Aikido (Steven Seagal) in MMA: Does anyone actually believe it can work in MMA?

the difference is people knowing boxing, kickboxing and MT would work in striking. There's no chinese boxing practitioner dominating K-1 max or transitioning from it to boxing like nak muay fighters or kickboxers have done, or boxers the other way around. Or someone from that background or from Aikido coming to MMA and dominating. Meaning their cross-training transition has been historically useless, while those other arts have shown effective results there and are visibly effective.

But for the longest time karate and tkd for example were seen as shit too. With no "proven" effectiveness, until guys like machida, wonderboy and pettis start tearin it up. The video of the tkd guy getting slammed a bunch of times by travis fulton has been seen 3 million times on youtube alone. And to this day there are tons of comments saying "that tae kwon do crap doesnt work in real fighting". Therefor i will have an open mind with regards to any martial art that has dedicated practitioners.

Remember, people thought the world was flat and that anyone who thinks we could be standing on a roundish ball is stupid because we would fall off.

Ask Vitor Belfort about the legitimacy of Sensei Seagal's teachings-

video-anderson-silva-vitor-belfort-ufc-126.gif

1. Quoting Phil Baroni is quoting an idiot. Not the best foundation for any argument.

2. All those jumping spinning kicks have been tested and been proven valuable. They used to say the same thing about the jab.

3. Aikido needs to prove itself, somewhere, anywhere, and it'll get the respect it deserves. Jesus, people have even won matches with capoeira moves.

1. Just quoting a popular fighter who seems to have the same close mindedness as many sherdoggers.

2. Exactly. They were thought ineffective until they were proven not to be. Maybe aikido will show itself in the future, we wont know because nobody even trains in it!

3. The reason it hasnt been proven much is because like krav maga it is more for street self defense then ring combat. Basically u need to be attacked to defend. It is more for defense. The kote gaeshi is a great technique if dont right and adapted to mma.

Half of the moves would be banned, too deadly.

With the recent talks of Steven Seagal "teaching Cormier some 'deadly' techniques," I was wondering if anyone here on Sherdog actually believe Aikido can work in MMA?

This was what Bas Rutten said about Aikido in MMA:

[YT]-k_uumIQ1uk[/YT]

This was what happened when Aikido met a real martial art (wrestling):

[YT]PLP_DInpPHE[/YT]

From what I know, Aikido practitioners don't even spar. All they do is perform choreographed demo against each other. Aikido is a nice martial art for the movies, not real fighting.

some schools spar if you want to call it that but its more of a dance off. It isn't choreographed but when they are both trying to do something it just ends up looking like really shitty judo where neither guy knows what to do. As for my opinion of aikido all you've got to do is check my post history. I don't have high regards for it to say the least. I have a background in it too.

But for the longest time karate and tkd for example were seen as shit too. With no "proven" effectiveness, until guys like machida, wonderboy and pettis start tearin it up. The video of the tkd guy getting slammed a bunch of times by travis fulton has been seen 3 million times on youtube alone. And to this day there are tons of comments saying "that tae kwon do crap doesnt work in real fighting". Therefor i will have an open mind with regards to any martial art that has dedicated practitioners.

Remember, people thought the world was flat and that anyone who thinks we could be standing on a roundish ball is stupid because we would fall off.

Traditional styles were ridiculed due to style vs style early UFC match-ups, but I said earlier karate as a whole had found success in MMA, while the kicking aspect of TKD was legit. The distancing and lack of punches in it made it useless as a base style, which it still is. Need to learn punching to make it work. With Aikido there isn't anything big like that that MIGHT work when cross-trained. Someone could do a trip, but trips in Judo are more effective because you control the whole body.

Seagal, shouldn't you be in bed? You have a long day of following DC around tomorrow to look relevant.

Seagal, shouldn't you be in bed? You have a long day of following DC around tomorrow to look relevant.

Seagal is awesome. I love it when people interview him tongue-in-cheek. Helwani does it well without hiding his cover.

Seagal is awesome. I love it when people interview him tongue-in-cheek. Helwani does it well without hiding his cover.

new York rick was pleading for helwani to not do anymore seagal interviews in 2015. it may be over.

Prime Seagal:

[YT]fH6HtkySiCQ[/YT]

I don't think it would translate to the cage very well.

new York rick was pleading for helwani to not do anymore seagal interviews in 2015. it may be over.

I guess they want to keep the show legit by not giving him attention, had enough of Ariel's goofing, which he seems to enjoy thoroughly (was giddy when he heard the news from DC that SS is horsing around again).

I remember an Aikido guy telling me that the juji-gatame wouldn't work in a real fight.

it's said to see how people make fun of some martial art style(s)...
everything should be respected whether it has it's use (only in your opinion) in mma or not, that's my 2 cents.

everything should be respected whether it has it's use (only in your opinion) in mma or not, that's my 2 cents.

is there any footage of it working?

anything besides little Asians flying all over like they got hit by a Kamehameha?

Aikido is mostly bull shit. Steven Segall could throw little japanese men around in exhibitions because he out weighed them by 100 pounds and they were trained to dive easy for him.

Aikido is mostly bull shit. Steven Segall could throw little japanese men around in exhibitions because he out weighed them by 100 pounds and they were trained to dive easy for him.

And this is backed up by what, your say so?

Last edited:

I came from a traditional martial art background, and I can tell you right now that the "everything should be respected" is what is fundamentally wrong with many TMAs and what is holding it back.

It's a fake respect, and people don't even understand what it means.

How has the "respect" philosophy held back TMAs? By keeping and passing down old, flawed techniques invented by the original grand masters who are idolized and worshiped like gods, and that's fundamentally wrong with TMAs.

Because of these reasons, students are not allowed to modify techniques and throw away the old ones that don't work. As the result, the martial art itself cannot evolve.

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." - Bruce Lee

"Aikido is the deadliest and most effective martial art on the planet, I have trained for 50 years. I once got jumped by 10 guys I was able to take them all out cleanly, one guy even exploded into chunks upon impact. I'm now so deadly I have to be kept in a cage. Aikido also gives me psychic abilities that's how I'm able to type this, good morrow."

I came from a traditional martial art background, and I can tell you right now that the "everything should be respected" is what is fundamentally wrong with many TMAs and what is holding it back.

It's a fake respect, and people don't even understand what it means.

How has the "respect" philosophy held back TMAs? By keeping and passing down old, flawed techniques invented by the original grand masters who are idolized and worshiped like gods, and that's fundamentally wrong with TMAs.

Because of these reasons, students are not allowed to modify techniques and throw away the old ones that don't work. As the result, the martial art itself cannot evolve.

"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." - Bruce Lee

Amen Brother. The biggest flaw with a lot of things is the founder passes it on to his pupil, who then passes is it on to his pupil, whos pupil passes it to his, then theirs go to another country to teach what they remember, and then those people teach. Before you know it no one really knows shit anymore. That is where I think wing chun, aikido and a bunch of styles are stuck in right now. Yes they were originally effective but now too watered down. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

Back