Movies ALIEN: ROMULUS ($42 Million Opening Weekend)

If you have seen ALEN: ROMULUS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
The Alien franchise is easy to market.
Is it though? Pretty sure they've all performed poorly, since the original trilogy. Moderate opening weekend and then a swift death. I don't think these classic franchises are as easy to market as they continue to believe. Terminator, Alien, Predator...all newer iterations have been met with a big old "Meh'" at the BO. I honestly don't know why they're still getting green lit.

It's like a teen slasher movie but they just threw a Xenomorph into the mix instead of Ghostface or another iconic villain.

Yea I do agree with that POV but I still think the movie looks good.

Is it though? Pretty sure they've all performed poorly, since the original trilogy. Moderate opening weekend and then a swift death. I don't think these classic franchises are as easy to market as they continue to believe. Terminator, Alien, Predator...all newer iterations have been met with a big old "Meh'" at the BO. I honestly don't know why they're still getting green lit.

In the context of the horror genre, yes.

Prometheus had MASSIVE hype, and is top 10 all time worldwide box office for horror films. The horror genre in general has a limited market though.

Alien: Covenant had a hard time generating hype because it was connected to Prometheus, which wasn’t well received.

You might be right though, that these franchises have outstayed their welcome.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but a moderate opening weekend can be enough to break even (or close to it). Breaking even may not sound great, but you are not losing money and you are generating employment for a lot people

If a film from one of those franchises has any pop whatsoever, it will make mucho deniro.

I'm taking that risk. But I would require oversight of the production.

It's the only way to be sure.

I just hope they don't carry ANYTHING from the dogshit prometheus/covenant over to Romulus. That would be sad. Just acknowledge Alien/Aliens and go from there.

I actually just saw Alien Covenant for the first time. It wasn’t as bad as people say it was. It wasn’t great. But it wasn’t bad.

I didn’t even really like Prometheus. I’m hoping for more on this one.

In the context of the horror genre, yes.

Prometheus had MASSIVE hype, and is top 10 all time worldwide box office for horror films. The horror genre in general has a limited market though.

Alien: Covenant had a hard time generating hype because it was connected to Prometheus, which wasn’t well received.

You might be right though, that these franchises have outstayed their welcome.
If you can find a way to make them great on a lower budget and you are willing to take risks without altering the franchise fundamentals there is plenty of upside and money there.

even though i thought the teaser was promising (first time i even learned there was going to be another new Alien movie), i’ve been 100% indifferent on Romulus & the Alien franchise in general since Prometheus (doubt i’ll ever watch Covenant because i simply do not care). now i’m legitimately interested (or at least curious) after seeing the trailer for Romulus on the big screen. looks like it will be a proper suspenseful & squishy bloodbath directed w/ swagger. i get the feeling that Fede Álvarez was focused on playing in the Alien sandbox w/o worrying himself about making an Alien movie that’d potentially be stepping on the toes of the legacy of Alien & Aliens.

bonus points: stars the lead actor from Rye Lane, David Jonsson, who was really dang good in that movie. Romulus could end up sucking donkey dick, but i’ll be rooting for it at the box office because David Jonsson getting more starring roles would be a net positive for everyone imo

AMC poster:

97fswnwrmofd1.jpeg

Back