Aleksandr Karelin

Nah.

PCF57PW55AK26J3B3M5DIGHLDQ.jpg
Ironically, I could see a resemblence if Karelin was clean.

I'm prepared to be flamed for this but everyone should remember that guys get channeled into greco roman wrestling because they're not good enough at freestyle wrestling to make a go of it. In the context of MMA who knows, Randy and Chael were great, but if Karelin were the greatest wrestler ever he wouldn't be doing greco roman.

Can't watch this right now.

Cliffs?

Fedor respect Karelin immensely,
and refused to say he would beat Karelin.

on the other hand, he refused to say he would lose to him,
implying he thinks he would win but wouldnt say it.

I replied before reading any responses lol.

First one nailed it. Guy was a science experiment. So were Coleman, Randleman, Kerr, Coutere, CroCop etc so fuck it

Yeah, agreed. If he competed in MMA around 2000, I think he would have ran through a lot of people.

USADA would of course prevent him from being what he was then, but he's still a phenomenal athlete/wrestler and HW is certainly shallow

They usually dont let soviet bloc wrestlers into the UFC

Prior to khabib and romeros era i can only name a tiny handful like the janitor

wrestling is the best style of grappling sport and freestyle is the best style of wrestling but 99.99% of pure freestyle wrestlers aren't Americans and the UFC is desperate for American champions so they have always tried to keep them out

Pure Greco is 100% worse than worthless for MMA

Avoid at all costs

Only grappling sport that's even worse would be pure ijf Judo

It's all speculation. But you watch Khabib, you watch GSP, you watch DC .... Peak Aleksandr Karelin in the UFC today.

Thoughts?
He'd get picked apart. He was strong as fuck. But he might just be the slowest human being of all time. He moves like a post-TRT Big Foot or Andrei the Giant. That would get him oblieratd in MMA.

wrestling is the best style of grappling sport and freestyle is the best style of wrestling but 99.99% of pure freestyle wrestlers aren't Americans and the UFC is desperate for American champions so they have always tried to keep them out

Avoid at all costs

That's not true at all. For the most part European wrestling just doesn't work. Just like most of their things, it's style over substance. American wrestling is all about coming from catch if catch can styles, just like BJJ. European wrestling is mostly a social spot for gays to meet and 'grapple' each other.

I'm prepared to be flamed for this but everyone should remember that guys get channeled into greco roman wrestling because they're not good enough at freestyle wrestling to make a go of it. In the context of MMA who knows, Randy and Chael were great, but if Karelin were the greatest wrestler ever he wouldn't be doing greco roman.
IF you actually watch him it's immediately apparent why he did greco roman. He's the slowest moving guy of all time. In a world with shoots and sprawls, Karelin sucks balls. In a world where you have to always by the rules be tied up, and it's a test of strength -- Karelin is top dog. Unfortunately MMA isn't all in the clinch -- other parts, like freestyle wrestling and striking, require explosiveness. And every dude on this forum is more explosive than Karelin, he's that bad. He's so slow that he gets fucked up by regional tier fighters in MMA.

That's not true at all. For the most part European wrestling just doesn't work. Just like most of their things, it's style over substance. American wrestling is all about coming from catch if catch can styles, just like BJJ. European wrestling is mostly a social spot for gays to meet and 'grapple' each other.
well I've been coaching the sport for 20 years and American folk style wrestling is just a Nerfed down version of Freestyle Wrestling made safe for school kids by eliminating big throws and concentrating on turning your opponent over for the pin rather than taking them from their feet to the ground like freestyle

International freestyle is by far the best style of wrestling for mixed martial arts but nobody knows it because nobody knows anything about wrestling

Just look at this list of illegal moves from folkstyle wrestling and ask yourself is this actually the best style for MMA?

A peak Karelin from back then today would not be able to cut down to the top limit.
He weighed in at 1.3000E+17 picograms (roughly 287lbs) when he wrestled with very little body fat.

Some lightweigths cut 22 pounds of water, lol. Pretty extreme, but still.

He would lose some muscle mass for endurance required for MMA and he would make HW limit no problem.

Avoid at all costs

Jon jones greco roman wrestler- longest reigning LHW champion

Randy couture greco roman wrestler...Mutliple division and Repeat champion

Should i continue? Theres many

What a white belt post

Hahaha

Jon jones greco roman wrestler- longest reigning LHW champion

Randy couture greco roman wrestler...Mutliple division and Repeat champion

Should i continue? Theres many

What a white belt post
How many decades have you been a wrestling coach?

randy and John are not International style wrestlers... in fact no Americans are because they don't have international wrestling in the states in any real quantity

they're folk style wrestlers that dabbled in international style

Khabib is an International wrestler that never contaminated himself with lame-ass American folk style wrestling

Your sherdog Belt level is completely irrelevant to your knowledge on mixed martial arts in fact it's quite commonly antithetical

If I'm someone that did 20 years of Muay Thai and had three boxing bouts at the end of my career I'm not really a good example of a boxer!

well I've been coaching the sport for 20 years and American folk style wrestling is just a Nerfed down version of Freestyle Wrestling made safe for school kids by eliminating big throws and concentrating on turning your opponent over for the pin rather than taking them from their feet to the ground like freestyle

International freestyle is by far the best style of wrestling for mixed martial arts but nobody knows it because nobody knows anything about wrestling

Just look at this list of illegal moves from folkstyle wrestling and ask yourself is this actually the best style for MMA?

Dude it's common knowledge that folkstyle translates better to MMA than freestyle wrestling. More emphasis on top control, less emphasis on high-amplitude throws (which most of the time aren't that useful for MMA just because they're so hard to do). Yoel Romero was an Olympic freestyle wrestler but he is not good at holding people down.

Dude it's common knowledge that folkstyle translates better to MMA than freestyle wrestling. More emphasis on top control, less emphasis on high-amplitude throws (which most of the time aren't that useful for MMA just because they're so hard to do). Yoel Romero was an Olympic freestyle wrestler but he is not good at holding people down.
You should use Freestyle Wrestling on the feet and as soon as you go to the ground you should use Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Folkstyle wrestling concentrates on holding a guy down that uses the turtle position exclusively and focuses 99% of its techniques on turning him from Turtle to his back

People who are American mixed martial arts fans have had their interpretation of the sport perverted by the UFC sports entertainment policy

Just because all your heroes are folk style wrestlers doesn't mean it's the best style for MMA

I present you Karam Gaber, the gold medalist in the 2004 96kg greco Roman wrestling. He fought old iron head in the New Year's Eve show in Japan in 2004. He thought he could just bully Fujita around. Here's the actual fight.

a) 96kg is like 210 pounds, Fujita is like 260.
b) that was an awkward boxing match.

Some lightweigths cut 22 pounds of water, lol. Pretty extreme, but still.

He would lose some muscle mass for endurance required for MMA and he would make HW limit no problem.
And that's not even taking into consideration that 22 pounds of water would be waaaay less for Karelin than for any lightweight!

Back