Am I an a$$ ?

belts are fucking stupid anyway. they are slowly contributing to the mcdojoism of bjj

Are you retarded? the belt system has existed since BJJ was first created, and same for Judo, and other arts.

but it is wrong that this guy has to pay for the belt promotion. I only have to pay for the belt itself when I am promoted, which is around $10, and THAT IS fair ebcause my instructor is buying the belts for us. If we give our old belt back then we don't won him anything in that case. No charge for stripes. The tape only costs like, less than $5.

stay a white belt forever until your coach/instructor realizes that it looks bad on him to have a sandbagger.

if you were a purple belt level white belt..im sure he'd give you a new belt

belts are fucking stupid anyway. they are slowly contributing to the mcdojoism of bjj

All of these things are well said. Belts really take more importance than they should. Theres always some people out there who put more importance on rank or gear than skill.

Also, how much does he charge for the belt?

Wow, your school sounds really expensive to me. I am 35 and have children too, so I feel you there. I pay $40 per month at an affiliate school, but I do pay the head black belt $15 to $30 to test for my stripes/belts (we have a clear curriculum that must be mastered before promotions, in addition to a rolling test before the next belt showing you can actually pull off the curriculum while live rolling). I know that the money basically goes into the black belt's pocket, but given the low monthly cost for training, I don't begrudge him the extra cash. Particularly where there is a set curriculum, I do not feel pressured. Either I know the techniques and am ready to test, or I don't. Either way, no worries. I can also plan ahead and save up.

Your situation is obviously different. To answer your original question, you are not an ass. The problem with cost, though, is that your instructor will continue to charge that amount so long as people are willing to pay it. If it were me, I would try to find a different school. If that is not an option, then your choices become limited. You might try talking to your instructor (if you have a good relationship with him) and discuss that cost is an issue for you; maybe he would give you a reduced rate. If he is not approachable like that, then as I see it, you either pay up or quit. While you can languish for a while as a white belt, I agree with the above posts which suggest that is a bad idea. You are only inviting a poor outcome. Besides, I would rather deal with the problem up front in a head-on, decisive fashion than in a passive-aggressive way.

Are you retarded? the belt system has existed since BJJ was first created, and same for Judo, and other arts.

but it is wrong that this guy has to pay for the belt promotion. I only have to pay for the belt itself when I am promoted, which is around $10, and THAT IS fair ebcause my instructor is buying the belts for us. If we give our old belt back then we don't won him anything in that case. No charge for stripes. The tape only costs like, less than $5.
The problem isn't the belt, it is what people see in a martial art.

They first ask "how long till I get my black belt"

They don't want to learn a martial art, they want to tell people they're a black belt.

So yes, I am retarded.

What's the worst that could happen if you stayed a white belt? Your coach asks you why you don't want to get promoted? I would simply say that I can barely afford class and that I don't train for a belt. Make a joke about how you already have a nice black belt that matches your dress shoes :)

Last edited:
stay a white belt forever until your coach/instructor realizes that it looks bad on him to have a sandbagger.

Agreed on all points.

"Judging by some of the more popular internet forums, belts are an obsession with North Americans, and from my experience in Japan, jiu-jitsu belts (but not belts in karate or judo, where dan ratings rather than belt colors are more meaningful) are highly prized. But Brazilians, at least in Rio, do not care much about belts. There are two reasons. One is that belts are relatively easy to obtain. If you train alot and with the required intensity, in due course you will receive new belts. Jiu-jitsu is not quantum physics (although it might seem that way to most white belts, myself included 12 years ago). Everyone knows that if you train long enough, listen to what the professor says, and do what he tells you to do, you will acquire the skills and then the belts to go with the skills. The requirements for belt promotions in Bol

If you don't like belt test fees, then train at another school. Were you not told of this practice before you started training?

If you're not comfortable paying for your promotions, then you'll just have to leave that school. There are usually other schools around that don't work that way.

The suggestion that you can just stay and become an awesome white belt doesn't work in reality. Your instructor will know what you are doing and eventually ask you to leave if it becomes clear that you do not respect him.

You have absolutely no chance of shaming an instructor like this into you promoting you by refusing to pay and then just getting really good. That is fantasy. You either have to accept that you will pay or accept that you will leave. But just sticking around indefinitely is not a good option.

This is the truth of the matter. I don't think anyone likes paying for belt or stripe promotions and most schools don't require fees for stripes or belts. Unfortunately you happen to attend one that does.

Having to pay money for stripes is really not a common practice, although it is becoming more common. You can not go, but eventually you will have to pay or be shunned for disrespecting the instructor. You have to decide now if you are ok with paying for stripes and if you aren't, you should find another school.

I love my school, but if I was asked to start paying for tests to get stripes, I would probably be looking for a new gym.

If you're not comfortable paying for your promotions, then you'll just have to leave that school. There are usually other schools around that don't work that way.

The suggestion that you can just stay and become an awesome white belt doesn't work in reality. Your instructor will know what you are doing and eventually ask you to leave if it becomes clear that you do not respect him.

You have absolutely no chance of shaming an instructor like this into you promoting you by refusing to pay and then just getting really good. That is fantasy. You either have to accept that you will pay or accept that you will leave. But just sticking around indefinitely is not a good option.

Way to bum everyone out with that bothersome little thing called "reality," Balto, geez... :rolleyes:

:D

It's funny to me that the difference between a good white belt, and a bad blue belt, could be $50. IMO you should not have to pay for belt testing. This is a slippery slope. First belt testing fees then "black belt" classes for "the experienced and dedicated martial artist who is looking to accelerate their progress to the black belt."

i've trained at 5 different academies, and i've never witnessed an actual belt test...how common is this?

the way i see it is, i'm "testing" everyday i strap my gi on and train. and if i'm doing tournaments, that's even more of a test.

i've also never been to an academy that charges for stripes and belts. i don't get it, and i think the arguement that it's done b/c "it's a business" is lame. if your business model forces you to charge for stripes and belts, then your business model is flawed.

just my opinion.

I wouldn't want to pay for promotion, nor would I want to train somewhere that charges.

Unless, as mentioned, you're paying to bring someone highly qualified in to test you. Different story there.

go to a school which doesn't make you pay for grading's.. like Nova Uniao

I can live with a belt test fee, it's not that bad, it only happens 4 times in your entire BJJ career. If you think about it its just a drop in the bucket. However, to pay for stripes? That's just fucking stupid.

I can't even understand how this works. do you tell your instructor that you want to try for a strip or does he give you a strip and then tell you go see the cashier to check out?

Paying for achievements is terrible, it would be like winning a MVP trophy in little league and then your coach telling your parents that will cost them extra.

Thank you...

This sounds shady as hell. I support the "don't test then" camp. If that becomes a problem in your relationship to your coach or limits the classes you can take, then it sounds like it's time for a change of gym.

Back