Aikido or aki no?

No-gi bjj, judo.

Escrima so you beat people down with paton

and practice at wildwest style quick draw.

The thing about aikido is the techniques are almost always practiced with a compliant partner who will not attempt to resist the technique.

If you then try to apply the same technique in a real-world setting, you'll have no idea what to do when your opponent actually does resist the technique. And they WILL resist...no one's gonna just stand there while you try to wristlock them or send them soaring through the air into a brick wall.

If you trained aikido in the traditional way, and also practiced the techniques against a training partner who offers a realistic level of resistance, you may be able to apply those techniques on the str33t. You will have to grab a training partner and say: "hey, let me try that nikkyo technique on you but don't let me get it, struggle a bit."

If you don't add the resistance training, you'll have some techniques that you MIGHT be able to force on a surprised, drunken perp. Then again, you might just have a false sense of confidence and not much else...that's what I hated about aikido...the smug, 4'6" 90lb feminazis with the sport goggles and the unibrows who were so smugly confident that they could use their chi to reduce you to your component atoms....

I actually did Hapkido ... is Aikido practiced differently?

My Hapkido instructor taught us how to apply it from sleeve grips AND in the "teasing" application they were punching .... you could get it if he doesn't know what's coming ... if you miss, you just go into punching mode.

I'll share some haiku composed about Aikido:

I can throw you from
Any way you choose to strike
Except for that one

Aikido, a way
For hippies to wear big skirts.
Martial art in drag

Hakama can help,
through their voluminous folds,
to hide a fat ass

You throw me, I fall.
It was not your Ki. It was
your rank pits, hippy

I focus my ki
Harmonize, throw. Out of those
Three, two of them work

If you grab my wrist
My Aikido will pwn you
No, the other one

Cherry blossoms fall,
Flower petals fight better,
than Aikidoka

If part of your training does not include practicing the techniques you learned against a resisting partner - THE TECHNIQUES ARE WORTHLESS. Probably dangerous.

Systema, Kung Foo San Soo, Aikido ect.. do not train their "deadly" moves against a resisting partner.

There is no way to know if you truely know the timing, momentum, application, and if they really work

I can throw you from
Except for that one

Aikido, a way
Martial art in drag

Hakama can help,
to hide a fat ass

You throw me, I fall.
your rank pits, hippy

I focus my ki
Three, two of them work

If you grab my wrist
My Aikido will pwn you
No, the other one

Cherry blossoms fall,
than Aikidoka

L-O-fucking-L!

Needs a stanza about patchouli stink though. Aikido is nothing but live action role playing. They shouldn't be allowed to call it a martial art.

Took me a bit:

Patchouli, its stench
knocks me over better than
non-existent ki

I can throw you from
Except for that one

Aikido, a way
Martial art in drag

Hakama can help,
to hide a fat ass

You throw me, I fall.
your rank pits, hippy

I focus my ki
Three, two of them work

If you grab my wrist
My Aikido will pwn you
No, the other one

Cherry blossoms fall,
than Aikidoka

OMG Im dying in here.

To be fair, not all of those are mine; about half of them are. They come from a Bullshido thread.

You should choose to pratice a martial art! It's simple, aikido isn't a complete martial art in the sense that it does not teach you how to fight. It's great for slow motion pictures, with oponents ready to help you! So, choose Judo or BJJ. Even a non grappling martial art would be much better and useful like muay thai for example!

It is a waste of time in my opinion, they just don't train the techniques in a way that well let you perform them against a resisting opponent. Look into judo.

Yup exactly. A judoka would throw your head on concrete and proceed to beat your ass GnP style or just choke you out.

If you look to Aikido for fighting techniques, keep on looking. But if you look to Aikido for what it is," it is a discipline of coordination,a way of strengthening the mind and body, of fusing the individual's physical and mental powers so that he or she will emerge as a more fully intigrated human being." Most know the first two maxims of Judo , maximum efficencie with minimum effort, mutual welfare and benifit, and the third is, for the perfection of the individual. This is just one of the things Kodokan Judo and Aikido have in common.
I think alot of Aikidokas, in the US for the most part, look at Aikido through rose colored glasses, failing to see what it is not, and taking students who want to learn how to fight and think Aikido will teach them how. Aikido is one of the more esoteric arts, were as one can become proficent in Judo, BJJ, Kickboxing, wrestling ect in as little as a few years, were as Aikido has a steep learnig curve. Thats one reason it has such a bad reputatoin here is that there are so few truely great practitioners in the US.

As a cop I would not suggest akido. I am very open to all styles but to try wrist locks as a way to take someone down on the streets I would not do. If you study Akido for many many years I am sure that you can become very profecient in it and use it well but short of putting in alot of time and trianing it would not be the best style IMO.

OK Akido guys do not flame me for the above response.

Curiously enough, from what I've heard the Tokyo police force trains with aikido. I'm guessing their position is that for deadly attackers you have a gun and a partner, but a lot of arrests require restraining suspects without hurting them, which would seem to be right down aikido's alley. Punching a non-resisting suspect, or throwing them a few times to soften them up is not going to go over well with the judge, but keeping firm wrist or elbow lock on them while guiding them to the cruiser is not going to be a problem.

I should point out that I've never done aikido, so I'm just speculating.

Back