All Things Space

Ganymeade. one of Jupiters moons and the largest in our solar system

ganymede_vg.gif

Callisto another satellite orbiting jupiter. most craters of any moon

callisto.jpg

Europa, another one of jupiters moons

Luna-Europa1.jpg

Alpha Centurai, closest star to our solar system. 3rd brightest star in the night sky, and slightly larger than the sun

exoplanet.jpeg

Yeah, Titan and Europa are the more interesting moons. I read that NASA planned to send a probe to Europa that would dig into the ice to search for an ocean. This was during the 80's or 90's though and like many other highly interesting missions, the plans were scrapped. Though, they are sending a probe to Europa in 2022.

by the time it takes to develop the plan to send a probe, we will have photographs outlining every precious metal and mineral on and under the surface

The Bootes Void
600px-Barnard_68.jpg

How does that happen. What causes the stars, planets, dust,etc... to just leave the big area empty. Is there some sort of dark matter pocket sitting there that we can't see.

yeah thats a mind fuck. when i have more time I'll do a little research ( im sure there are some acceptable hypotheses out there )

I dont wanna post too many pics, because i dont want this moved to P&M. anyways.....
Asteroid Letutia

nasa-space-11.jpg

Sun spot close up

nasa-space-20.jpg

auroras from space

nasa-space-22.jpg

Medusa Nebula

nasa-space-22.jpg
ak0.pinimg.com/736x/05/6e/20/056e2011056f820af93b01670735b237.jpg
056e2011056f820af93b01670735b237.jpg

I dont wanna post too many pics, because i dont want this moved to P&M. anyways.....

Nothing wrong with that. P&M is the best off-topic subforum in this place, hands down.

Nothing wrong with that. P&M is the best off-topic subforum in this place, hands down.

I guess if Madwarff and Avarice are gonna shoop neptune, or you want the topic to die a slow post per hour death.

Titan is more interesting to me than most plants because it's geological and atmospheric make up resemble earths more closely than anything else in our solar system

Or that the gravitational tug between the sun and Saturn are believed to heat up titan enough to melt the ice.

Probably the highest chance for ET life in our solar system.

Or that the gravitational tug between the sun and Saturn are believed to heat up titan enough to melt the ice.

Probably the highest chance for ET life in our solar system.

ya, i think Titans where Nasa should be putting most of their focus

I contend that 500 years from now, many houses will have space observatory rooms with telescopes and spectrometers. It will just become a part of everyday life. Eventually, humanity will have an increased focus on the mysteries of the universe when the technology becomes relatively cheap. Of course it will probably just be a fad that lasts for a few decades, but it will be awesome.

I love browsing through Reddit's Space sub. lots of fascinating wonders out there.

Comet Shoemaker Levy 9

This thing was discovered by amateurs , like many comets are . It was enormous and was on a direct collision course with Jupiter ( Lucky for us ).

Jupiter's gravitational effect is so powerful that on approach the comet was torn into some 19 or so pieces . Estimates are that the impact disturbance in Jupiter's atmosphere of just one of those fragments measured about the size of the earth.

From Wikipedia , a brief description of the power of one of the larger impacts

"Over the next 6 days, 21 distinct impacts were observed, with the largest coming on July 18 at 07:33 UTC when fragment G struck Jupiter. This impact created a giant dark spot over 12,000 km across, and was estimated to have released an energy equivalent to 6,000,000 megatons of TNT (600 times the world's nuclear arsenal).[17] Two impacts 12 hours apart on July 19 created impact marks of similar size to that caused by fragment G, and impacts continued until July 22, when fragment W struck the planet."

[YT]7zNuT4dbdjU[/YT]

Comet Shoemaker Levy 9

This thing was discovered by amateurs , like many comets are . It was enormous and was on a direct collision course with Jupiter ( Lucky for us ).

Jupiter's gravitational effect is so powerful that on approach the comet was torn into some 19 or so pieces . Estimates are that the impact disturbance in Jupiter's atmosphere of just one of those fragments measured about the size of the earth.

From Wikipedia , a brief description of the power of on of the larger impacts

"Over the next 6 days, 21 distinct impacts were observed, with the largest coming on July 18 at 07:33 UTC when fragment G struck Jupiter. This impact created a giant dark spot over 12,000 km across, and was estimated to have released an energy equivalent to 6,000,000 megatons of TNT (600 times the world's nuclear arsenal).[17] Two impacts 12 hours apart on July 19 created impact marks of similar size to that caused by fragment G, and impacts continued until July 22, when fragment W struck the planet."

[YT]7zNuT4dbdjU[/YT]
seeing the magnitude of the blast while understanding the sheer size of jupiter is insane. thankfully we have big brother jupiter watching out for us, without its gravitational pull the earth would have never stood a chance

Things I would love to see before I die:

Manned flight to Mars. Titan would be great, but the 2-3 year flight time makes in improbable if not impossible with current tech, and certain death.

Discovery of ANY ET life. Just a single cell organism being discovered and suspicions that the universe is teaming with life becomes a lot more...scientific.

I love browsing through Reddit's Space sub. lots of fascinating wonders out there.

can't get into reddit, it's such a poorly designed site. hard on the eyes and difficult to navigate

Discovery of ANY ET life. Just a single cell organism being discovered and suspicions that the universe is teaming with life becomes a lot more...scientific.

I don't know if this will happen, but maybe traces of microbial life that once existed.
I imagine that before I die we will discover than life at least at one time existed on another planet/moon.

I don't know if this will happen, but maybe traces of microbial life that once existed.
I imagine that before I die we will discover than life at least at one time existed on another planet/moon.

Oh it doesn't have to be alive. Just that it's ET.

Some interesting facts about other planets in our Solar System , though the distinction planet is somewhat dubious since they keep changing their mind about what is or isn't a planet.

There are several debris fields in our solar system , one is the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter

Another is called the Kuiper Belt which is beyond the orbit of neptune

And lastly there is the Oort cloud residing on the outer border of our solar system.

All of these areas are subject to the attraction of our sun and as such part of the solar system .

And within these regions there are other planets.

Or as they have been described , Trans Neptunian Objects , Kuiper Belt objects , Oort cloud Objects , Dwarf planets... etc.

Here's a video about some objects in the Kuiper belt of which Pluto is now one, and the asteroid belt.

[YT]Ho5FEyftFss[/YT]

and here's an interesting article about the possible existence of a massive planet in our solar system , in the Oort cloud that maybe responsible for the odd orbit and axis tilt of some of our outermost planets.

It's been called planet Tyche. This should give us some idea of how much there is yet to learn , we're not even certain of a planetary count in our own solar system.

http://www.space.com/10952-nasa-giant-planet-tyche-faq-wise.html

Back