Media Aljamain Sterling wants the UFC to pay up before signing contract for Dillashaw fight.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

Aljamain Sterling wants more money to take on T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 279.

The UFC bantamweight champion pumped the brakes on a title fight with the former champ less than 24 hours after multiple media outlets reported it was targeted for the promotion’s Sept. 10 pay-per-view.

“There’s no fight until there’s ink on paper, and as of right now, my contract is exactly the same,” Sterling said on his official YouTube channel.

In a previous video, Sterling revealed his base pay was $400,000 for a UFC 273 rematch against Petr Yan, which he won by split decision. UFC champions also typically share in pay-per-view profits from numbered events, the total of which isn’t available for several months.

Sterling indicated he wanted an “escalator” similar to the contracts of non-champions, which for every win bump up a fighter’s pay by several thousand dollars.

In his case, Sterling believes it’s a fair exchange for the work he did promoting UFC 273, a fight where he was widely cast as the heel for winning the title via disqualification at UFC 259.

“There has been no escalator in this fight,” Sterling said. “I’d like to think I played my part, did the right things, and even allowed myself to be the bad guy in the last outing with Petr Yan, and help play up the storyline.

“So one would think that being a company man would actually help you in the long run. So I did my job – as of right now, I’m training, hoping that we come to some type of agreement to give some type of pay bump which naturally happens in all the contracts.”

Sterling said neither he or his management has received official confirmation about the Dillashaw fight or its location. He wants a some sort of sitdown with UFC officials to address his concerns.

“For me, I want to make sure we get the deal right before we just jump into another fight, because at the end of the day, I climbed through the ranks, I worked my ass off, and I played my position in terms of helping to promote the fights, which a lot of these guys don’t even do,” he said. “I’m here to be a company man, and at the same time, I want to look out for my best interests. There’s a fine line where there’s a balance where getting both of those done can happen.”

So no matter what has been reported thus far, Sterling said until he meets with the UFC, “there is no fight. I’m not defending against nobody. I’m on vacation until then, but I’m training getting myself back.”

In revealing his pay, Sterling issued a passionate rebuttal to one-time title challenger Michael Chandler on the issue of fighter pay, arguing that fighters deserve a larger slice of the revenue for the work they put in to get to a title.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/6/...tract-for-ufc-279-there-has-been-no-escalator

The UFC makes billions, is internationally known, and has such a monopoly on the sport that its pretty much synonymous with MMA, yet they cant even pay their champs an automatic minimum of like one million per fight, even if its just for optics sake. That is beyond embarrassing.

Dana bets like fucking 25k per hand in blackjack, but they wanna nickel and dime their champs out of 100/200k, THEIR CHAMPS LMAO!! I mean we’re not even talking about someone ranked 9th here or some shit like that, we’re talking about the belt holders. At least have some respect for the supposed prestige of being a titleholder in your organization and pay these guys salaries worthy of a champion.

Pathetic

<DisgustingHHH>

Last edited:
dana-white.gif

I'm all for fighters getting more, but how much PPVs are Alijo and TJ going to sell? I'm sick of negotiations in between every fight for every fighter. To his credit in my eyes he's more of a champ than he was when he first got the belt, but let's not act like he's putting on the craziest fights.

He signed a contract, can't change the rules now. Make Aldo vs Merab for the interim belt and if he still refuses to fight after that, strip him and make the winner defend against the snake for the undisputed belt.

The UFC makes billions, is internationally known, and has such a monopoly on the sport that its pretty much synonymous with MMA, yet they cant even pay their champs an automatic minimum of like one million per fight, even if its just for optics sake. That is beyond embarrassing.

Dana bets like fucking 25k per hand in blackjack, but they wanna nickel and dime their champs out of 100/200k more or less. THE CHAMPS lmaoo!! We’re not talking about someone ranked 9th here or some shit like that, but the belt holders. I know this subject has been done to death, but I’m not even arguing for a general pay increase, at least have some respect for the prestige of being a champ in your organization and pay these guys salaries worthy of a champion.

Pathetic

<DisgustingHHH>

Shut the fuck up, your crying and white knighting isn't going to get fighters paid more. Since you obviously are triggered by the UFC's business practices, how about you stop supporting them. Stop watching their events and stop posting here. Go to Worldwide Discussion and jerk off with the other ufc haters "OH yea baby, look at 40% revenue sharing in Bellator, that's hot"

Shut the fuck up, your crying and white knighting isn't going to get fighters paid more. Since you obviously are triggered by the UFC's business practices, how about you stop supporting them. Stop watching their events and stop posting here. Go to Worldwide Discussion and jerk off with the other ufc haters "OH yea baby, look at 40% revenue sharing in Bellator, that's hot"

Lol eat my dick, who made you the fucking authority on what opinions are allowed here?

Last edited:
This is going to be every fight with this guy

Back