Aikido (Steven Seagal) in MMA: Does anyone actually believe it can work in MMA?

Theoretically speaking, right?

Grappling is 80% about achieving a superior position so why do you talk shit about armbars?

In a street fight, If I can get top position and weigh down on the guy against the concrete, then obviously it's up to me which submission to use? I could just disable his shoulder by going for the americana which would mean I won't have to jepordize my positioning, but going for an armbar would certainly not be out of the picture... What are you getting at?

Here is another example of the effectiveness of BJJ guard in a real fight:

I'd imagine Judo + boxing would go well together. By the way, how did you mess up your knees in Karate? I'm asking because I remember when I took Karate, the masters would make the student sit on the floor in the traditional Japanese way, and that really hurt my knees and ankles almost every time after class.

In my preteen years, I started out in Karate (Shorin Ryu Karate) school that I think had a mix with TKD. Did that for a few years, until I got bored and stopped going. :icon_lol: The techniques were 50% flashy and 50% somewhat effective. It was alright, but I would pick Muay Thai or Kickboxing/boxing over it if I knew then what I know now.

During that time, I also did Kung Fu. I don't know the name of this variation of Kung Fu, since there are so many of them out there. But basically, it was garbage for real fighting, I can tell you that much. When a real fight happened, all the "Kung Fu" techniques went out the window, and it became kickboxing and wrestling with ground and pound lol!

Well the crappy instruction of hitting air all the time and jumping around probably wasn't fantastic for the cartilage but it had little to do with my knees going bad. The Army fucked up most of it with ruck marches and dumb ass long distance runs up and down hill pounding concrete etc. I had a hell of a time pulling off any kicks for a long time after a meniscus tear. I realized If I didn't get the opportunity to grab my potential attacker i'd probably get my ass beat so I decided boxing would be best. They do blend very well together actually. I'd have done muay thai too if I knew but now probably not with my broken body. I do plan to get back into karate but only after I get some better knee braces and more therapy.

Yeah I havent heard many success stories with kung fu either. I had an instructor that I look back and he was kind of a dick now that I think of it. He wouldn't teach me Judo unless I took Aikido with it under him. I kind of went through the motions and drew my on conclusions about it. I branched off and studied under different people. I think deep down he knew it was BS too lol

dude..

hespect

Funny thing about that vid is THATS NOT AIKIDO i have seen American kenpo instructors do the same stuff Jeet kun do also has it in their system so does krav maga en several other self defense systems !

Does aikido work in mma in my opinion NO but could a elite fighter pull some aikido like moves off in a mma fight HELL yeah ..

I don,t know how it is in the States but i live in Holland and over here Most kick-boxing gym,s say most traditional disciplines don,t work in modern day mma

So styles as karate teakwondo kung fu and other asian styles where forgotten
(of course Not MUAY THAI) that is the only exception

Trainers said front kicks side kicks oblique kicks and kung fu like kicks don,t work
you need to kick form you hips bla bla ...

But Bones does that oblique stuff and it works he even does the mid-body version
and that classic wing chun stuff .. so to make a long story short everything can work if its done in a practical way

what makes you think they don't work in a street fight (vs low level opponents), assuming we're talking about 1vs1 fight here?

so your definition of a street fight or what you earlier phrased as a 'real fight' is pretty much a sanctioned match between 2 people on the streets?

cool.

Punches dont always end a fight. I would honestly risk eating a punch i was ready for and breaking a guys finger, his hand would pretty much be useless and then i could strike with him.

I just think there could be more to learn and improve in martial arts.

The way some mma fans react to some TMAs is downright disrespectful and not progressive for the sport of mma. I mean, phil baroni said kicking is for girls, and guys would look like idiots doing jumping kicks etc. Then machida jumping front kicks couture and pettis flies off the fence and kicks someone in a title fight. Its true people fear what they dont know and fear turns into hatred. Jon jones' arm bending move in the glover fight is an old kung fu move i saw in a movie, (im almost sure it was a wrestling move because my coach showed me something similar in high school).

People need to have more of an open mind when it comes to new stuff. Being closed minded doesnt evolve anything. Same shit is boring.

Exactly this. It's the same way people who practiced TMA back in the day wanted nothing to do with wrestling and other grappling arts.

There is no reason to be ignorant. Real martial artist want to gain as much knowledge as possible.

Well the crappy instruction of hitting air all the time and jumping around probably wasn't fantastic for the cartilage but it had little to do with my knees going bad. The Army fucked up most of it with ruck marches and dumb ass long distance runs up and down hill pounding concrete etc.

A cousin of mine also got his knees messed up in the Army. He told me they would do drills where he had to jump out from helicopters hovering from about 5-10 feet.

I had a hell of a time pulling off any kicks for a long time after a meniscus tear. I realized If I didn't get the opportunity to grab my potential attacker i'd probably get my ass beat so I decided boxing would be best.

LOL, it's funny because a lot of the time, the simplest answer is the correct answer.

They do blend very well together actually. I'd have done muay thai too if I knew but now probably not with my broken body. I do plan to get back into karate but only after I get some better knee braces and more therapy.

I have had ligament sprain and light injury on my knees and shoulders (boxing and weight lifting), and I have had some experience with physical therapy, and I can tell you that a lot of the times, PT doesn't help much when it comes to ligament injury. Resting is one of the best ways to let the body heal itself. The better way to heal these type of injuries is by using HGH (I have seen this talked about so many times on bodybuilding forums). I know someone in real life who was a former bodybuilder who told me the same thing. Look into it if you're interested.

