1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Am I an a$$ ?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by interj, Oct 5, 2010.

1. interj

interj White Belt

For not wanting to pay for a belt promotion?

I'm 9 months in and don't have any stripes. Our annual belt promotion is coming up and you have to pay.

I already pay $150 a month, so I'm upwards of $1800 or more a year to train.

I enjoy it, and it keeps me coming back but I'm a 40 yeard father who:

1. Won't gain anything from a stripe or new belt
    2. Have children who I'd rather spend the the money on

I stay and clean mats, bought shirts from the school and have donated to fund raises, but I'm really having a probllem with this.

So if I don't go, is it a dick move? Do they just keep me with no stripes until I pay and go?

2. tripnastic

tripnastic Dudeist Priest

you have to pay for every stripe, or just a move up in color (white to blue etc..)?

3. 177ark

177ark White Belt

So is it the "principle of it" that's stopping you, or is it really that expensive?
    What belt are you due for?

4. Brian2

Brian2 Blue Belt

I personally don't understand why they charge you to belt up. IMO I would just stay a no stripe white belt. I would think your $1800 a year should cover a belt test, I pay considerably less for me and my 2 kids to go unlimited and we don't pay for belt tests.

5. interj

interj White Belt

No belt. I don't know what I would get but I would think its one stripe.

Everyone pays, stripes or belts.

I'm not sure if its just principle or just cost. I guess both. As mentioned, I offer services to support the school, but the belt promotion is expensive, I guess because its a celebration, so can I choose not to celebrate if I'd rather not spend the money?

On the principla side, I guess if I don't get a stripe because I choose not to pay, then I have a problem because it should be earned not bought.

6. newerest

newerest Purple Belt

stay a white belt forever until your coach/instructor realizes that it looks bad on him to have a sandbagger.

if you were a purple belt level white belt..im sure he'd give you a new belt

belts are fucking stupid anyway. they are slowly contributing to the mcdojoism of bjj

7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

This is exactly why I would do, haha

8. dunerider

dunerider Green Belt

no def not a dick move just stay till he has no choice but to give you a new belt haha

9. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

well said.

10. tripnastic

tripnastic Dudeist Priest

I don't mind a small belt fee. We don't have one, but I understand that it is a business. Besides, if you're going to a good school you won't be belting up all that often anyway.

That said, paying for every single stripe seems excessive.

11. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

Belts/stripes should be earned... not bought.

As long as you are confident in yourself and the progress you are making the color of the belt around your waist shouldn't matter to you. Paying for promotions just reeks of McDojo-ism :(

12. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

I would never pay for stripes or belts.

I know some legit BJJ schools out there have belt testing and fees.

But it will always feel wrong to me, and mostly just seems like a cash-grab.

I would just keep going and never pay for a belt, keep going until you a badass grappler and forget the belt unless they give you one.

13. cenix

cenix Orange Belt

i never understood schools that require payments to be made for promotions, stripes or new belt color.

14. chubs

chubs Yellow Belt

I don't believe in helping clean the gym if I'm paying $150 a month.

If I'm payin $30 (which I have for other MA in the past) then yes, I'll do my share.

If you're getting top dollar from me ($150/mo) then hire a cleaning service because you can afford it.

If you help out AND pay top dollar I can understand your resentment at getting asked to pay for a stripe.

15. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

If you're not comfortable paying for your promotions, then you'll just have to leave that school. There are usually other schools around that don't work that way.

The suggestion that you can just stay and become an awesome white belt doesn't work in reality. Your instructor will know what you are doing and eventually ask you to leave if it becomes clear that you do not respect him.

You have absolutely no chance of shaming an instructor like this into you promoting you by refusing to pay and then just getting really good. That is fantasy. You either have to accept that you will pay or accept that you will leave. But just sticking around indefinitely is not a good option.

16. nefti

nefti Red Belt

define "paying"

are you "paying" your own coach to take a test? If so that's bullcrap imho

Are you "paying" to help bring in a blackbelt (senior black belt) to help pay for his travel/housing/ect with a seminar? If that's the case then i have no problem with it.

funny how alot of people bash barra yet they don't make you pay for promotions even at their US headquarters in irvine.

17. PistolPeteMMA

PistolPeteMMA Yellow Belt

At our school we don't do belt "tests". Basically, when you're ready and have proven yourself with knowledge, blood, sweat, and tears then you will earn your belt. One day after class the belt is given to you because you've earned it. It makes you not focus on when the belt test is going to be and just focus on your training. You know when you reach a certain level you may earn it but it's based on your merit not what you pay.

That being said when I was teaching TKD and Kenpo we always ran belt tests and they were DEFINATELY a way to bring in revenue to the school. One of my schools I taught at would run tests when he was in need of money. Needless to say when I found this out I no longer taught there.

I can see your point but at the end of the day they do have to make money. Think about it as if you go to a fancy restaurant and they offer you an expensive drink. They did it so they can make a higher profit.

18. Graunie

Graunie Blue Belt

Agreed. I was going to write this if I didn't see it. You might get away with it for awhile but it will eventually hit the fan.

Unless I am just paying for the belt itself, like literally the $15 for the belt itself, then I am going to pass. I understand it is a business but what a way to taint what should be such an awesome thing. You only get to be promoted 4 times in a 8-15 year journey...is it really worth milking a few extra bucks?

19. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Yeah trying to publicly shame your instructor for being a sellout in the martial arts world ends badly -- like the "What you did to me was worse than raping my own mother" Brazilian blood feud type of badly. If enjoy not being stabbed, you may wish to avoid such situations.

It's surprising how that works.

20. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

Somebody in this situation is definitely an ass, and it's certainly not you.

I hope you find a better gym.