News Alistair Overeem officially retires from combat sports

Right decision, or should Overeem have followed his original plan and compete in GLORY’s Grand Prix?

• Total voters
Good luck to him and hopefully je enjoys his retirement. He should think about having a cooking show on how to make horsesteak

Honestly he's a pretty charismatic and articulate guy, this isn't much of a reach. I'd watch.

One of the greatest heavyweights of all time.

Had the so called HW GOAT shitting his pants and refusibg to face him in SF.

Well… I know one of the HW goats (UFC) was chasing Overeem all around the cage before KOing him in Cleveland. Hit him so hard he FELT A TAP somewhere in the afterlife and then he came to.

Well… I know one of the HW goats (UFC) was chasing Overeem all around the cage before KOing him in Cleveland. Hit him so hard he FELT A TAP somewhere in the afterlife and then he came to.

That means Overeem faced pretty much every dangerous fighter in all of the era's he fought in except for Cain Velasquez, a fight he would have gotten if he got past Bigfoot Silva.

I can't say the same for your Idol who ducked an entire generation of fighters and yet still got beat by a few of them. In his prime.

i thought it was confirmed when he did that interview saying he's gone vegan or something

One of the best offensive weapons in combat sport history

07a93bdce2d25723bb18e418f14b0bc2.png

It's not even close.

War Overeem! Legendary career nothing let to prove enjoy retirement well deserved and earned.

After rumours circling around about Alistair Overeem retiring earlier this year, my team reached out to Reem’s management to clear things up.
They told us Overeem definitely ain’t retiring yet because he still wants to compete in GLORY’s 8-man heavyweight Grand Prix in December, to close out his legendary combat sports career.

Now it turns out that after all, the 43-years-old Alistair Overeem actually decided to retire, officially announced during an interview with Panorama today.

Here’s a report regarding the news written by Sherdog’s own @BoxerMaurits (non-Dutchies, make sure to hit the translate button on Instagram;)):

Reposted by Alistair Overeem:

upload_2023-10-4_22-59-3-jpeg.1004908

I think its the right move for him personally and i hope he becomes like a trainer or something.. to like carry the Legacy forward maybe opens a gym...

But the fight fan in me wouldn't have mind it at all had he gone and did the tournament then retire...

Officially announced by Alistair Overeem:

Back