Media Alexandre Pantoja reveals he ‘almost blacked out’ during UFC 296 title defense: "I took his back and started to feel ill"

Almost passing out while having someone's back seems unheard of and must have been quite rattling for anyone who's never experienced it, even if one happens to be a pro fighter.
You don't think going through that and not giving up position required some grit and heart?
If anything it's you who's disrespecting fighters but not giving credit where it's due, Wang.
Like I said, what else is he going to do? Just call time out and sit in the corner? How many other ufc fighters would have done the same and pushed through it? 99%? 100%? It ain't like had a foot the size of a balloon and fought through that.

Almost passing out while having someone's back seems unheard of and must have been quite rattling for anyone who's never experienced it, even if one happens to be a pro fighter.
You don't think going through that and not giving up position required some grit and heart?
If anything it's you who's disrespecting fighters but not giving credit where it's due, Wang.

He does put a pretty good pace on early in his fights. He needs to make an adjustment now he is in 5 rounders. He definitely has good conditioning but his pacing seems to be a bit off in his last two fights. He is kinda riding them out on control time after doing the opposite early. Aldo was kinda similar in that he would dominate for the first 3 rounds with awesome volume and then hold on over the next couple rounds.

Like I said, what else is he going to do? Just call time out and sit in the corner? How many other ufc fighters would have done the same and pushed through it? 99%? 100%? It ain't like had a foot the size of a balloon and fought through that.
Pantoja could have given up back control when he was close to passing out. But he didn't - showed heart and only lost control because Royval was fighting hard to reverse position.

The fact that it rarely happens for a fighter shows how scary that was, and would have been enough reason to just LET GO and defend on one's back.

How difficult is that to understand? Why are you so adamant on dismissing Pantoja's toughness? Your standards are too high for a warrior, Wang.

“I almost blacked out trying to put him out,” Pantoja said. “Coming back from the third to fourth round, [coach Marcos] ‘Parrumpinha’ came to me and said, ‘We lost that round.’ I’m like, ‘What? No way we lost it, master’. ‘Parrumpinha’ is the best coach in the world today, in my opinion, and he said that to give me sense of urgency because we’re fighting an American in the United States and he knows everything counts. He gives me this sense of urgency, we need the next round to solidify.”

Pantoja said he stood off the stool before the one-minute break ended, laser-focused on giving his best in the next round, and that’s when things went south for him.

“I started with everything and when I took his back, I started to feel ill,” Pantoja said. “I was aware that I was going out, man. That’s never happen in my life before. I’m still processing what happened. But I started to see the world spinning, brother, like if I was drunk, you lay on bed and everything starts to spin. I’m like, ‘Damn, I’m going out here.’ I’m on his back and no way I could allow him to get out of there because I’d be in real trouble.”

Pantoja was able to work on a neck crank despite the scare and try to choke out Royval, who showed incredible guts to escape the finishing moved used by Pantoja to tap him out the first time they met inside the octagon in 2021.

“It’s like a movie going on inside your head, ‘It’s time, I’ll catch him,’” Pantoja said. “I use all the energy I have, man. It was on. It wasn’t under the chin, it was more of a neck crank, but that still hurts. Hats off to Brandon Royval, he was willing to go the extra mile in the fight. He escaped [the choke], I still have his back for a while, but he doesn’t stop for a minute and reverses position and ends on top. I had no energy to get back up so I kind of give him the position and stay under. I go for a leg lock to threaten him a bit and stop his attacks.”

Pantoja went back to the stool before the fifth round and informed American Top Team coaches “Parrumpinha” and Luciano “Macarrão” of the situation.

“I’m very careful with what I say on the stool because everybody’s listening,” Pantoja said. “I was a bit upset that it didn’t air on the broadcast. I told my coaches — I have to give them feedback, they have to know what’s going on with me — that I’m dizzy, I’m very dizzy. It’s funny because my striking coach ‘Macarrão’ said, ‘Get up, Pantoja, get up,’ and hugs me, and starts jumping with me in the octagon. I wish I had that footage. I’m like, ‘Let me go, ‘Macarrão’! What are you doing? He’ll see that I’m not OK.’ [Laughs.] It was a funny situation.”

More: https://www.mmafighting.com/2024/1/...most-blacked-out-during-ufc-296-title-defense

Fought through it like a real champion.

Get the same feeling some times when I'm pooping.
Just wanted to let you know that I'm glad to have read this 2 weeks old post.

Constipation isn't cool but hey, god decided that you can't have both opiates and healthy pooping.

Back