Aldo confirms he'll retire this year

Same point that has been made by countless others before.. its not really rocket science, even (unfortunately for me..) Dana has made a habit of giving it from time to time, and you have been here since 2010 so I am sure you have heard it before..

You dont set a date, multiple fights before.. when you are set to retire.
Its not football. (a la Zidane etc.)

Well, I disagree. Setting a retirement date and sticking with it is probably a better career plan than retiring on a whim after every other fight. DC and Aldo have the right idea.

images

Definitely in the GOAT Rushmore.
THE FW GOAT,PRIME!

Jose Aldo Junior.

Just finish your business with (the joke that the UFC turned out to be) and go rest in your laurels

Last edited:
His run was amazing, the mainstream casual mma fans don’t respect him enough because of his losses to Holloway and McGregor.

GOAT in mma is basically subjective everybody has their take on who is the greatest, Aldo belongs up there.

Subjectively my GOATs are (in no particular order)

Aldo
Silva
Jones
GSP
Fedor
B.J.
DJ
DC

Aldo’s run was one of the best ever, hall of fame career, truly one of the greats of mma.
Jose would often cry after dominant title defenses. He's an endearing fighter and one that I hold in lofty regards

I think the timing couldn’t be better. Enjoyed a long reign. Lost. Regained his title. Then passed the torch the new king of the division. Great win over Stephens. Can still retire a winner while leaving the belt behind in the hands of a dominant, defending champion. He’s at the right place in his career. Probably not championship caliber anymore, but still near the top. Great career for a great champion.
Quality post.

I think the timing couldn’t be better. Enjoyed a long reign. Lost. Regained his title. Then passed the torch the new king of the division. Great win over Stephens. Can still retire a winner while leaving the belt behind in the hands of a dominant, defending champion. He’s at the right place in his career. Probably not championship caliber anymore, but still near the top. Great career for a great champion.
he is championship caliber, just last month people thought ortega were gonna beat max and were all over that hype train. aldo is still the #2 guy in a deep ass division, imo. sadly, if he does want to move on this year he wont get the title back unless max's next fight is at 155 and he leaves 145 abruptly. then, late this year maybe he exits with a title shot for a vacant belt vs volkanovski most likely

the champion clause stops you from fighting in another orginazation. It doesn't stop you from retiring.

he is championship caliber, just last month people thought ortega were gonna beat max and were all over that hype train. aldo is still the #2 guy in a deep ass division, imo. sadly, if he does want to move on this year he wont get the title back unless max's next fight is at 155 and he leaves 145 abruptly. then, late this year maybe he exits with a title shot for a vacant belt vs volkanovski most likely

That’s pretty much what I’m saying. As long as max is around Aldo isn’t getting the belt. He’s still works class, top 5 if not 2. He had a great reign but was soundly beaten by the new top dog. Nothing left to prove.

It's almost like he wants some extra money before retiring and has a job fighting for money or something. 3 more fights will add some nice money to his retirement savings.

Yeah. Go figure.

That’s pretty much what I’m saying. As long as max is around Aldo isn’t getting the belt. He’s still works class, top 5 if not 2. He had a great reign but was soundly beaten by the new top dog. Nothing left to prove.
if he goes out winning these last 3-4 in a row he moves up in the goat talks for sure. gsp and andy for example wont have the accomplishment that aldo will have which is adding more new gen contenders to his resume. if goes out beating guys like moicano, volkanovski, zabit etc. that is very impressive.

after andy lost to weidman he went on a nice losing streak. gsp left without losing but has since only came back to a good matchup for him in bisping. really jones has been the only other guy consistently taking tough fights. granted andy is fucking 43 so i wouldnt expect him to go through the gauntlet even 3-4 years ago i wouldnt expect him to do that.

adding moicano, volkanovski, zabit etc. makes aldos resume much stronger and puts it up there with gsp's and jones' tbh. right now i think his resume is just a tick below that because he had rematches multiple times like with edgar and mendes instead of a fresh new challenger. shit they tried to have him and cub fight before this was announced. hopefully no more repeat opponents for him unless its conor

hope he get rematch with Connor, whether it's a big pay day, revenge or both.

Back