American Sambo question - Amir

dickcheney

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Hey, so Amir is a black belt in sambo and i was just wondering if anyone could give me an insight about the level of blackbelt someone could be from an american sambo instructor. Or basically how legit is his Sambo blackbelt being from america

just wanting to put it in perspective as, being from LA all i see are bjj schools, and you can usually easily trace the big schools instructor belt lineage

so, any comments on the level of black belt that amir is, or the quality of sambo in america?

Sambo doesn't usually give out belts. Though some organizations inside the US do.

Looking at his fights though, the little Sambo trips and subs off his back remind me of Fedor. They are so clean when they go for a sub, I rarely see either fail to get it, unlike most BJJ guys. You can throw in other Sambo practitioners like Fujii and Arlovski. Arlovski rarely goes to the ground, but when he wants a sub he gets it. See his achilles lock on Sylvia or his fight against Aaron Brink.

Sambo doesn't usually give out belts. Though some organizations inside the US do.

Looking at his fights though, the little Sambo trips and subs off his back remind me of Fedor. They are so clean when they go for a sub, I rarely see either fail to get it, unlike most BJJ guys. You can throw in other Sambo practitioners like Fujii and Arlovski. Arlovski rarely goes to the ground, but when he wants a sub he gets it. See his achilles lock on Sylvia or his fight against Aaron Brink.

Lol. So most BJJ guys miss their subs while sambo guys rarely fail?

Get real.

So most BJJ guys miss their subs while sambo guys rarely fail?

Among the elite of each respective style, yes.

Sambo
1.) Fedor has only missed one sub and that was against a 7'2'' 360 pound Korean.
2.) Fujii hasn't missed any that I recall. She's also number 1 PFP and undefeated like Fedor. She won by submission 12 out of 15 fights.
3.) Amir didn't miss any in his short, but potentially promising career.

BJJ
1.) Jacare missed numerous sub attempts. In his fight with Mayhem alone he had numerous chances to sub him. There is even a picture of Mayhem laughing at his leg lock attempt.

2.) Arona has missed numerous sub attempts as well. The fight against Rampage comes to mind or even his LnP against Fedor. In fact, Fedor reversed Arona from mount many a time. Arona's also lucky RINGS didn't allow GnP.

3.) Pe de Pano couldn't even sub Arlovski on the ground. Arlovski had no problem defending on the ground and as soon as Herb-A-Dean stepped away he GnPed PDP to hell.

Sambo
1.) Fedor has only missed one sub and that was against a 7'2'' 360 pound Korean.
2.) Fujii hasn't missed any that I recall. She's also number 1 PFP and undefeated like Fedor. She won by submission 12 out of 15 fights.

BJJ
1.) Jacare missed numerous sub attempts. In his fight with Mayhem alone he had numerous chances to sub him. There is even a picture of Mayhem laughing at his leg lock attempt.

2.) Arona has missed numerous sub attempts as well. The fight against Rampage comes to mind or even his LnP against Fedor. In fact, Fedor reversed Arona from mount many a time. Arona's also lucky RINGS didn't allow GnP.

3.) Pe de Pano couldn't even sub Arlovski on the ground. Arlovski had no problem defending on the ground and as soon as Herb-A-Dean stepped away he GnPed PDP to hell.

get out of the grappling forum, agenda's aren't accepted here.

get out of the grappling forum, agenda's aren't accepted here.

Will do, however, this sort of ad hominem is expected when someone presents facts supporting their argument rather than mindless smoke and mirrors.

Will do, however, this sort of ad hominem is expected when someone presents facts supporting their argument rather than mindless generalizations.

Mindless generalizations? Reflect upon your own statements and realize the absurdity of what you said. You must realize that Sambo is not > than BJJ nor is BJJ > Sambo but they are fundamentally the same as they are grappling arts.

Is it even fucking possible to start a thread on Judo/SAMBO/wrestling here without someone trying turn it into a "BJJ is better than everything" thread? God damn...

