Alexander Karelin - Resistance Bands?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by zakkwild, Jul 20, 2005.

1. zakkwild

zakkwild White Belt

I was wondering if anyone uses resistance bands in their workout routines? I was trying to find what Alexander Karelin did/does for strength training and there is very little info. He does have a website however and the training pics show him doing a lot of exercises with resistance bands. Just wondering if anyone knows what sort of movement he is doing in these pics? And if you guys can tell me any other exercises to do with them?

http://www.karelin.ru/eng/?foto-training2
    http://www.karelin.ru/eng/?foto-training1

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

that guy aint pretty is he?

If you want information on Band training (not WSB style band training) and want to get started, you can go to ironmind.com and pick up their fabled cables set and the brookfield book on cable training. For longer cables take a trip to your local hardware store and pick up some surgical tubing.

Now asside from telling you to buy stuff, I should probably give you some information. Band training is pretty god damn old. If you consider the archers of medeival europe pulling on bows that were twice as hard as the ones they use for fighting to build strength, then cable training is about 1000 years old. it's had its day in the strongman circuits (in fact, brookfield talks about this in the book), and old time wrestlers used to swear by it.

Two big exercises with cables are the chest expansion and archer pull. Chest expansion is holding the cables out in front of you in each hand (arms extended) then stretching them across your chest (keeping your arms straight) until your arms are in the crucifix position. An archer pull is just like pulling on a bow.

I highly reccomend anyone interested in this kind of training go out and buy the brookfield book first, some sugical tubing from the hardware store to play with second, and the fabled cables third.

3. Sonny

Sonny Titanium Belt

Does Brookfield recommend using the bands while wearing a speedo as well?

4. Lusst

Lusst Red Belt

[​IMG]

5. killer_kicks88

killer_kicks88 Green Belt

he seems all fat there and then in the wrestling season he is all in shape...weird, rulon gardner, hes a plumper

6. HE WlLL CRUSH YOU

7. rickdog

rickdog Purple Belt

Did anyone else see the pic of him on the second link page where he has his hands out infront of him and has no shirt on. Look in his hands, that animal is bending a nail in each of them!!!!!!! He is a friggen animal.

8. rickdog

rickdog Purple Belt

ttt, I want you grip enthusiasts to check out that picture

9. RuleOfSteel2

RuleOfSteel2 Cauli Belt

Band training was an intergal part of soviet wrestling training program, since the fall of the USSR it has spread. If any of you guys watched the video clip of Fedor training (posted in the mma forum) you saw him beating a tire with a sledgehammer & doing some band training. Same kind of training throughtout the soviet sports programs. Before the fall of the USSR, some soviet wrestlers would make comments about their training when asked: hammering tires, bands & bodyweight lifts (dips & chins/pull ups) little if any weights.
    Always thought they were bullshitting until I did a tour of the republic right after the fall and I saw and experienced the training first hand. world class wrestlers taking turns hammering tires and the few barbells around look like they've been there before the formation of the Soviet Union.

10. ThaiThaiThai

ThaiThaiThai Banned Banned

11. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

ban. really??? learn some forum etiquette. You just bumped a 3.5 YEAR OLD THREAD to say TTT? Get the fuck off the internet.

12. krellik

krellik Gimli son of Cisco

Perfect chance to write that suposedly Karelin liked the zercher deadlift and did 10s of 200kg.

13. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

14. Barut

Barut Banned Banned

15. bacon

bacon Silver Belt

Ban.

16. Barut

Barut Banned Banned

+1.

17. Calvo

Calvo Purple Belt

18. daemonarch

daemonarch blow for blow

hahaha...

was it "ttt", like, as in "to the top" or as for his nick "thaithaithai" - now we'll never know...lol, whichever it may be, it worked for him to get the hamer, ..see, always something...:icon_lol:

19. Dirty Holt

Dirty Holt Black Belt Professional Fighter

he has trained in america before. i happen to know tha with the bands, he does pummelling and backsteps (arm throws, headlocks). he also did circuit training and his main conditioning while wrestling was buddy/body weight exercises.

20. Andy Rickert

Andy Rickert Amateur Fighter

So is the thing about him running stadiums with a fridge on his back true? Because Ill be heart broken if it isnt