Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez quits Facebook, calls social media ‘a public health risk’

JonesBones

Excuse my contraflow
@Steel
Reaction score
lol. And she's trying to cut down on Instagram and Twitter too.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s nimbleness at using social media helped her win a seat in Congress and into the national spotlight. But that doesn’t mean she’s a fan.

Congresswoman says she’s cutting back on Twitter, Instagram

“Social media poses a public health risk to everybody.”

In an interview posted Sunday on Yahoo News’ Skullduggery podcast, the New York Democrat said she’s given up Facebook FB, +0.31% , and is cutting back on her use of Twitter TWTR, +0.99% and Instagram, citing the ill effects of social media.

“I think it has effects on everybody,” she said. “Increased isolation, depression, anxiety, addiction, escapism.”

“I personally gave up Facebook, which was kind of a big deal because I started my campaign on Facebook,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “And Facebook was my primary digital organizing tool for a very long time. I gave up on it.”

“I’ve started to kind of impose little rules on myself,” she added. “Like every once in a while, you’ll see me hop on Twitter on the weekends, but for the most part, I take consumption of content — when it comes to consumption and reading — I take the weekends off.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...-social-media-a-public-health-risk-2019-04-15

Disclaimer: I own Twitter and Facebook stock and they are going higher.

I finally AGREE with AOC on something...Social media is a public health risk...it got her elected.

<Gordonhat>

Hmm, that’s the first smart thing I’ve heard her say...

lol. And she's trying to cut down on Instagram and Twitter too.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s nimbleness at using social media helped her win a seat in Congress and into the national spotlight. But that doesn’t mean she’s a fan.

Congresswoman says she’s cutting back on Twitter, Instagram

“Social media poses a public health risk to everybody.”

In an interview posted Sunday on Yahoo News’ Skullduggery podcast, the New York Democrat said she’s given up Facebook FB, +0.31% , and is cutting back on her use of Twitter TWTR, +0.99% and Instagram, citing the ill effects of social media.

“I think it has effects on everybody,” she said. “Increased isolation, depression, anxiety, addiction, escapism.”

“I personally gave up Facebook, which was kind of a big deal because I started my campaign on Facebook,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “And Facebook was my primary digital organizing tool for a very long time. I gave up on it.”

“I’ve started to kind of impose little rules on myself,” she added. “Like every once in a while, you’ll see me hop on Twitter on the weekends, but for the most part, I take consumption of content — when it comes to consumption and reading — I take the weekends off.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a...-social-media-a-public-health-risk-2019-04-15

Disclaimer: I own Twitter and Facebook stock and they are going higher.

I mean on some level we all know she's right. I've experienced and know many people who feel the same. Admitting she's right doesn't mean you have to quit using social media, plenty of other things we all do in our everyday lives we know isn't healthy but keep doing. Think the internet is going to turn ADD from learning disabilities into the norm for example because we're used to being able to jump from experience to experience super quickly and even the experience of watching a movie or tv show is super restricting compared to that.

Think social media's main harm is it's replacing normal interaction but people saying that a lot of that interaction wouldn't be happening at all in the past have a good point.

Good for her. I have to wonder if she came up with this idea on her own or if this this was given to her by her handlers.

giphy.gif

She's right. Something something broken clock.

I mean on some level we all know she's right. I've experienced and know many people who feel the same. Admitting she's right doesn't mean you have to quit using social media, plenty of other things we all do in our everyday lives we know isn't healthy but keep doing. Think the internet is going to turn ADD from learning disabilities into the norm for example because we're used to being able to jump from experience to experience super quickly and even the experience of watching a movie or tv show is super restricting compared to that.

Think social media's main harm is it's replacing normal interaction but people saying that a lot of that interaction wouldn't be happening at all in the past have a good point.
Yeah pretty much this. Our world is pretty trash right now in so many ways thanks to the absurd freewheeling of social media. It's the rot of TV with the regulation of wyoming boxing match.

Oh, and once again AOC is 100% spot on the money. Social media is cancerous, especially facebook. It IS a public health risk.

Oh, and once again AOC is 100% spot on the money. Social media is cancerous, especially facebook. It IS a public health risk.

Yet she is posting on it tonight. It benefits people like her immensely. Twitter particularly. Twitter is worse.

She's right. I appreciate when people say things that needed to be said, publicly.

It’s a Democrat echo chamber, and that’s too much for her????

Back