American cars being unreliable, a big misconception or fact?

The older the US car is generally the better it is. Look at all the classic cars from the 30s/40s/50s that still run today with minimal maintenance. They were built like tanks.

Then sometime around the late 60s/70s car companies realized they could get higher profit margins by making cars out of cheaper materials. By the 90s, US cars were teh suckage and Japanese and German counterparts were far superior. Cars from the 90s are like 90% plastic and parts wear out on them so fast, they were built on a planned obsolescence model.

The older the US car is generally the better it is. Look at all the classic cars from the 30s/40s/50s that still run today with minimal maintenance. They were built like tanks.

Then sometime around the late 60s/70s car companies realized they could get higher profit margins by making cars out of cheaper materials. By the 90s, US cars were teh suckage and Japanese and German counterparts were far superior. Cars from the 90s are like 90% plastic and parts wear out on them so fast, they were built on a planned obsolescence model.

agree, only thing the cars were good for in the 90's was racing. i mean towards the begining of the 2000's there was a GM leading every single auto racing category (minus f-1 and indy)
The C5R's and Vipers were raining havoc on European counter parts

I think it has more to do with those cars being 1st generation & collectible rather than because of their durability. Which is why you still see those cars around. You don't see to many 70's and 80's Mustangs because no one wants them, as a result no one bothered to restore or keep them around.

been in plenty, and im guessing you've never been in any of the newer american cars to know what im talking about. The new caddy's are fucking amazing to bad your to arrogant to know?
oh and my mom had a Maserati when we moved to plano, i know what quality is smart ass

They are shitty when compared to German and Japanese luxury cars. They are shitty when compared to older lincoln and caddillcacs. You have shitty taste

Back