Top 3 in no order

GSP
Fedor
Jones*

I'd probably give Jones #1 solely if he wasn't a blatant PED abuser/cheater

Then there's Silva* at 4th

Then you have Demetrious and Aldo rounding out the top 6

Okay but we are talking about mma.

Fighters represent sport of MMA inside and outside of cage. This is why Conor and Jones are never going to be considered GOATS at anything. Even if they both go on 30 wins killing spree in their respective divisions.

Because of this, Fedor = GOAT.

Top 3, and if you are a hater at least top 5.

Jones and Fedor, then GSP at 4 for me.

This is coming from a huge GSP fan back in the day.

I believe so

He’s really close with Fedor and Aldo though so if you said any of those 3 are GOAT’s I’d agree with you
When Fedor and Silva lost after their incredible streak it seemed like the biggest news in MMA. I actually couldn't believe that they lost for a couple days.

If you include PED cheat how can you not put Jones at number 1? His resume is far better than silva and he's one of if not the most well rounded fighter to ever compete in MMA.

Here's some things against Jon:

Of course it can be debated but I try to stay objective when it comes to these things.

Silva beat his contemporaries (MMA wise). Jon came in when the old guard had already had their time. The legends of LHW had gone through rigorous battles by then. Great timing played a factor.

The other thing is the big names at LHW. This doesn't necessarily speak to the level of competition, but rather just that they were close in competition. Stylistic match ups allowed many different guys to attain the belt (but no one could hold on to it for that long). Thus bolstering their status (and the LHW division overall). When Jon fought the younger guys, he didn't look as good. These guys didn't have the name value of the previous legends that Jon fought but were still tough(er) competition, which speaks to my point.

I'm not saying that Jon wouldn't have been the best at LHW. I'm just saying that is part of why he was successful and why it looks better on paper.

Anyway, I'm not trying to win an argument or change your mind, just giving you some things to consider. I don't care who someone thinks is GOAT, I just want people to try to think deeper and objectively rather than just pick who they like best.

Here's some things against Jon:

Of course it can be debated but I try to stay objective when it comes to these things.

Silva beat his contemporaries (MMA wise). Jon came in when the old guard had already had their time. The legends of LHW had gone through rigorous battles by then. Great timing played a factor.

The other thing is the big names at LHW. This doesn't necessarily speak to the level of competition, but rather just that they were close in competition. Stylistic match ups allowed many different guys to attain the belt (but no one could hold on to it for that long). Thus bolstering their status (and the LHW division overall). When Jon fought the younger guys, he didn't look as good. These guys didn't have the name value of the previous legends that Jon fought but were still tough(er) competition, which speaks to my point.

I'm not saying that Jon wouldn't have been the best at LHW. I'm just saying that is part of why he was successful and why it looks better on paper.

Anyway, I'm not trying to win an argument or change your mind, just giving you some things to consider. I don't care who someone thinks is GOAT, I just want people to try to think deeper and objectively rather than just pick who they like best.

LHW was looked at as the premier division before Jones started dominating it.

Why did you phrase the title as a question when you were going to demonstrate a completely closed mind in the OP...?

I wouldn't call him the greatest, but he will definitely go down as one of the all time greats and remembered for his undefeated streak and title defenses up until you know. Teh chris.

Someone may have a perfect record full of decisions and boring fights. Yikes.
Andy was a showman. Ended fights in so many different ways. Excitement at its best in a show business.
In an imaginary world where you wish to have one fighter back from the day, its either Andy or Fedor. Scarier men in their divisions. Jones and gsp were truly efficient as so many others, Aldo, khabib, to name a few, but these two had something else

He's up there but I don't think greatest mma ever. He has always had problems with wrestlers. Greatest mma would be someone that excels at all aspects with little to no weakness like prime Fedor.

1. Was he the greatest mma fighter of all time?
Yes. An exciting showman who was always a real one. I believe that he was one of the few (in the UFC era) who truly didn't fear defeat and having a blemish on his record. He wasn't scared of father time. He kept (and keeps) fighting because he loved to do so. In a world where fighters are retiring on their primes because they would rather protect their record and how people perceive them, how can you not respect a fighter who truly loves the sport and always gave us a show?

2. The best mma fighter of all time?
Maybe/probably not. There are also amazing fighters who played the game in a smarter way, like jones.

Back