Social Amazon's LOTR Got Tokenized

current show writers are probably social justice dunces that are also doing self inserts, and completely miss the point of the original story, and just collapsed into doing the generic young adult story. in their mind, galadriel is some highschool chick rebelling against her dad who didn't buy her the nice car she wanted. that's why she appears so insufferable, chaotic and dumb.

Usually what you get when you have writers setting an agenda before the story. There's nothing odd about putting messages in movies, that happens all the time, but here it seems to be some overarching agenda among many in the business so it becomes separate from the stories they tell and everything falls through.

I felt she was actually one of the better characters on the show, again maybe a bit out of line with Tolkiens work being that way int he 2nd age but I think aiming for "First age Nordor" were in at least one version she took part in the kin slaying and the LOTR character does I think come across as someone atoning for past actions. If anything I think the show would probably have been better going further down that path making her character a bit darker rather than an arrogant but basically heroic one.

I think the main problems the show had were a lack of drama and taking the path were its neither really an atmospheric intro nore that much happens. I would have written it more from the viewpoint of men/hobbits from "normal" backgrounds discovering the wider world.

I don't remember any version where she takes part in the kinslaying (it's been a long time since I read a lot of that) but Tolkien wrote several versions of the story how she fights against the kinslaying and it certainly is what he settled on. First Age Galadriel is never a reckless warrior either as that is when she was mentored by Melian, who was a Maia of wisdom and enchantments. There's only one single sentence that could possibly be interpreted as Galadriel actually physically fighting (and it's against the kinslaying). Galadriel also met her husband in the First Age, which is a pretty important part.

I don't remember any version where she takes part in the kinslaying (it's been a long time since I read a lot of that) but Tolkien wrote several versions of the story how she fights against the kinslaying and it certainly is what he settled on. First Age Galadriel is never a reckless warrior either as that is when she was mentored by Melian, who was a Maia of wisdom and enchantments. There's only one single sentence that could possibly be interpreted as Galadriel actually physically fighting (and it's against the kinslaying). Galadriel also met her husband in the First Age, which is a pretty important part.
I'm not a Tolkien expert but didnt one of the earlier versions of the Sil he wrote have her taking part in it then by the time of the published version he'd shifted away from that or indeed mentioning her much at all?

Again I feel like dramatically there is some hint towards this in LOTR, she maybe doesnt no "nuclear" in the book but I think "I passed the test" when she refuses the Ring from Frodo does seem to hint that some kind of atonement has taken place, a legacy from the earlier version of the character perhaps?

Last edited:
It's a bit ironic that while they have tried to follow the "inclusive" route they have at the same time managed to make the female lead into something far lesser than she is in the novels. Galadriel has gone from being arguably the oldest living elf that was known to be the wisest and powerful in magic, to being put in the trope of the youngster that is rebelling against the old ways because the geezers aren't seeing the real issue, and she's relegated from being wise and powerful to just being a very good fighter, which Tolkien held in far lower esteem.

It's weird when they are forcing people to look different from the original works but with this show that's not even close to the top list of biggest problems.

The woke shit is actually a tactic to distract from how utterly inept and totally in over their heads the people making this shit are.

It's the same with Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy is just a talentless dunce. She hides from criticism by claiming if you don't like her shit, it's because you hate women or you're racist or whatever.

The woke shit isn't the real issue, it's the lack of talent of the people involved.

Well….

I can certainly tell how some of y’all treat Redguards in your fantasy games.

It should have been an original story and setting, I don't feel the connection to the LOTR universe.

I thought tokenization involves matching individual level information across multiple data sets, from credit reports to health records to crypto. What does that have this heading and topic subject?

Last edited:
The woke shit is actually a tactic to distract from how utterly inept and totally in over their heads the people making this shit are.

It's the same with Star Wars. Kathleen Kennedy is just a talentless dunce. She hides from criticism by claiming if you don't like her shit, it's because you hate women or you're racist or whatever.

The woke shit isn't the real issue, it's the lack of talent of the people involved.
it is sometimes I'd agree, the Starwars sequels were I think very cynical films as was Ghostbusters 2016, here though I think most likely someone from on high said you have to make the cast a bit more diverse(probably because they were afraid of negative PR) but really it didnt feel like it was being hard sold to me, you didnt really have cheap Girlboss and Mary Sue kind of stuff or as much promotion that way, what you did have was a big kick back from cultural war right wingers, many of whome didnt seem to care much about Tolkien beforehand.

I didnt think this was on the scale of those films in terms of lack of effort, really Abrams and Feig brought pretty much nothing to the table beyond preying on nostalgia, terrible comedy and some rather cheap tokenism. Here I think there was some effort to do more than that and I think some aspects were pretty sucerssful, it did feel like it belonged in the same world as Jacksons films to me were as Abrams SW felt like a cartoonish version of the setting with no sense of scale.

Again I feel like this ended up showing that Tolkien was actually a better writer than he's given credit for, not just someone who invented a mythology but who could tell a fantasy story in quite an individual fashion. This series to me felt more "Potterish" in that it depended a lot more on details and reveals around the mythology to drive its drama plus without the very exact sense of location of LOTR. Tolkiens story really is pretty simple with only a handful of mythology aspects really effecting the plot and only a few big twists, mostly its slow and atmospheric selling a certain tone.

