Almost took my stripes off today

We also have a white belt at my academy that has beaten purples (very legit competitors) in no gi tournaments. He's an amateur MMA fighter turning pro. He's been grappling for a long time, but isn't formally ranked in BJJ.

He just got back from his mandatory military service, and now he's doing gi. Dude has an incredible base, has great passing, and even has a solid open guard in the gi! Guy's a natural and has cardio for days. He has only been training gi for a very, very short time, too. For sure, he can give some solid blues and some purples a hard time gi and no gi.

Another guy we have is a SWAT police officer and ex special forces guy. Real young and just a freak athlete. Guy is a natural, too. Only been training eight months and loves spider guard. Has a nasty triangle, too. I've seen him submit a couple blues and even a purple. If you make a mistake he will capitalize on it.

It's bad to compare yourself to other people. You're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

My point was that a guy straight off the street should not be beating a purple belt.

My point was that a guy straight off the street should not be beating a purple belt.

"Beating" is so subjective. I train in a place where I just happen to have random beast-men walk in randomly and I see them DUMMY purple belts. I'm talking crossfit prodigies who wrestled a decade before. While finding tough men in excellent shape who wrestled in high school might be unusual where you're from, I see it almost daily.

People gotta be careful when speaking in absolutes

Thread improvement!

970917_10151658165494260_17088373_n.jpg

^ Love it.

As to the topic at hand. Dude, you tapped to belly on face. nobody can teach you heart or toughness.

From what you wrote, I am guessing you very rarely faced with guys much larger then you. Learning how to deal with them is actually a skill since you need to adjust your game. Were I you, I would make it a point to roll more often with bigger then you guys and figure out what went wrong. It sounds like you had a nice wake-up call.

And, all I can say is welcome to my world. As a female in BJJ, lots and lots of guys are bigger and strong then me, so I often have to work at a size differential and certainly have had more then my fair share of fat bellies in my face. Dealing with this does get easier as you get used to it and better able to tolerate the discomfort and you learn what will work better with larger partners.

There are ways to tap people with pressure, a reverse kesa gatame with a trapped arm is one, you put a lot of pressure on the ribs and makes breathing harder and harder.

However that special kind of hell is reserved to people who call you on your weight on why they lost despite the fact you actually restrained yourself from using any pressure at all,

Thanks everyone. I plan to try and roll with the largest dudes in my gym for the next serveral weeks. I will get over this. Appreciate all of the resposnes, even the insults

^ Love it.

As to the topic at hand. Dude, you tapped to belly on face. nobody can teach you heart or toughness.

Eh, I'm tough enough. And if I didn't have heart, I wouldn't have stuck with it for so many months. Quitting isn't an option, but I have to bitch every once in a while.

From what you wrote, I am guessing you very rarely faced with guys much larger then you. Learning how to deal with them is actually a skill since you need to adjust your game. Were I you, I would make it a point to roll more often with bigger then you guys and figure out what went wrong. It sounds like you had a nice wake-up call.

And, all I can say is welcome to my world. As a female in BJJ, lots and lots of guys are bigger and strong then me, so I often have to work at a size differential and certainly have had more then my fair share of fat bellies in my face. Dealing with this does get easier as you get used to it and better able to tolerate the discomfort and you learn what will work better with larger partners.

Thanks. I've rolled with other giants, but they were all muscle and my side control escapes were actually much more effective against them. It was a lesson learned for sure....

Depends upon the guy straight off the street and the purple belt.

We've an NHL enforcer who trains with us sometimes in the off season (about 6'4" 240 pounds in shape - meaning 240 pounds looking very lean). I'd put him up against a lot of say 130 pound purple belts on strict physically alone - he has an amazing base, as the BJJ instructor who helps teach says, and very good control of his limbs. Don't underestimate what a big, high level athlete can do.

Skill is an amplifier, but if your attributes are low (either small, or injured, or elderly), effectively doubling or trippling them might still leave you with less than some untrained (untrained in grappling) guys.

