News Alistair Overeem officially retires from combat sports

Right decision, or should Overeem have followed his original plan and compete in GLORY’s Grand Prix?

• Total voters
Ah damn, I thought he was going to fight Phil De Fries in KSW

damn, respect to Overeem, a legendary career for sure. One of the first MMA fighters to embrace the hammer of Mjolnir, as well as the benefits of Horse steaks. Dude fought some of the best, took his beatings, and also dished them out. To achieve what he was able to do in MMA AND K-1 is ridiculous. For a time, he was HW MMA K1 Royalty. Horses everywhere breathing sighs of relief right now. He truly fought the best of Pride, then tested himself amongst giants at HW, beating world class strikers in K1, almost UFC gold. Wish we would have gotten the real UBEREEM in UFC, but oh well. Going to try to find some horse steaks tonight.

Lol, of course Vegetareem should've retired.

After rumours circling around about Alistair Overeem retiring earlier this year, my team reached out to Reem’s management to clear things up.
They told us Overeem definitely ain’t retiring yet because he still wants to compete in GLORY’s 8-man heavyweight Grand Prix in December, to close out his legendary combat sports career.

Now it turns out that after all, the 43-years-old Alistair Overeem actually decided to retire, officially announced during an interview with Panorama today.

Here’s a report regarding the news written by Sherdog’s own @BoxerMaurits (non-Dutchies, make sure to hit the translate button on Instagram;)):

Reposted by Alistair Overeem:

upload_2023-10-4_22-59-3-jpeg.1004908

BVNL? <mma4>

I voted for the GP, but that's just me being a selfish fan. Good luck to him

You want Reem dead, bud? Have you not seen how much of his gainz he has lost since he swore off the horse and other meat diet?

You want Reem dead, bud? Have you not seen how much of his gainz he has lost since he swore off the horse and other meat diet?
he def lost to badr hari in the most recent match, but wasn't completely outclassed IMO. just needed some more time, way more horse steaks, and way more horse supplements. compared to where the competition is at in GLORY he could have made it exciting. I was hoping ONE would have gotten their open weight Muay Thai tournament going by now, he would have been a good entry. I think he gives anyone of the most recent K1 Rebirth fighters a competitive fight too. It's too bad, the end of an era, multiple eras with each legendary fighters retirement. We can only hope they un retire soon, to sacrifice themselves to the Just Bleed gods. May the blood runneth.

he def lost to badr hari in the most recent match, but wasn't completely outclassed IMO. just needed some more time, way more horse steaks, and way more horse supplements. compared to where the competition is at in GLORY he could have made it exciting. I was hoping ONE would have gotten their open weight Muay Thai tournament going by now, he would have been a good entry. I think he gives anyone of the most recent K1 Rebirth fighters a competitive fight too. It's too bad, the end of an era, multiple eras with each legendary fighters retirement. We can only hope they un retire soon, to sacrifice themselves to the Just Bleed gods. May the blood runneth.

The Badr fight was before he went vegetarian, bud. He would perform much worse if he would fight now

Last edited:
I've always wondered why Reem gets (or at least seems to) a certain pass when it comes to certain things that other fighters don't get passes for...

That said, his doing it doesn't bother me, it's just the way he gets passes that others don't. Can't argue he had a great career, iconic across multiple orgs.

I remember the HL reel KOs we got when he was skinny. So, not necessarily dead, but mostly dead. For my entertainment lol

I've always wondered why Reem gets (or at least seems to) a certain pass when it comes to certain things that other fighters don't get passes for...

That said, his doing it doesn't bother me, it's just the way he gets passes that others don't. Can't argue he had a great career, iconic across multiple orgs.

Because he has competed mostly in orgs where PEDs are rampant and he got caught in the UFC and turned into Econoreem. Also, he doesn't really come up in GOAT conversations much and that's where the most critique against PED users comes from.

I remember the HL reel KOs we got when he was skinny. So, not necessarily dead, but mostly dead. For my entertainment lol

Yeah, but even then he was feeding his body the right type of proteins. Your entertainment is a worthy goal though, so I'll allow it!

Though to be honest, I am not even sure if he really is vegetarian or if he just used that as some questionable excuse for losing size due to getting of the PEDs again.

His longevity was something to behold. Still learning and evolving after all those years of being a multi-sport athlete.

Shame he didn't won the UFC belt, but he fought everywhere and in the top promotions.

Legend

Back