Almost took my stripes off today

Tapping to a belly in the face is so three stripish.

Well I ones was tapped out by "fat dudes sweaty nipple hair in mouth" submission ..
I could just not go on :(

I had nightmares for a week.

dude I know that feeling, im a blue 4 stripes, been grappling around 4 years... when I first got my blue, I was fuck, I dont feel like a blue, that was part of my insecurity to deal with biggers stronger people, im about 165 pounds, 5'7, so I have to deal all the time with people bigger than me, eventually you will start doing better against them, one of the reason why I love no gi much better is because size and strength dont matter as much as in the gi (at least for me, some say the oppositve) I can escape much better and use my speed to get to the back o move around... hate when elephants grab my gi, its a fucking pain in the ass to break their grips...

I think I was finally feeling confidence against most size noobs around 2.5 years or so...
This is basically me right now. New blue, 5'7 150 lbs.

Herein lies the problem with the belt system as it currently stands. People get promoted for various reasons that have nothing to do with how well they can handle themselves against other people who are actually trying to beat them.

It might hurt but I will tell you this: No 4 stripe white belt at my gym would tap to a belly on their face. That includes the women.

I would beg to differ

No it doesnt. Because you panicked against an ex athlete who was big does not mean a belly smother is a legitimate technique.

100% agreement, i got smothered by a guy almost 300 lbs,it sucks but mentally you have to keep it together. your not going to die,and your limb wont break,so there is no reason to lose to that.

You must be on some fuckin' David Blaine level shit if you're able to survive a minute plus under a real belly smother from a dude that big, strong or skilled.

This isn't about panicking or anything related to mental weakness. I could not get out of the position I was in with the amount of air/oxygen I had in my lungs. I ran out of air before I could manufacture an escape.

How does one get fresh oxygen into one's body when there is no breathing space possible due to said belly smother? The belly was draped fully around my face. Turning sideways didn't get me anything. I couldn't look towards my keylocked arm because his rib cage and pressure prevented me, so I tried to look towards his legs. Belly. Belly for days. So much belly, I thought I was seeing DMX and Nas. All belly.

If guy no can breathe, guy taps. Or goes to sleep. Some belly smothers are legit. Just like some guard cinches can let Geeza make Ray Elbe puke on Geeza's head and thus lose the match. Some crazy shit works, even if you're a tough guy.

Lol.

No, Dirty is a former Olympic team wrestler, so he feels no pain, has no sympathy for weakness, and he's never on his back unless he wants to be.

Again, guys--turtle position. It won't win you the match by itself, but it is a hell of a lot better than being in bottom side control against a much larger opponent. Watch videos of normal-sized female black belts fighting Gabi Garcia. They all turtle up.

Herein lies the problem with the belt system as it currently stands. People get promoted for various reasons that have nothing to do with how well they can handle themselves against other people who are actually trying to beat them.

It might hurt but I will tell you this: No 4 stripe white belt at my gym would tap to a belly on their face. That includes the women.

I haven't read the rest of the replies but I can't imagine agreeing with any more than I do this one. Size and strength will always factor in but if you're tapping to a smother you've done multiple things wrong along the way and you're probably overranked.

Thread starter, why so much pressure on yourself? The guy was way bigger than you, and you're still a beginner.

Just keep training. Have fun. Enjoy jiu jitsu.

As long as you keep training, you're getting better. Sometimes it's a little, sometimes it's a lot. But it's impossible to keep training and get worse.

I have seen IDIOTS get good because they just kept coming for years.

I mean it! Total idiots who I wouldn't trust to start my car.

Yeah, I agree, especially with the bolded part. It's like talking about committing hara-kiri because you aren't living up the standards of the stripes on your white belt!

White belt is beginner. Blue belt is still beginner.

The best thing for you would be for this guy to sign up and keep coming to class. You get used to having to deal with his physicality, and on the outside in the real world having to deal with a guy of his size and strength won't be so alien anymore. You get used to what you do repeatedly.

We had a guy in our gym from japan a 130lb purple belt that would dominate large guys from the bottom it was awesome to watch.

We had a guy in our gym from japan a 130lb purple belt that would dominate large guys from the bottom it was awesome to watch.

Oh yeah? Do you remember his name, or when it was?

