News Alistair Overeem officially retires from combat sports

Right decision, or should Overeem have followed his original plan and compete in GLORY’s Grand Prix?

• Total voters
Oh yeah I remember that news about him joining BVNL. Weird choice.

Though to be honest, I am not even sure if he really is vegetarian or if he just used that as some questionable excuse for losing size due to getting of the PEDs again.
I'd say you're probably onto something...

He might well have become vegetarian too. I wouldn't put it past him. It hould be a convenient excuse, not necessarily a made up one.
Maybe a combo of both. Could be that his new wife has impacted him in a positive way, and he wants to do right and also take care of himself. Supposing that is the case, he must be pretty happy.

I remember reading that he was having heart issues and has decided to focus on his health.

Good for him, he's made really good money and has a 10/10 wife. Enjoy your life.
Really? Strange....

Heb eigenlijk niet echt gevolgd wat de partij heeft gedaan, maar heb Van Haga altijd wel gemogen, dus kon veel erger
Ik volg dat wereldje eigenlijk helemaal niet als ik eerlijk ben man, maar opvallend om Reem die kant op te zien gaan.
Hopelijk doet hij het goed, haalt hij er plezier uit en kan die een leuke bijdrage leveren.

5 years later than needed.

One of the greatest heavyweights of all time.

Had the so called HW GOAT shitting his pants and refusibg to face him in SF.

Happy retirement Sport!! Really enjoyed watching your fights with Stipe, Liddell, Browne and Rothwell.

After rumours circling around about Alistair Overeem retiring earlier this year, my team reached out to Reem’s management to clear things up.
They told us Overeem definitely ain’t retiring yet because he still wants to compete in GLORY’s 8-man heavyweight Grand Prix in December, to close out his legendary combat sports career.

Now it turns out that after all, the 43-years-old Alistair Overeem actually decided to retire, officially announced during an interview with Panorama today.

Here’s a report regarding the news written by Sherdog’s own @BoxerMaurits (non-Dutchies, make sure to hit the translate button on Instagram;)):

Reposted by Alistair Overeem:

upload_2023-10-4_22-59-3-jpeg.1004908

Will always be a Reem fan. One of the reasons I tuned in to MMA more than I should have.
He's had a hell of a career, with only a UFC belt missing from his hardware!
Considering he's actually planning to get into politics, retiring is just the right decision at this point. Gotta keep as much of one's brain cells as you can!
WAR REEM!

P.S. funny enough, my band and I actually rehearsed a song we called "OVEREEM" just over a week ago. Fuckin' A I'm driven to record it now. (WE SUCK, of course).

Nothing left to prove and with how much weight he has lost it probably wouldn't have gone well.

Was going to ask/comment on that.

Is that pic after the new vegan diet econoreem pics?

Was going to ask/comment on that.

Is that pic after the new vegan diet econoreem pics?
Nah, those are his most recent pics:

Reem still is a good looking fella

No reason to keep going. He's done it all at the highest level for decades.

Good luck to him and hopefully je enjoys his retirement. He should think about having a cooking show on how to make horsesteak

Back