All you dummies not watching Mr Inbetween

really good show, but my biggest criticism is that the show doesn’t really challenge the audience’s perception of Ray or his morality. because let’s be clear—Ray is not a good guy. but the show gives us no reason to root against him, or to even consider him a bad guy, because he is killing significantly worse people. it basically justifies most of his kills because we want him to kill those people & those people are a danger to society for as long as they’re breathing.

compare this to Barry. even if we like Barry, we struggle to root for Barry because he’s killed some people who 100% did not deserve to die. often those people are killed because they are a threat to Barry & Barry alone—they are not a threat to society at large. Barry operates in a much darker shade of grey, which i think makes sense for a series about a hit man/assassin.
yea Ray is a bit of a superhero, but thats okay with me.
That isnt really the point of the show to be super dark, really it is rays(the creator writer and main actor) ideas of machismo, morality and society being applied through an unstoppable avatar.
but by the same token he does have soem pay back for his violence and his stubborness.
He loses Ally , He loses his brother, He loses all his friends except for nick, he loses his relationship with his daughter
the last one above seemed to really be the most important to him

really good show, but my biggest criticism is that the show doesn’t really challenge the audience’s perception of Ray or his morality. because let’s be clear—Ray is not a good guy. but the show gives us no reason to root against him, or to even consider him a bad guy, because he is killing significantly worse people. it basically justifies most of his kills because we want him to kill those people & those people are a danger to society for as long as they’re breathing.

I disagree, he's killed enough people who didn't deserve it. He straight up murks an innocent guy in the first episode. He chooses to kill an old friend for no reason other than to get paid. He even commits the cinematic sin of killing a dog. Some episodes make you wonder if someone innocent is gonna get got. Even the episode with the pedo for instance kept the suspense up whether the guy was getting tortured for no reason until he finally talked. The show doesn't make him a monster, but it does make clear he's a bad guy. Just one with a code.

I’ve seen this show featured in a bunch of clips. The one thing that prevents me from watching is the dude just looks un-athletic as fuck in every fight clip they show. Maybe it’s just me but it just absolutely takes me out of it, he’s supposed to be intimidating and take no shit but just looks awkward as fuck throwing a punch or kick.

I’ve seen this show featured in a bunch of clips. The one thing that prevents me from watching is the dude just looks un-athletic as fuck in every fight clip they show. Maybe it’s just me but it just absolutely takes me out of it, he’s supposed to be intimidating and take no shit but just looks awkward as fuck throwing a punch or kick.
Yeah he moves like Tim Sylvia, but in all fairness, Sylvia won the title more than once with that awkward movement.

And for the most part Ray is beating up guys that don't even train.

He looks emaciated 😆

Yeah he moves like Tim Sylvia, but in all fairness, Sylvia won the title more than once with that awkward movement.

And for the most part Ray is beating up guys that don't even train.
But dude was a giant haha

I disagree, he's killed enough people who didn't deserve it. He straight up murks an innocent guy in the first episode. He chooses to kill an old friend for no reason other than to get paid. He even commits the cinematic sin of killing a dog. Some episodes make you wonder if someone innocent is gonna get got. Even the episode with the pedo for instance kept the suspense up whether the guy was getting tortured for no reason until he finally talked. The show doesn't make him a monster, but it does make clear he's a bad guy. Just one with a code.
the guy in the first episode is barely an afterthought beyond the first episode; Vinnie practically gives his blessing to Ray (plus, you don’t become prez of a motorcycle gang by being an angel); Ray killed the dog in self defense

i’m not saying that it’s not made clear that Ray isn’t a “good guy,” just that the show operates in very light shades of grey because Ray is bound by a moral code that is inherently agreeable, even if the methods in which he enacts that code are disagreeable. in the grand scheme of things, this criticism is a minor one, & is perhaps more a thought exercise than folly, because it hasn’t made the show any less enjoyable for me. it also makes me appreciate the absolute balls of Barry even more, but i should make it clear that it hasn’t diminished my Mr. Inbetween experience. if anything, i’m more annoyed about getting only three hours of sleep before work on monday courtesy of Mr. Inbetween

yea Ray is a bit of a superhero, but thats okay with me.
That isnt really the point of the show to be super dark, really it is rays(the creator writer and main actor) ideas of machismo, morality and society being applied through an unstoppable avatar.
but by the same token he does have soem pay back for his violence and his stubborness.
He loses Ally , He loses his brother, He loses all his friends except for nick, he loses his relationship with his daughter
the last one above seemed to really be the most important to him
all fair points well taken!

the guy in the first episode is barely an afterthought beyond the first episode

As is everyone he kills. They are dead, and the plot moves on. He's a hitman, why would you expect them to linger on his kills for multiple episodes?

Vinnie practically gives his blessing to Ray (plus, you don’t become prez of a motorcycle gang by being an angel);

Coming to terms with your impending demise that you can't get out of doesn't equate to "giving your blessing." That's just a laughably stupid claim. Give Vinnie a gun and he would immediately kill Ray.