Anyone, yeah, in Russia and the former Soviet countries, belts aren't given out for SAMBO. It's just used by many American organizations as a marketing tool. The Russians will give out a title known as "Master of Sport" to highly ranked practitioners. From what I've seen, this title is much harder to get than say...a black belt in Judo/BJJ. I've read they're really only given to national/international SAMBO champions.

Also...ehh...the SAMBO in America certainly isn't at the level of the former Soviet Union countries. We do have some good practitioners, though. SamboSteve could probably answer your questions better than anyone here on the forum.

LOL Sambo guys never miss subs?

Might wanna watch this season of TUF again because I recall Amir missing a lot of subs.

I practice sambo, I miss subs a lot.

Most (good) sambo schools do not give out belts. You can become a master of sport though, which is a similar equivalent.

Is it even fucking possible to start a thread on Judo/SAMBO/wrestling here without someone trying turn it into a "BJJ is better than everything" thread? God damn...

Anyone, yeah, in Russia and the former Soviet countries, belts aren't given out for SAMBO. It's just used by many American organizations as a marketing tool. The Russians will give out a title known as "Master of Sport" to highly ranked practitioners. From what I've seen, this title is much harder to get than say...a black belt in Judo/BJJ. I've read they're really only given to national/international SAMBO champions.

Also...ehh...the SAMBO in America certainly isn't at the level of the former Soviet Union countries. We do have some good practitioners, though. SamboSteve could probably answer your questions better than anyone here on the forum.

Wait....who said BJJ > all?

Actually, in this thread, Sambo > all. Not only Sambo > all, but sambo guys never miss subs. hahaha

Sambo

BJJ

Hahahaha. Seriously, do you even watch MMA?

i didn't think sambo used belts? makes you wonder if it's the same style from russia, or mcdojo like near me?
Welcome To Combat Sambo

I like their intro with it's bootleg version of Sandstorm, and the testimonials are amazing. But I don't know anything about that school so I won't comment on the actual curriculum.

Will do, however, this sort of ad hominem is expected when someone presents facts supporting their argument rather than mindless smoke and mirrors.

Amir missed several subs during his time on TUF. Also consider the caliber of fighters you're comparing. You take some Sambo based fighters and mention some non-submission oriented fighters that they've subbed (Fedor over Coleman and so on). Then you mention things like Jacare not finishing Miller, who has an excellent ground game, and Pe De Pano, who had Arlovski in a leglock until that ridiculous near-standup followed by the punch. But of course Arlovski was so calm, that's why he illegally kicked to the head right?

What I'm saying is that you can't pick a few Sambo fighters and mention some select submissions from selected fights, and erroneously state that they never miss a submission, and then pick another handful of bjj fighters and compare them to highly skilled fighters and point out submissions they missed, and then conclude that Sambo fighters finish their submissions more effectively than bjj fighters. It's a silly statement to make.

Sambo

BJJ

Ask Megumi if her Sambo is better than Kyra's BJJ

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6tm6OzrNKw&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6tm6OzrNKw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

On the contrary, it is people like Systemanoob who compare their style to BJJ. They always try to turn everything into an "Everything is better than BJJ" thread. Elite Sambo comrades are no better than elite BJJ or judo guys. It is arrogance to think otherwise.

Amir missed several subs during his time on TUF. Also consider the caliber of fighters you're comparing. You take some Sambo based fighters and mention some non-submission oriented fighters that they've subbed (Fedor over Coleman and so on). Then you mention things like Jacare not finishing Miller, who has an excellent ground game, and Pe De Pano, who had Arlovski in a leglock until that ridiculous near-standup followed by the punch. But of course Arlovski was so calm, that's why he illegally kicked to the head right?

What I'm saying is that you can't pick a few Sambo fighters and mention some select submissions from selected fights, and erroneously state that they never miss a submission, and then pick another handful of bjj fighters and compare them to highly skilled fighters and point out submissions they missed, and then conclude that Sambo fighters finish their submissions more effectively than bjj fighters. It's a silly statement to make.

While obviously I agree with you, I dont even think thats the biggest thing - what systemanoob said was that Sambo guys dont miss subs! lol how anyone who has ever trained and watched mma could ever say something so ignorant is beyond comprehension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back