Yeah I havent heard many success stories with kung fu either. I had an instructor that I look back and he was kind of a dick now that I think of it. He wouldn't teach me Judo unless I took Aikido with it under him. I kind of went through the motions and drew my on conclusions about it. I branched off and studied under different people. I think deep down he knew it was BS too lol

tom-cruise-laughing.gif

Amen Brother. The biggest flaw with a lot of things is the founder passes it on to his pupil, who then passes is it on to his pupil, whos pupil passes it to his, then theirs go to another country to teach what they remember, and then those people teach. Before you know it no one really knows shit anymore. That is where I think wing chun, aikido and a bunch of styles are stuck in right now. Yes they were originally effective but now too watered down. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

Well, when you start attending classes with any sensei or sifu, you have to do every silly thing they make you do and their authority is absolute.
It could take years to find useful gems in each art.

And for some reason, there is a public fascination with an art being "pure" and "authentic". You have to be able to prove your lineage.
A guy with a black belt from some major Asian master will be sought after and the guy teaching a hybrid style of things that work will not fill up his class the same way.

so your definition of a street fight or what you earlier phrased as a 'real fight' is pretty much a sanctioned match between 2 people on the streets?

cool.

LOL, let me guess, here comes the typical, "a real fight has groin shots and eye gouging"?

This has been proven at UFC 1 that BJJ worked when there were eye gouging and groin shots.

Or let me guess, you were going to say, "a real fight is vs multiple opponents / weapons"?

In that case, no martial art will work.

Why is it that every time when there is a discussion about how TMAs aren't effective, the people who defend them always resort to these ridiculous arguments?

cool.

So no street fights are ever one on one? Stop trolling Coolio.

Original Aikido, yes. The stuff most peeps do nowadays, no.

There are still some schools in Aikido that do it right. But not enough.

But where the fuck does this god damn idea come from that a martial art does not spar?!? That is not an art thing. Any school can spar, or not. Yes, there are bjj peeps out there in schools that have never rolled and been promoted.

A cousin of mine also got his knees messed up in the Army. He told me they would do drills where he had to jump out from helicopters hovering from about 5-10 feet.

LOL, it's funny because a lot of the time, the simplest answer is the correct answer.

I have had ligament sprain and light injury on my knees and shoulders (boxing and weight lifting), and I have had some experience with physical therapy, and I can tell you that a lot of the times, PT doesn't help much when it comes to ligament injury. Resting is one of the best ways to let the body heal itself. The better way to heal these type of injuries is by using HGH (I have seen this talked about so many times on bodybuilding forums). I know someone in real life who was a former bodybuilder who told me the same thing. Look into it if you're interested.

tom-cruise-laughing.gif

Thanks for the information man. Well the biggest problem I have is I dont have much if any cartilage left in my knees. I just refuse to be a pussy and feel sorry for myself. I refuse to let it completely stop me from enjoying life. I'm really looking for an answer to that. Maybe put something to numb the knees like the thai fighters use on their shins? I got excited when I saw those cybernetic knee braces on batman. Then I discovered we haven't gotten there yet.

Pretty sure BJJ is better for a street fight than Aikido. If youre trying to hint at it being bad because of potentially more than one opponent, what make Aikido better than BJJ in that situation?

He probably thinks Aikido is good vs. multiple opponents after watching Seagal dispatched 4-5 opponents in his choreographed Aikido demo :icon_lol:.

Well, when you start attending classes with any sensei or sifu, you have to do every silly thing they make you do and their authority is absolute.
It could take years to find useful gems in each art.

And for some reason, there is a public fascination with an art being "pure" and "authentic". You have to be able to prove your lineage.
A guy with a black belt from some major Asian master will be sought after and the guy teaching a hybrid style of things that work will not fill up his class the same way.

I see what you're saying. When it comes to that stuff, I really want to know if this guy has any fighting experience. Like a damn kickboxing instructor thats never kickboxed in his life is ludicrous. If you're going to use the typical mcdojo excuse of my style is too deadly for competition you better to some wild shit to back up your claim. Break some bricks that I picked out and dodge this bat i'm going to hit you with.

The aikido speds never fail to entertain in these threads.

I'm done. Your reason for bringing up cung was " I saw a san shou demonstration with cung le and he was tossing guys around left and right, then i saw him do that shit in real competition! Omg"
So much spinning shit mentioned right? Fuck off and go try to convince yourself ninjitsu is that next evolutionary step
Are you saying that San Shou would not be useful in MMA?

Thanks for the information man. Well the biggest problem I have is I dont have much if any cartilage left in my knees. I just refuse to be a pussy and feel sorry for myself. I refuse to let it completely stop me from enjoying life.

I like the way you think.
icon14.gif

I'm really looking for an answer to that. Maybe put something to numb the knees like the thai fighters use on their shins? I got excited when I saw those cybernetic knee braces on batman. Then I discovered we haven't gotten there yet.

LOL@ the cybernetic knees. Unfortunately, we're not there yet. :icon_chee

I like the way you think.
icon14.gif

LOL@ the cybernetic knees. Unfortunately, we're not there yet. :icon_chee

Well I will manage. I'm really amazed at all the seagal nut huggers in this thread. Even my aikido instructor who was under karl keis - the same one that mentored the great and honorable steven seagal thought he was a joke. He was well aware of gene choking him out and knew it to be true. I asked him one day how will this work against a boxer? I was only 16 and was just curious. His wife then tells me to shut my smart ass mouth and never disrespect her husband like that again. This shit is like a cult man.

had to spell his name right. Shows how much I give a fuck about him lol

So no street fights are ever one on one? Stop trolling Coolio.

where I'm from when people talk about 'street fights' it generally means... well, a street fight.

Not a backyard mma fight -_-

We asked Royce about Aikido in an interview we did in 2001.
He said "It is better to know aikido than to not know aikido."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back