Interestingly enough, he's a very good boxer - he's done that for years as training for his enforcer role. His throws and takedowns aren't good (though he's hard to throw or takedown himself for smaller guys), but he jokes he'd throw us around easily if we were on skates and wearing sweaters :D

It happens. You're still a white belt. Learn to control the distance a bit - hugely important against anyone, but especially big guys.

Our instructor taps blues and purples routinely with his side control - no belly involved just insane pressure. I'm fairly sure if you didn't tap you'd pass out.

I got tapped the other day by a guy with a few weeks experience in BJJ. Turned out he was a judo black belt and so had a very fast back take and choke. Next time I rolled with him I wasn't so careless and was all over him.

My instructor's friend passed out from Roy Harris' side mount pressure. The guy can break your ribs with it too if you're not careful. I'd tap.

Martial Arts are a part of a whole array of strategy and tactics. The idea that overcoming someone in a one on one fight with your backs against the wall is the only fair way to win is wrong. It is a myth invented to sell heavy weight tickets.

Giving up any advantage you had of technique, speed or strategy, you squared off with a larger person directly in front of you. If it were a real fight, that would be stupid.

Even if he didn't know grappling, you don't know what kind of an aggressive mind he has or what sort of experiences brought him there. Not everyone is equal. Not all guys off the street are equal.

If it had been a real fight, you would have done ANYTHING not to end up on your knees in front of the big man. You could have punched him in the neck or arm dragged and jumped on his back or run away. Instead of any of that, you conceded the absolute maximum advantage to him that is possible.

The idea that martial arts or belts can make you invulnerable to any man outside of your group is the blatant egoistical lie that makes martial arts a joke.

Just because BJJ comes out on top more than Shotokan, doesn't mean that its practitioners aren't still full of shit when they think they can walk around unafraid of strong, dangerous men. There is no such thing as that level of skill.

You just learned something important about how the world works.

One of the truest posts I have ever read in F12.

Herein lies the problem with the belt system as it currently stands. People get promoted for various reasons that have nothing to do with how well they can handle themselves against other people who are actually trying to beat them.

It might hurt but I will tell you this: No 4 stripe white belt at my gym would tap to a belly on their face. That includes the women.

This thread should've ended here, but all you f12 fuckers kept writing.

BJJ Logic:
Lose to a bigger a guy-- "its okay, the guy was way bigger than you"
Win against a bigger guy-- "you see?! in BJJ size doesnt matter!"

lol make up your minds

Eh, I'm tough enough. And if I didn't have heart, I wouldn't have stuck with it for so many months. Quitting isn't an option, but I have to bitch every once in a while.

How do you say quitting isn't an option when you quit from belly on face? I'm not advocating quitting BJJ, but I get embarrassed for people when they tap to an uncomfortable position.

TS...I think that some of the posters in this thread are being dicks unnecessarily. The fact of the matter is that you are still a beginner and you got smothered by a guy that substantially outweighed you. From my experience a lot of people with some grappling experience go to gyms and claim to be complete novices. That's possible here but who knows.

With respect to tapping to position...yes, it is generally looked down upon and if you instructor was annoyed with you then that was probably why. I understand because I have been close to tapping to knee-on-belly twice but thankfully did not. But its still no big deal. Like anything else it is a learning experience.

One thing I might suggest is adding some strength and conditioning to your routine. Your primary focus should be on skill training but doing some intense off mat work can really add to your confidence (it is mentally valuable as it is physical). If you have confidence in your conditioning then you will move more which should force your opponent to move and may help to tire a guy like that out.

you tapped to belly on face, you loser, quit now. you have disgraced your stripes and your family.

ya. Some people on this thread are using this to show how this could never happen to them and they are above all this. Everytime a post such as this is made there are always sharks that smell blood and go on a demoralizing smear campaign that is meant to show their own prowess on the internet. Pathetic!

Reality is that as a striped white, you can expect to win against someone with no martial art experience as long as they do not have strength or size advantage on you. If you had tapped to someone with no experience and no size or strength advantage then I would question your training. If you are up against someone with 60 lbs weight / size advantage, then it is way too much to handle with less than two years of training. I weigh 200 lbs and I remember smashing a few white belts who were 140 lbs. They did not tap to me but I was able to get them in side control and would stay that way till the end of the round.

Back