same people who think that BJJ is the only grappling art that matters. Did my comments offend you? Because if it did, then I know that it hit the intended target.

So that was a jiu-jitsu armbar and not a sambo armbar that he put on C.B.? Once again, I'll state that I know very little about Amir or his training, but it seems like you are just "hunting" for some kind of connection that he has with BJJ. Who's really the guy with the agenda?

Well since you said this after a comment about NOT training BJJ Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimuralex
on the UFC all access a while back arlovski is shown and talks about training bjj in chicago.

you would be a fool not to train bjj and doing mma(unless your fedor).

I'd say your agenda is pretty clear. AS for whether the armlock was Sambo or BJJ, well he did do it after a triangle position set up, and if you know anything about sambo, you know chokes are illegal. So you figure out where you would practice an armlock after a choke attempt.

My point isnt that he DID train BJJ, my point is alot of people with agendas to open their mouths get frothy over not too much when there are very, very few purists around anymore, period. As for "hunting" what is there to hunt, the guy trained with a BJJ BB, not exactly a huge conspiracy.

"if you know anything about sambo, you know chokes are illegal."

Are you certain? I was pretty sure the most popular north american variant (combat sambo is it?) allowed chokes...hmm

Are you certain? I was pretty sure the most popular north american variant (combat sambo is it?) allowed chokes...hmm

I have no idea about North American variants. I do know chokes were illegal because folks during Stalinist Russia wanted to pursue Judo, but because it was associated with Japan it was a good way to get Gulag'd or killed. So they made a few rules that had contrastst to Judo rules (leg locks and no chokes).

As for Agendas its pretty clear several people got WAY too hot and bothered thinking Amir was tapping guys out with no BJJ training. While there are plenty of good submission arts guys can train and catch top level guys (CSW, Catch, Judo, Sambo, etc) in this case Its just not the whole story with Amir. I was just trying to stop too much stroking before they had their hearts broken when its clear Amir did train BJJ for a good bit.

I have no idea about North American variants. I do know chokes were illegal because folks during Stalinist Russia wanted to pursue Judo, but because it was associated with Japan it was a good way to get Gulag'd or killed. So they made a few rules that had contrastst to Judo rules (leg locks and no chokes).

As for Agendas its pretty clear several people got WAY too hot and bothered thinking Amir was tapping guys out with no BJJ training. While there are plenty of good submission arts guys can train and catch top level guys (CSW, Catch, Judo, Sambo, etc) in this case Its just not the whole story with Amir. I was just trying to stop too much stroking before they had their hearts broken when its clear Amir did train BJJ for a good bit.

Don't be confused between what the sport rules are and what people train. Most sambo guys I know (here and in Russia) train chokes.

Everyone should step back and realize that TUF's omission of mentioning Amir's BJJ background is just as neglectful as their mentioning of his sambo background. It is all about whatever image they want to present, not presenting reality to the viewers. You are never going to get a straight story from any "reality" show.

And, debating whether an armbar is a sambo or BJJ armbar is just plain stupid. An armbar is an armbar.

And, debating whether an armbar is a sambo or BJJ armbar is just plain stupid. An armbar is an armbar.

Which was my point in addrtessing his question, what's dumber is getting over excited hoping a guy got a few submissions without training BJJ. Fact is Sambo and BJJ are Judo's kids. You would think folks would see in this day and age the line blurs alot.

That's the whole reason I asked whether it was a sambo armbar or a jiu jitsu armbar. My whole intention from the beginning was to poke fun at the guys who believe that jits is the only thing that matters.

That's the whole reason I asked whether it was a sambo armbar or a jiu jitsu armbar. My whole intention from the beginning was to poke fun at the guys who believe that jits is the only thing that matters.

Well, clearly it was a sambo arm bar since he didn't miss it :icon_chee.

is there a source on Amir's background in the first place?

Amir trained under Rick McCoy in Richmond, VA. McCoy is a very good coach. He owns the MMA Institute in Richmond, VA. Google it, they have a website. I know this b/c I am doing an internship under Rick right now for school.

lol :icon_chee
I hope I hit a few Sambo armbars tonight; those bjj armbars are nothing but failures!!! :icon_twis

I think thats been my problem too, I keep going for BJJ armbars.

Back