Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quits Facebook, calls social media ‘a public health risk’

Good move. I've recently done the same.

Social media thrives on outrage. It's what generates likes, shares, and comments. So, of course, that's what you see the most of. Scandals and outrage get blown out of proportion. It's like the 24hr news cycle on crack. Plus it naturally creates a bunch of echo chambers, with people sharing often incorrect or misleading information reinforcing their misguided views (anti vaxxers and flat earthers being the prime examples). Spending too much time on it can give you a warped sense of reality (see Exhibit A: The War Room).

Couple that with the fact that's intentionally addictive, providing users with a dopamine hit every time they get a like/share/etc, and it's a dangerous combo.

Plus of course, it increases anxiety and dissatisfaction with your life, because you see a curated highlight reel of others lives, but are forced to live your own behind the scenes, warts n all.

I genuinely think social media is playing a large part is the disintegration of our societies and we'd be better off without them... Or at least significantly reduced use of them.

AOC must have had a Woke moment

Sherdog fucking up left and right and I agree with AOC? What augmented reality have I fallen into?

lol. And she's trying to cut down on Instagram and Twitter too.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s nimbleness at using social media helped her win a seat in Congress and into the national spotlight. But that doesn’t mean she’s a fan.

Congresswoman says she’s cutting back on Twitter, Instagram

“Social media poses a public health risk to everybody.”

In an interview posted Sunday on Yahoo News’ Skullduggery podcast, the New York Democrat said she’s given up Facebook FB, +0.31% , and is cutting back on her use of Twitter TWTR, +0.99% and Instagram, citing the ill effects of social media.

“I think it has effects on everybody,” she said. “Increased isolation, depression, anxiety, addiction, escapism.”

“I personally gave up Facebook, which was kind of a big deal because I started my campaign on Facebook,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “And Facebook was my primary digital organizing tool for a very long time. I gave up on it.”

“I’ve started to kind of impose little rules on myself,” she added. “Like every once in a while, you’ll see me hop on Twitter on the weekends, but for the most part, I take consumption of content — when it comes to consumption and reading — I take the weekends off.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...-social-media-a-public-health-risk-2019-04-15

Disclaimer: I own Twitter and Facebook stock and they are going higher.
Yes. Weren't you aware that words equate to violence now? It's a page right out of Karl Marx' handbook. Next thing you know, people will be getting jailed for having opinions that oppose the SJW crowd. Joseph Stalin and Adolf Hitler would be proud.

So her announcement that she's cutting down on social media caused Facebook and Twitter stock to go up? She must be one of the most powerful people in the US now. Fear the ditz!

Good move. I've recently done the same.

Social media thrives on outrage. It's what generates likes, shares, and comments. So, of course, that's what you see the most of. Scandals and outrage get blown out of proportion. It's like the 24hr news cycle on crack. Plus it naturally creates a bunch of echo chambers, with people sharing often incorrect or misleading information reinforcing their misguided views (anti vaxxers and flat earthers being the prime examples). Spending too much time on it can give you a warped sense of reality (see Exhibit A: The War Room).

Couple that with the fact that's intentionally addictive, providing users with a dopamine hit every time they get a like/share/etc, and it's a dangerous combo.

Plus of course, it increases anxiety and dissatisfaction with your life, because you see a curated highlight reel of others lives, but are forced to live your own behind the scenes, warts n all.

I genuinely think social media is playing a large part is the disintegration of our societies and we'd be better off without them... Or at least significantly reduced use of them.

Replace social media in your post with leftist policies and platforms and you're spot on.

So her announcement that she's cutting down on social media caused Facebook and Twitter stock to go up? She must be one of the most powerful people in the US now. Fear the ditz!

Why would it not go up? She's bad for business, ask Amazon.

Would she be where she is today without social media though?

You guys ever measure your grip strength? Where you at?
BewitchedEagerAmericanriverotter-size_restricted.gif
I've measured my girth. Interested?

Replace social media in your post with leftist policies and platforms and you're spot on.
What an interesting and nuanced take.

Just out of interest, how much time do you spend on social media?

What an interesting and nuanced take.

Just out of interest, how much time do you spend on social media?
A lot, social media pays my bills and then some.

did she mention sherdog?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back