Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quits Facebook, calls social media ‘a public health risk’

Go for a walk or something man
You can just admit you're wrong and move on. Congress never voted on a green new deal, thats a demonstrable fact that I just demonstrated. They voted on a resolution on the need to create a green new deal.
giphy.gif

She's not wrong at all. Good on her for trying to improve herself. As a politician you are certainly handicapping your ability to sell yourself and win elections without social media which means she's taking a serious risk. Just look at our Twitter president

You can just admit you're wrong and move on. Congress never voted on a green new deal, thats a demonstrable fact that I just demonstrated. They voted on a resolution on the need to create a green new deal.

Lol man don't try to actually explain how politics work to them, it's a huge waste of time. None of them actually care about legislation or political procedure, they just want to say "LIBERAL BTFO" and "BETA CUCK!!!!"

Lol man don't try to actually explain how politics work to them, it's a huge waste of time. None of them actually care about legislation or political procedure, they just want to say "LIBERAL BTFO" and "BETA CUCK!!!!"
God damn it would be hilarious if it weren't so frustrating that tens of millions of these morons inhabit this country.

Trump 2020 keep cry about ur fail green deal haha

Even donkeys get things right once in awhile. Truthfully though I think this is more of a stunt and she will be back. She just didn't like the fact that these platforms, despite censorship of conservatives, are not perfected echo chambers for the exclusive use of the far left.

giphy.gif

Yes, no one disagrees with your technical point, we all just realize it is irrelevant because McConnell's reason for bringing the resolution to a vote was gamesmanship and nothing more. The vote demonstrated clearly that her own party didn't want to touch her half-baked ideas with a ten foot pole.

Ironically, for a person fussing about memes, you aren't providing much more here than name-calling and cheap gotcha points. You are in fact trying to use this minor point to deflect from the more substantial conversation about how very bad and dangerous her ideas are. Do you think the points in the document published on her website were good ideas? How about the promise of economic security for people unwilling to work? How does that strike you?

She ain't wrong. And as someone that dislikes her for a number of reasons, it says something that I agree with her.

Social media had an opportunity to be an amazing tool, to help people gain a view of the world they wouldn't have otherwise. It had a chance to connect people from all walks of life and all corners of the globe. And instead, it quickly turned into a massive political machine for both sides that made things worse. It created massive echo chambers, somehow cut people off from other opinions, corralled people into same-think groups that never strayed from the line. It's fucking pathetic, sad, and as she stated a massive problem.

And that's just the political view of it. There is also the social aspect, people looking towards things like instagram stars as what normal should be. Thinking they are failing at life because they can't live up to on-line joneses that are created creatures that have no basis in reality. It creates a world of depression around them where they can't possibly keep up, be what they think the world wants them to be. And it grinds them down into the dirt every time they log on and see a fake reality created by others.

All in all, social media had a chance to be something amazing, to bring humanity together. Instead it's mostly torn us apart, wrecked lives, driven people into depression, and hurt lives. It's a stain, and one that needs to be wrangled in and controlled because sadly people have shown time and time again that they do not have the mindset or care to handle the power given to them responsibly.

The orange one says some dumb stuff everyday does not come with death threats like AOC faces. Not surprising she's quitting she likely scared to death. People stalking her latest some arrested in front of her office leaving a death threat. So much for free speech.

While Trump brags about his building being the tallest post 9/11 like right after.

She's right.
People that use Facebook never leave the house.
They all transform into basement gremlins constantly seeking validation through social media.
They are all Incels

No, picture the polar opposite.
So you follow a lot of "left wing" social media?

Regardless of the political leanings of the accounts you follow, the problem is the same; the loudest, most controversial, literally outrageous voices get the most attention. When something gets the most attention, it's easy to mistake it for being the majority, when it's actually just a very vocal minority.

Ultimately, you end up with a skewed sense of reality.

The reality is that we're all much more similar than some of us would like to admit. Think about your day to day interactions with actual, real humans, face to face. How does it usually go? Completely fine right? Of course there are assholes and lunatics around, but they are in the minority. Most people just want to go about their day, doing their best to survive. That's reality. But of course, cohesion, peace, and civil discussion are all boring and do not generate interactions on social media, so the reality social media presents is entirely different.

This is a massive problem, imo. I have no idea what the "fix" is though.

She wouldn't be dancing and twirling on rooftops I'll tell you that much.

It's amazing how triggered you guys are by a video of her dancing in college when the guy you love goes on twitter and is like "Dwah, why dontcha drop water with da planes onto da big church?!"

So you follow a lot of "left wing" social media?

Regardless of the political leanings of the accounts you follow, the problem is the same; the loudest, most controversial, literally outrageous voices get the most attention. When something gets the most attention, it's easy to mistake it for being the majority, when it's actually just a very vocal minority.

Ultimately, you end up with a skewed sense of reality.

The reality is that we're all much more similar than some of us would like to admit. Think about your day to day interactions with actual, real humans, face to face. How does it usually go? Completely fine right? Of course there are assholes and lunatics around, but they are in the minority. Most people just want to go about their day, doing their best to survive. That's reality. But of course, cohesion, peace, and civil discussion are all boring and do not generate interactions on social media, so the reality social media presents is entirely different.

This is a massive problem, imo. I have no idea what the "fix" is though.
I agree with the latter of your statement, not the former. I say some pretty crazy, outrageous stuff here, most just ignore me, except for one of my first thread. Social Media is just one of many platforms, big corporations use to influence us, and collect data on us, it's controlled like almost every other platform. Just about everyone of us is living in some form of skewed sense of reality, even without social media, for example most people here have no idea that what they have been fed their whole lives only tells one side of a story. Nobody knows what's real and what's not, we're all being taught and programmed from birth. To grasp society, or life, one must be open-minded. This is the next step to finding a "fix".

Or the fact that she's not a corporate shill and has a plethora of substantive policy stances?

The right literally thinks memes are arguments. The absolute state.

"A plethora of substantive policy stances"
"The right literally thinks memes are arguments"

Statement #1 is so laughable it isn't even an argument. You may as well say the earth is flat.
Statement #2 is how the right reacts to the ridiculous, laughable statements such as statement #1.

I won't use memes: You're a retard.

The same people that applaud free speech unless it's a so-called private company, will applaud this.

I actually think it's a scam. Maybe they're not paying her enough.

She is absolute trash but the left eats her up.

Back