American cars being unreliable, a big misconception or fact?

I was in a 2012 chrysler 300S for a couple hours on black friday. There is nothing cheap feeling about it. It is a $39,000 car so it shouldnt feel cheap.

My wifes old Civic had 245,000 miles on it and still was running great when we traded it in. One of my current cars is an Elantra that has 138,000 miles and still runs decently. Havent had American yet though.

Very decieving pic, both of the ones you posted. They look and feel cheap in person, especially compared to their competition.

I've ridden in both vehicles and I can confidently say you're wrong.

I've ridden in both vehicles and I can confidently say you're wrong.

Ive owned a chey tahoe and the fake steel they have in the interior tears away after a couple of years. The finish on the dashboard also peels away after awhile. My fathers 2004 lexus lx470 is still in pristine condition. Americans suck at making luxury cars.

Problem is American cars' rep is hard to shake and overall they still make really boring cars.

i agree.

americans may be producing more reliable vehicles, but their designs continue to be horrendous.

German engineering is overrated. My mom has owned 2 VWs,and I know several other people who owned VWs,and they ran like crap,always needing something fixed.

The 80s and 90s forged a reputation for U.S. vehicles that persists to this day,and it was well earned. Oh,and most domestics have crap interiors. Every time a new Corvette comes out,every magazine talks about how Chevy seems to refuse to give it an interior to match the price point.

Very decieving pic, both of the ones you posted. They look and feel cheap in person, especially compared to their competition.

No they are, how about i show you a vid? They look pretty damn close an for bonus, a black diamond CTS-v

My old 1992 ford ranger with 200k+ miles is laughingly at this thread. My 00' passat with 98k is barely running.

My mother has a Caddy SRX that is lovely inside and drives amazingly 2010 I believe.

3. Pretty much all the experts agree that American cars are now superior in most ways.

5. Good chance TS is asian. Asian eople are the ones who are passive aggressive in their ridicule of American cars. Consistantly. They lie to themselves.

3 Opinion is not fact bra, post the proof.

Superior ? I honestly cant come up with a single way other then number of RWD V8s .

Hell I wanted a Pontiac G8 RWD V8 4 door awesome looking beast.

Till I sat in that POS interior and was disgusted. I remember a commercial where they were making fun of a 3 series. I though WTF is the general retarded.

Id kill to get a chance to buy a Ford Falcon.

I have a 98 f150 and that thing runs like its new still. Just bought a 2013 focus SE so we will see how that goes.

If by "new" you mean 1947, then yes, Hyundai (korean car company) has a lot to prove being the new kid on the block :wink:

Ok smart ass. I meant new to US and alot of foreign markets.

Yes they made cars in the US and other countries before but they weren't marketed well at all and frankly weren't very good cars. Now they're reimaged themselves and put a little effort in their cars, as a result they're producing pretty good cars for their price points.

Much like what Korea has done with electronics, in the 90's and early 2000's Korean electronics makers were shit and subpar compared to Japanese and even US manufacturers. They reimaged themselves, put some marketing behind it and made good products. Now they some of the best goods right now.

I notice that American cars in general have smaller interiors than is suggested by the exterior sizes. Sit inside a Chrysler, Ford, or GM and you're just bear-hugged by hard plastics.

The Japanese reputation for reliability - reserved solely for Honda and Toyota - dates back to the 80s. For Korean and American cars, it's more like the mid-2000s. And it's true that Honda and Toyota have the highest resale values. It's amazing that automakers such as GM and Ford with histories dating back nearly 100 years have only begun producing reliable machines within the past decade.

My family's 2000 Honda Odyssey with 320,000 KM runs as smoothly as if it were new, no kidding. When we toured Las Vegas and SoCal our rental car was a white Chrysler Pacifica with less than 30,000 miles. Terrible car all-around. With such low mileage the handbrake was already broken. The interior was cramped considering how large the car actually is; the engine gutless; the seats rock hard; and the styling totally laughable. Chryslers look awesome but they sport the worst quality and reliability ratings of the Detroit Three. BTW the Pacifica has been discontinued.

And Asians generally discriminate against American cars. I reckon 90% of Asian-Americans and Asian-Canadians buy only import brands (Japanese, Korean, European).

Last edited:
In and around Toronto you can still regularly spot Hondas and Toyotas from the 80s and early nineties. I can't say the same for American cars.

Well that's Canada.

The fact that temperature fluctuations in Canada are more extreme than, say, Southern California means car lifespan is lower here.

Last edited:
No they are, how about i show you a vid? They look pretty damn close an for bonus, a black diamond CTS-v

Im guessing youve never been in any car worth shit or dont know the difference between quality and cheap shit

American cars get a bad wrap. Yes in the 90s-early 2000s they were sucking. A lot of that has to do with, the way we drive our cars. We beat the hell out of them. Stop and go traffic, 120 daily round trip commutes to work, outside in the elements, lugging along 5 people plus a bunch of other crap, using your car for things it wasn't made for.

Most People are stupid. Stupid people buy stupid cars, and then do stupid things to there stupid car. They then don't maintain there stupid car, because they were to stupid to read the owners manual. Or they are stupid and attempt to tow there 20,000lb boat behind there stupid car. Stupid car blows up. Stupid family discuss stupidly, why there stupid car broke.

/end rant

American cars are great. They make the best trucks and SUVs in the world. They make amazing sports cars that are actually affordable enough for almost anyone to purchase one. Our luxury cars are stunning and beautiful, and often half the price of a European competitor. Were back to making kick ass car.

My cars have been

a 1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. Im Uncle bought it off the lot, he sold it to me, and by the time I finally destroyed the transmission, and choose not to pay $900 too have a new one installed. It had 278k miles on it. And still ran great other then the tranny.

My currant 05 Dodge Durango I bought new. It is approaching 100k miles, and I have never had one issue with this car. Nothing. I beat the hell out of this car, but I also take car of it, and it's 5.7 Hemi V8. I really love this car, and hope it goes for another 100k.

Most American cars are great, Just a lot of dumb people can't properly operate and maintain there own cars. They are often compared to top of the line European brands, which are usually 2 to 5 times the price of the comparable america car.

You want to compare a mustang to a Ferrari, then build a $30k Ferrari and we'll see how it does

Last edited:
Im guessing youve never been in any car worth shit or dont know the difference between quality and cheap shit

been in plenty, and im guessing you've never been in any of the newer american cars to know what im talking about. The new caddy's are fucking amazing to bad your to arrogant to know?
oh and my mom had a Maserati when we moved to plano, i know what quality is smart ass

Back