All Time GOAT poll

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Tachy, Feb 23, 2019.

?

Who is the current GOAT

1. GSP

35.3%
  2. Fedor

26.1%
  3. Silva

8.8%
  4. Jones

22.5%
  5. Johnson

1.6%
  6. Other

4.6%
  7. Aldo

1.1%
  1. AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

He also offered to fight GSP at 170 (which Anderson's coaches admitted GSP wanted). How serious do you think Anderson was about offering any of those?

The problem with catch weight is it loses casual PPV's (99% of North America is casual at best, given PPV numbers of 1 million out of about 100 million households, so there's way more money in casuals than hardcore MMA fans), and Anderson and GSP both got a nice share of PPV buys.

Anderson likes to troll (its part of his charm, he doesn't take things seriously). Offering to change weight (170 or catchweight) is part of his trolling -- if he was serious about his offers to change weight he would have fought GSP at 170 like he offered (GSP wanted that). But weight change was a troll.

Ultimately, in no business do you give your competition a free advantage, and changing weight would be accepting a disadvantage for whoever changed weight. Anderson could have made 170 but would have been at a disadvantage. GSP could have made 185, but would have been at a disadvantage. The normal way of handling that is to guarantee more money for whoever agrees to the disadvantage, and both GSP and Anderson are smart guys and would know that, and would have wanted a guaranteed bonus) in the millions for changing weight. The UFC was too cheap to do the normal business thing and give extra for the one taking a disadvantage, neither GSP or Anderson were idiots, and so the fight didn't happen.

2. morrisondafalln Green Belt

He was scared any other of the top 5 mw would raped him. Lol. Dude refused to defend the mw belt. But is considering fighting a way smaller fighter in kahbib. But let gsp fans tell it lol

3. 6 Pack Lapadat Orange Belt

Saying he was overshadowed is an opinion and not fact, and you are asking ppl to explain why you have that opinion.

GSP broke live gate records, attendance records, title defense records, had super fights, and was plenty hyped.

4. AnotherOldGuy Brown Belt

Um baseball? Barry Bonds might not even make it to the baseball hall of fame (a much bigger deal than the UFC hall of fame) because of steroids. Same for Roger Clemens.

Or track and field (the most popular event in the Olympics). Sprinter Ben Johnson was, unit Usain Bolt broke his record, the fastest 100m sprinter ever, but he's not even mentioned in the top sprinter list (and his records and medals taken away from him).

How about Lance Armstrong in cycling - he was one of the Tour de France GOAT's, now because of steroid use he's completely off the list.

And Bonds was a lot more dominant in baseball, and Johnson in the 100m, than anyone has ever been in MMA.

Me, I have the top four (in alphabetical order) as Anderson, Fedor, GSP and Jones, because I think they were all using. But in most sports, steroid use is a disqualifier from GOAT (or even from being champ -- Johnson had to give back medals he'd won a year before he'd tested positive).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  5. scorpiorising Brown Belt

I dont think GSP was over shadowed by anyone.

Anyone who knows anything about MMA brings him up as one of the s. They may not like his style but its undeniable.

If someone says he sucked I basically take everything else they say MMA related with a grain of salt

ThunderStruck likes this.
  6. ryan3434 Brown Belt

Silva says a lot of things..

7. RustyShacleford Blue Belt

They might have had more exciting fights, but based on ppv numbers, they definitely didn't overshadow him

8. ryan3434 Brown Belt

These threads always suck lol. But it's like a train wreck you just cannot not look.
    GSP haters say one thing
    GSP fans counter it

Than the haters move the goal posts and on and on it goes

9. scorpiorising Brown Belt

I think half the time they're just trolling or something.

Anderson JJ GSP were all top of the food chain for a long time.

They got old and JJ went off (or on) the rails.

10. Barteh Brown Belt

To me it feels like people in North America care way more about numbers in sports than people outside of North America do. They see things like GSP won x amount of rounds or some formula that says his opponents were better than Anderson's or Jones' opponents and they put a lot of value into that.

I feel like people in Europe are more likely to see a front kick to Vitor's face and some other sick KO's and think "this is some GOAT shit".

The roids is just an excuse by a small group of haters to try and discredit other GOAT candidates. Which is pretty sad actually because all GOAT candidates are legends in their own right. No need to shit on the "competition".

Fioretti likes this.
  11. Make MMA Great Again White Belt

Yea he didnt need to hang around to get beat since he was getting KOed in his prime instead.

myjohnson9 likes this.
  12. Dbreiden83080 Andle My Riddum

Reeled off a pesky little 13 fight win streak after that. But just a minor detail..

13. C0NCH3TO Gold Belt

Gsp was not overshadowed by Anderson Silva or Jon Jones. Yeah, these guys had more impressive finishes while Gsp was racking up decisions but in terms of ppvs and fame no fucking way they were more famous or made better numbers than GSP.

Now, that said. Anderson and Jones are both cheaters who looked like shit once usada arrived. And I was a huge Anderson fan.

14. immyaxl White Belt

GSP was a bigger draw than Silva or Jones. Silva couldn't draw a dime until Chael came along. Jones was a pretty good draw but never as consistent as GSP. As far as in cage accomplishments both Silva and Jones failed drug tests. GSP never did so up to this point in the history of the UFC he's had the best career.

15. Claude Red Belt

Credit to him. ALC tears are no joke.

Most great fighters can keep winning being past prime though. I think Anderson's wins in 2009 and onwards were all being past prime.

16. Claude Red Belt

Both Anderson and GSP lost in their primes.

GSP simply fought safer after Serra. That's why he became a decision machine.

myjohnson9 likes this.
  17. Claude Red Belt

I'm not asking who's the GOAT.

I'm asking whether GSP is considered the UFC GOAT because of what others did outside the cage and not because of his own merits.

It's different.

myjohnson9 likes this.
  18. Claude Red Belt

I think greasing makes a difference too, specially when you fight grapplers.

And I'm not sure GSP didn't use PEDs. He didn't fail, but hardly anybody failed back then. And he only had 1 fight under USADA.

Not even Jones failed his first USADA fight.

myjohnson9 likes this.
  19. Claude Red Belt

Who are you talking about?

20. Claude Red Belt

Yes he did.

Don't let you fanboyism assume things I never said.

myjohnson9 likes this.