American cars being unreliable, a big misconception or fact?

KoreanZawmbie

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I never got this misconception. The popular notion out in the automotive world is that German, Japanese and Korean cars are reliable, while American cars will break down on you.

However, just based off of my experience, my dads 2002 Chevy Silverado did 160K miles EASY, not a single problem mechanically. We also had a 95' town lincoln back in the days, and it racked over 200K miles EASY. I remember riding in that car when I was a kid, and the interior was rock solid just as I remembered it the first time i rode in it. Funny enough, the cars we did have reliability problems with, were Japanese! My fathers 98' Lexus SC 400 transmission took a dump. Instead of rebuilding the tranny, he sold it. We also had an Infiniti Q45 which was a 60K car at the time, and recurring problem with the radiator and motor mount.

Okay, of course it depends from model to model, as no one car is really made the same, and other contributing factors such as up keeping with maintenance, however so many times I hear people saying stay away from American cars like the plague....What are your guy's opinions? Does American brand cars really deserve this kind of rap sheet?

depends which make model.

my pathfinder has been an absolute lemon. i would happily trade it for an American suv with some intestinal fortitude.

Years ago that would be true. Now a days I think the playing field had become some what equal but I still lean towards Asain vehicles. I own a Toyota Sienna...swagger wagon.

I will add that my Auntie has a Honda Accord that has been around since before I was born. Thing is still running strong some 32 years later.

It's not so much that they breakdown it's that they can't take corners to save their lives (or literally yours) and the interiors are beyond shit, everything feels hollow and cheap.

Don't feel bad though the French make worse cars.

My Jeep was made in the states and has yet to break down.

2001 model, Wrangler.

Has been saving my ass this winter with all the snow.

It boils down to whether or not you take care of your vehicle.

With no maintenance, not even an oil change, MAYBE a japanese/korean car will last a few miles longer. But with a good owner who keeps the car in tip/top shape? Most cars will last a very long time.

It's not so much that they breakdown it's that they can't take corners to save their lives (or literally yours) and the interiors are beyond shit, everything feels hollow and cheap.

Honestly, how many American cars have you owned/driven?

A lot of modern American SUVS, Trucks, and Sedans have fine interiors.

The matter of steering is case by case, obviously.

2012-Chevrolet-Silverado-3500HD-Interior-View-e1318315580856.jpg

2012 Chevy Silverado interior, keep in mind this is a work truck.

It boils down to whether or not you take care of your vehicle.

With no maintenance, not even an oil change, MAYBE a japanese/korean car will last a few miles longer. But with a good owner who keeps the car in tip/top shape? Most cars will last a very long time.

This is also true.

When I had my Camry I took poor care of it and (low and behold) I got poor performance out of the vehicle.

Not many break downs but when I was looking to sell the car I realized I would have to put over 1k in repairs to even get it up to snuff again, no chance.

2011-chrysler-300-interior.jpeg.jpg

More pretty interior, this is from a Chrysler 300 (2012).

Cars also a treat to drive, very smooth, very quiet.

I've never driven an American car but I'll take my Australian Ford over anything. You can put these cars through hell and they'll still perform.

At my last place of work they had a 2001 F150 with over 180k miles on it, was used day in day out and it still performed admirably.

I can dig me some Fords.

2011-chrysler-300-interior.jpeg.jpg

More pretty interior, this is from a Chrysler 300 (2012).

Cars also a treat to drive, very smooth, very quiet.

I don't think he's talking about the asthetics but the actual build quality. And I agree, a lot of the interior of American cars are built from cheap plastic, crappy foam for th seating, pleather, etc.l

This is also true.

When I had my Camry I took poor care of it and (low and behold) I got poor performance out of the vehicle.

Not many break downs but when I was looking to sell the car I realized I would have to put over 1k in repairs to even get it up to snuff again, no chance.

Yep. Been there.

What about the previous gen Corollas? The interior on those things look 2 grades below fisher price quality. Also, roll up windows lol, no automatic locks?

I don't think he's talking about the asthetics but the actual build quality. And I agree, a lot of the interior of American cars are built from cheap plastic, crappy foam for th seating, pleather, etc.l

You get what you pay for.

The cheaper models have cloth and more simplistic aesthetics, because you're opting out for the (wait for it) CHEAP model.

The higher end models offer solid leather, GPS systems, and all sorts of other gadgets built into the center console.

And again, its case by case. I've been in American cars with shit interior, but I've also been in some absolute gorgeous rides.

This, that chrysler actually looks nice but it will handle like a boat and the build quality on chryslers are so, so bad.

Here's the interior of my car, not actually my picture obviously. It's around the same price as the chevy truck with the tacky wood work that was posted earlier.

02.jpg

Not designed to handle like a sports car.

Because its not a sports car haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back