I don't think you tapped because you couldn't breath I think you tapped because you we're gassed an stuck under a giant gut and got freaked out and you know what I've seen it before with some more time on the mats you will learn to control your anxiety and you won't tap to stuff like that, also if the guy is really big and heavy just survive for as long as you can he will gas quickly and that's when you can start trying to get a better position and start attacking back

Also LOL @ the mental image of taking sripes off your belt...you cannot really demote yourself when you are a white belt.

No it doesnt. Because you panicked against an ex athlete who was big does not mean a belly smother is a legitimate technique.

if you're tapping to a smother you've done multiple things wrong along the way and you're probably overranked.

People say "belly smother" to complain, but a lot of the time what they mean is that the pressure of the side control (especially Kesa) takes away the ability to breath - a form of choke really. Modified kesa constriction is a VERY legitimate submission (more common amongst elite Judoka from what I've heard who can get more than a few subs in competition with it) that can be crushing and very powerful when applied correctly, although it's a little unusual that someone with no experience could pull it off against someone who's been training awhile, even if they're on the bigger side - unless they're absolutely enormous. Maybe the guy's a natural. We used to have a blackbelt that could do it with devastating effect - every time you exhaled that space was taken up and you couldn't breath the next time correct and it would get deeper - he was a master at balancing his weight at the correct spot to do it. Using pressure to get taps from top position (or cause thrashing around to expose errors) is a common strategy in upper level blackbelts - heck Marcelo taps browns and blacks from hip pressure from top mount while rolling.

But that isn't the TS's situation, this was an inexperienced guy. TS, sounds like you need to work some more on basic side control fundamentals and escapes. Not a big deal - it just exposed an area you probably needs some more work on - you're not going to have a well rounded game as a 4 stripe whitebelt! (or even bluebelt) Might be good to talk to your instructor about cleaning up your basics of bottom side control and even pulling bottom side control against the newer and lighter guys and women in your class to work your escapes - having your frames correct, looking for and alternating between hip escapes for guard recovery vs underhook escape to your knees. In my opinion (at least for me), against bigger guys with heavy pressure it can sometimes be easier to go for the hip escape and then when they block it with more pressure you transition to underhook escape and get to your knees, then either takedown or re-guard.

Last edited:
Reminds me of belts being in the trash cans at major IBJJF tournaments.

Egos and their people. - E

That's really bad. Should not be happening to that extent.

Meh. We have a white belt that I'm pretty sure could dominate and tap purples from some schools on the regular. He's incredibly strong, athletic, and a Judo black belt who learns fast - you combine that with 1.5 years of BJJ training and you have an absolute animal. Just goes to show though, every case is unique.

I am sure it's been said already. Stripes only function to make a belt look pretty. Nothing else. If you want to make your belt less pretty go for it. But it doesn't sound like you are ready for your blue. After 1.5 years of training you may want to revalute how your train.

Meh. We have a white belt that I'm pretty sure could dominate and tap purples from some schools on the regular. He's incredibly strong, athletic, and a Judo black belt who learns fast - you combine that with 1.5 years of BJJ training and you have an absolute animal. Just goes to show though, every case is unique.
We also have a white belt at my academy that has beaten purples (very legit competitors) in no gi tournaments. He's an amateur MMA fighter turning pro. He's been grappling for a long time, but isn't formally ranked in BJJ.

He just got back from his mandatory military service, and now he's doing gi. Dude has an incredible base, has great passing, and even has a solid open guard in the gi! Guy's a natural and has cardio for days. He has only been training gi for a very, very short time, too. For sure, he can give some solid blues and some purples a hard time gi and no gi.

Another guy we have is a SWAT police officer and ex special forces guy. Real young and just a freak athlete. Guy is a natural, too. Only been training eight months and loves spider guard. Has a nasty triangle, too. I've seen him submit a couple blues and even a purple. If you make a mistake he will capitalize on it.

It's bad to compare yourself to other people. You're just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Our instructor taps blues and purples routinely with his side control - no belly involved just insane pressure. I'm fairly sure if you didn't tap you'd pass out.

I got tapped the other day by a guy with a few weeks experience in BJJ. Turned out he was a judo black belt and so had a very fast back take and choke. Next time I rolled with him I wasn't so careless and was all over him.

Back