I'm not a Tolkien expert but didnt one of the earlier versions of the Sil he wrote have her taking part in it then by the time of the published version he'd shifted away from that or indeed mentioning her much at all?

No she fought against it because her mother was kin to the Teleri elves who were massacred.

I don't care if it's not a historical show. Snow White might be the exception and I didn't care much. It just felt like a dumb casting decision.

Well….

I can certainly tell how some of y’all treat Redguards in your fantasy games.
Sorry. I don't get it. I know red shirts, but not red guards.

I don't care if it's not a historical show. Snow White might be the exception and I didn't care much. It just felt like a dumb casting decision.

Sorry. I don't get it. I know red shirts, but not red guards.
The name may no longer socially acceptable.

I can’t keep up with what ain’t a slur anymore

it is sometimes I'd agree, the Starwars sequels were I think very cynical films as was Ghostbusters 2016, here though I think most likely someone from on high said you have to make the cast a bit more diverse(probably because they were afraid of negative PR) but really it didnt feel like it was being hard sold to me, you didnt really have cheap Girlboss and Mary Sue kind of stuff or as much promotion that way, what you did have was a big kick back from cultural war right wingers, many of whome didnt seem to care much about Tolkien beforehand.

I didnt think this was on the scale of those films in terms of lack of effort, really Abrams and Feig brought pretty much nothing to the table beyond preying on nostalgia, terrible comedy and some rather cheap tokenism. Here I think there was some effort to do more than that and I think some aspects were pretty sucerssful, it did feel like it belonged in the same world as Jacksons films to me were as Abrams SW felt like a cartoonish version of the setting with no sense of scale.

Again I feel like this ended up showing that Tolkien was actually a better writer than he's given credit for, not just someone who invented a mythology but who could tell a fantasy story in quite an individual fashion. This series to me felt more "Potterish" in that it depended a lot more on details and reveals around the mythology to drive its drama plus without the very exact sense of location of LOTR. Tolkiens story really is pretty simple with only a handful of mythology aspects really effecting the plot and only a few big twists, mostly its slow and atmospheric selling a certain tone.

Don't agree at all. I am on a couple of LoTR groups on FB and the hardcore fans hated Rings of Power.

real LOTR and Star Wars fans absolutely despise the new movies/shows. Some rings of power is total garbage. Does not capture the magic, essence, or respect LOTR is. total crap. the new star wars sequel trilogy was garbage. anyone who says they like rings of power or the new star wars movies, i immediately think different of them. i know they are just not even real people.

Again I feel like dramatically there is some hint towards this in LOTR, she maybe doesnt no "nuclear" in the book but I think "I passed the test" when she refuses the Ring from Frodo does seem to hint that some kind of atonement has taken place, a legacy from the earlier version of the character perhaps?

I don't remember it so I won't say either way, but the enduring case was her standing against Feanor and the Noldor. As for the "nuclear" part it does happen in the sense that Frodo has a vision of her, tall beyond measurement, etc, but it's not about anything beyond the temptation of the power of the ring. Her passing the test means that she was able to let the ring go when it was offered to her.

My issues with the RoP Galadriel doesn't really have all that much to do with specific events of the First Age though, it's more directly with how Galadriel is just portrayed as an entirely different character than how Tolkien wrote her. In RoP she has none of the wisdom and enchanting ways, and she is a real warrior while it's possible to interpret Tolkien's words as that she never fought like that, and at most there is one reference to when it possibly happened. She should have been a wise, highly respected "political" player among the elves in the show.

real LOTR and Star Wars fans absolutely despise the new movies/shows. Some rings of power is total garbage. Does not capture the magic, essence, or respect LOTR is. total crap. the new star wars sequel trilogy was garbage. anyone who says they like rings of power or the new star wars movies, i immediately think different of them. i know they are just not even real people.

I don't entirely agree. Andor is the best thing in Star Wars since the original trilogy. Now about RoP and the SW sequel trilogy I have basically noting positive to say.

I don't entirely agree. Andor is the best thing in Star Wars since the original trilogy. Now about RoP and the SW sequel trilogy I have basically noting positive to say.
I heard Andor was good, and I was going to mention that. I'll give you that.

Star Wars ST was so bad though, I didn't even watch the last one. Amazing how they totally fumbled such a unique, awesome story. The prequel trilogy seems like a masterpiece now. Modern entertainment is just horrible.

Diversity behind the camera is worse than in front of it. You can't just hire screenwriters and directors based on their skin color, gayness or politics and expect a good product.

Heaven forbid it have anything to do with the author's books.
If i am doing a TV show based off the books i should stay to the source of the original. Otherwise if anyone starts making shows that arent close to something as related to the source of the author's books.

It wouldn't have the feel of the original source material.

I heard Andor was good, and I was going to mention that. I'll give you that.

Star Wars ST was so bad though, I didn't even watch the last one. Amazing how they totally fumbled such a unique, awesome story. The prequel trilogy seems like a masterpiece now. Modern entertainment is just horrible.
The only Disney so far that i had watched at the theaters was Star Wars Rouge and Star Wars (Rey)
Problem with the Disney Star Wars? it doesn't have that vibe as star wars clone wars did/others.

Even on the Alien dep, the Disney star war movies felt a bit lacking. At least with the Original classic SW and Clone Wars you always had something interesting appearing in those movies.

The current Star Wars movies just feel boring and generic with some "modern day politics" thrown in..

Back