American Sambo question - Amir

FYI, I know several sambo guys who went to the TUF try outs and left becasue they were told straight out that they could not use leg locks in the grappling try outs. So, my guess is that sambo is not PC as far as TUF is concerned.

that is BS, what next- they tell them no low kicks in the striking try outs?

So if imanari tried out for TUF theres a good chance he wouldnt have even made it, despite the fact he is top shelf when allowed to play his game.

Those guys are all supposed to be aiming to be top shelf mma fighters- if they cant get leg locked in the tryouts for safety concerns its BS, the 'try outs' arent an accruate representation of skills.

Those guys are all supposed to be aiming to be top shelf mma fighters- if they cant get leg locked in the tryouts for safety concerns its BS, the 'try outs' arent an accruate representation of skills.

If you really think the best guys are always the ones chosen for that show.........if anything that show has proven the try outs are more in the camera and personality sort than fighting skills, they have had a literal army of very, very underskilled guys get onto that show. The winners are always at least decent, but some of the guys on that show I am like WTF?

If you really think the best guys are always the ones chosen for that show.........if anything that show has proven the try outs are more in the camera and personality sort than fighting skills, they have had a literal army of very, very underskilled guys get onto that show. The winners are always at least decent, but some of the guys on that show I am like WTF?

Exactly. They are told at the try outs that it is not about who is the best fighter there. It is about who is the best for TV.

Amir had plenty of mis-sub attempts...

Did you even watch his fights....Of course he didn't missed the submission he finished, but NEWS FLASH - NOBODY misses the submission they finished!!!!!!

... Arlovski's ground game primarily BJJ...

Nonsense. Just because someone put BJJ as one of Arlovski's styles on wikipedia (with no source) doesn't mean he practices it. Reminds of how Fedor's page often says he does BJJ when he himself said he hasn't had a BJJ class in his life.

BTW, Arlovski won two silver medals in Sambo competitions earning him an International master of Sport. We just don't see it that often because he likes to spawl, then brawl.

^arlovski has a ground game? Lol jk, but seriously the guy never uses it, even when he could win a fight by doing it, if he took rizzo down he wouldn't have gotten ktfo. I've given up on arlovski playing the smart route, and just hope for him to go in and smash heads :D

Arlovski does train BJJ since coming to the US

Nonsense. Just because someone put BJJ as one of Arlovski's styles on wikipedia (with no source) doesn't mean he practices it. Reminds of how Fedor's page often says he does BJJ when he himself said he hasn't had a BJJ class in his life.

BTW, Arlovski won two silver medals in Sambo competitions earning him an International master of Sport. We just don't see it that often because he likes to spawl, then brawl.

on the UFC all access a while back arlovski is shown and talks about training bjj in chicago.

you would be a fool not to train bjj and doing mma(unless your fedor).

FYI, I know several sambo guys who went to the TUF try outs and left becasue they were told straight out that they could not use leg locks in the grappling try outs. So, my guess is that sambo is not PC as far as TUF is concerned.

that doesnt make any sense, why would they leave? they cant do other submissions or something?

I mean if i went all the way to TUF tryouts and was told i couldnt do armlocks....then i would be like ok fuck it, and try for chokes/leglocks/neck cranks and the rest of the stuff, why would anyone leave?

Although i disagree with that, i can kindof see where theyre going with, dana white has been quoted saying many times that you NEED to have a groundgame coming into the show, but not neccessarily a good standup game, because in the limited time you cant learn the groundgame, but the with the striking I guess they show you more defense/avoidance.....so guys with poor groundgames would learn heel hooks(which imo is an easy submission to learn and is extremely high percentage, especially against more technical grapplers) and go for them 100 percent and rising the injury rate

What I find more intresting than this debate on missed submissions, is how Amir's grappling background was portrayed on TUF.

During the series you heard about many of the fighters BJJ backgrounds, belt rank trainers ect, but Amir they would just mention he had good submission skills.

Does anyone here think that this is because the majority of TUF fans equate BJJ with submissions but don't recongize the other grappling arts such as sambo and judo.

Hell, half of this forum believe BJJ is the end-all be-all of grappling arts.

Thats what I thought - that he was a straight kickboxer with virtually no ground game.

After his third submission we obviously found out thats not true haha. I cant understand why they wouldnt discuss his grappling background.

TTYTT I didn't even know that he was a sambo practitioner until I read this thread. Was it ever mentioned in the series that he knew sambo?

You do realize Amir trains/has trained ALOT of BJJ right? Because you are starting to look like a guy with an agenda, and you are looking silly with some of these comments.

that doesnt make any sense, why would they leave? they cant do other submissions or something?

I mean if i went all the way to TUF tryouts and was told i couldnt do armlocks....then i would be like ok fuck it, and try for chokes/leglocks/neck cranks and the rest of the stuff, why would anyone leave?

Although i disagree with that, i can kindof see where theyre going with, dana white has been quoted saying many times that you NEED to have a groundgame coming into the show, but not neccessarily a good standup game, because in the limited time you cant learn the groundgame, but the with the striking I guess they show you more defense/avoidance.....so guys with poor groundgames would learn heel hooks(which imo is an easy submission to learn and is extremely high percentage, especially against more technical grapplers) and go for them 100 percent and rising the injury rate

I know two guys did stay and beat their two opponents, but still were not chosen.
I would not leave either, but I guess they sensed that the cards were stacked against them anyway. Who knows.

You do realize Amir trains/has trained ALOT of BJJ right? Because you are starting to look like a guy with an agenda, and you are looking silly with some of these comments.

Probably, but you should probably cite where your coming from. I remember alot of guys thinking the armbar is exclusive/was invented in BJJ, so whenever they saw Fedor armbar Coleman, they thought he had insane BJJ.

I am coming from the simple fact Amir trained ALOT of BJJ, I already mentioned his trainer was Rick McCoy (one of his main grappling trainers). Rick is decorated as an all around grappler, but seeing he is a BJJ BB, I daresay he does teach BJJ along with the rest of his game (he is a good Sambo guy as well). Pretty certain the other guy mentioned as one of his trainers has ALOT of BJJ time as well. The Richmond area, as well as several places in VA are pretty good with regards to good BJJ and sub grappling training. Alot of the guys in VA are BOTH Sambo and BJJ though, which is a good thing.

As for people thinking BJJ is the end all be all, it seems alot of them forget its dad is Judo, and for the most part you can see every submission they use today (or at least 80%) in Kano's book.

Probably, but you should probably cite where your coming from. I remember alot of guys thinking the armbar is exclusive/was invented in BJJ, so whenever they saw Fedor armbar Coleman, they thought he had insane BJJ.

Really? You "remember" that? Are you sure you're not just "making it up?"

Are you the same person who said that Fedor and Arlovski never miss submissions?

Do you expect anyone one here to ever take you seriously or listen to anything you say ever again?

Back