Ray killed the dog in self defense

Oh, he killed the dog for trying to protect his master who he was in the middle of assassinating for no other reason but money. What a hero. That's literally what every dog would do.

i’m not saying that it’s not made clear that Ray isn’t a “good guy,” just that the show operates in very light shades of grey because Ray is bound by a moral code that is inherently agreeable, even if the methods in which he enacts that code are disagreeable.

I'm not exactly sure what you're criticizing here. Is your complaint that he has somewhat of a moral code and doesn't intentionally slaughter innocent people without provocation?

As is everyone he kills. They are dead, and the plot moves on. He's a hitman, why would you expect them to linger on his kills for multiple episodes?

Coming to terms with your impending demise that you can't get out of doesn't equate to "giving your blessing." That's just a laughably stupid claim. Give Vinnie a gun and he would immediately kill Ray.

Oh, he killed the dog for trying to protect his master who he was in the middle of assassinating for no other reason but money. What a hero. That's literally what every dog would do.

I'm not exactly sure what you're criticizing here. Is your complaint that he has somewhat of a moral code and doesn't intentionally slaughter innocent people without provocation?
uh huh, okay

It has quite a high score on imdb, so I might try it. Thanks for the heads up, TS.

It’s kind of covered. The “kids” he smashed in order to end up in anger management weren't intimidated hence they started shit with him. He even recognises the reality when explaining the road rage incident saying something like “look one on one maybe but if the other guy got out of the car it would be totally different”. They show him in the boxing gym almost every episode yet still show him getting taken down and choked out by a girl with a few years bjj! Davos who knows what he’s capable of still fronts him.

He’s not really supposed to be intimidating in the way you think. He’s never really overtly aggressive and is pretty calm and nonchalant in all his dealings. He’s ruthless as fuck though.

He looks like the sort of guy you think you could take easily, hence the avalanche of people completely outside the crime world constantly testing him in shops, his daughters school, on the road etc

I think had they gone for a muscle bound actor with one eye the series would have lost something and probably be cheesy as fuck and a whole lot less gritty. It’s not an action series. I think in the end it did a good job showing the dirtyness of that world. It’s not pretty because it’s not pretty.

It’s kind of covered. The “kids” he smashed in order to end up in anger management weren't intimidated hence they started shit with him. He even recognises the reality when explaining the road rage incident saying something like “look one on one maybe but if the other guy got out of the car it would be totally different”. They show him in the boxing gym almost every episode yet still show him getting taken down and choked out by a girl with a few years bjj! Davos who knows what he’s capable of still fronts him.

He’s not really supposed to be intimidating in the way you think. He’s never really overtly aggressive and is pretty calm and nonchalant in all his dealings. He’s ruthless as fuck though.

He looks like the sort of guy you think you could take easily, hence the avalanche of people completely outside the crime world constantly testing him in shops, his daughters school, on the road etc

I think had they gone for a muscle bound actor with one eye the series would have lost something and probably be cheesy as fuck and a whole lot less gritty. It’s not an action series. I think in the end it did a good job showing the dirtyness of that world. It’s not pretty because it’s not pretty.
It’s not the build or his actual physical condition, the actor just comes across as completely non athletic in all the fight clips I’ve seen. I don’t know why but it just bugs me a ton. It’s like in shows where the character is supposed to be a Navy SEAL or something snd the actor looks like they barely know which end the bullets would come out of a gun.

It’s not the build or his actual physical condition, the actor just comes across as completely non athletic in all the fight clips I’ve seen. I don’t know why but it just bugs me a ton. It’s like in shows where the character is supposed to be a Navy SEAL or something snd the actor looks like they barely know which end the bullets would come out of a gun.

Fair enough then Sherbro, he is rather awkward I admit

I want to see more shows like this that are under 30 minutes. That's what makes it super bingeable. Usually only sitcoms have the 30 minute running time. The vast majority of dramas go with the hour long running time and sometimes it feels like they are stretching themselves by putting in long or unnecessary scenes. When I watch a show I usually have to gauge whether I actually want to dedicate an hour to watching it. But 25 minutes? Anyone can watch that. And it still feels like I watched an entire episode.

I want to see more shows like this that are under 30 minutes. That's what makes it super bingeable. Usually only sitcoms have the 30 minute running time. The vast majority of dramas go with the hour long running time and sometimes it feels like they are stretching themselves by putting in long or unnecessary scenes. When I watch a show I usually have to gauge whether I actually want to dedicate an hour to watching it. But 25 minutes? Anyone can watch that. And it still feels like I watched an entire episode.
Barry, Atlanta, Beef, & I’m a Virgo are four i can think of off the top of my head that are def worth watching

one of my favorite running gags is people insisting they “don’t have the money,” or any some such implication, even when they pretty clearly are in a dangerous situation; cut to Ray escalating the situation into a more tangible or immediate dangerous situation, prompting the person to pay up w/ the money they actually had all along

obviously this gag takes a bit of a darker turn in s3e1, but the basic outline of the in-universe trope remains the same.

Last edited:
Back