Aikido or aki no?

mrpopenfresh

Red Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for supporting my bad pun. Anyways, I just finished a 7 day training for tactical police like things for work. You know, cuffing, batons and pepper spray. There were alot of aikido type moves when it came to putting people on the ground and immobilising them. That got me thinking, would taking a class of aikido be a good idea? I was looking at what my university offers at the gym and tyhere it was. Street wise it looks like the ideal martial art to neutralise dangerous people who want to fight when you aren't really into it.

Anyways, is it a good idea? They also offer savate wich looks good for conditionning. My first choice was Judo but unfortunately there isn,t any at school.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

I wouldn't advise it. You might get good at some gimmicky wrist locks, but generally Aikido is shit. The techniques mostly require a compliant training partner, and the training methods themselves are almost always lame. You could do way better than that.

Definitely AikiNO.

Some of the gimmicky moves work, if you train for years to get really good at them. Most of them don't, or require your opponent to give you his arm so you can set it up. Judo is much better for standup grappling, as the live training gives you strength, timing, and technique to pull off moves against a fully resisting opponent. It also has much better pinning techniques than aikido, which seems to favor elegant looks over function. One of their favorite pins in aikido involves just holding one arm of an opponent that is belly down. It seems nice when you practice it on a compliant opponent, but in reallity, you can just do a forward roll over the pinned shoulder and you're out.

Judo also gives better graduated responses, imo. Akido wristlocks give you some pain compliance, but if your opponent still resists, your next step is to break his wrist. Judo at least will teach you a lot of chokes that can put him to sleep without harm.

Aikido is great for attackers running at you in set patterns throwing haymakers at you in slow motion.

Steven Segal always beats up bad guys so why not give it a try

If you want some solid advice about Aikido, you should ask/private message Roy Dean, Black belt in Aikido and BJJ and teacher of some very fine students there in Oregon.

if its free, why not?

all martial arts are fun, if it was free i would do any martial art....i just would rather pay for something legit and usefull....like bjj

Aikido definitely does develop some good attributes eventually from what I've seen. However, unlike some of the more competitive martial arts out there, it is pretty abstract. That can make it hard to use in reality.

If you just train in Aikido, you will usually not be able to pull off many techniques in live scenarios. Aikido seems to be a martial art that relies heavily on perfection -- perfect range, perfect timing, perfect technique, etc. There is not much room for error in most of the techniques.

In a real situation, I think you need to allow some room for error because you will make mistakes under stress. For that reason, I wouldn't rely on Aikido alone if you want practical techniques.

It is a waste of time in my opinion, they just don't train the techniques in a way that well let you perform them against a resisting opponent. Look into judo.

Thanks for supporting my bad pun. Anyways, I just finished a 7 day training for tactical police like things for work. You know, cuffing, batons and pepper spray. There were alot of aikido type moves when it came to putting people on the ground and immobilising them. That got me thinking, would taking a class of aikido be a good idea? I was looking at what my university offers at the gym and tyhere it was. Street wise it looks like the ideal martial art to neutralise dangerous people who want to fight when you aren't really into it.

Anyways, is it a good idea? They also offer savate wich looks good for conditionning. My first choice was Judo but unfortunately there isn,t any at school.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Aikido sucks, bad. If there's no Judo take Savate.

As a cop I would not suggest akido. I am very open to all styles but to try wrist locks as a way to take someone down on the streets I would not do. If you study Akido for many many years I am sure that you can become very profecient in it and use it well but short of putting in alot of time and trianing it would not be the best style IMO.

OK Akido guys do not flame me for the above response.

As a cop I would not suggest akido. I am very open to all styles but to try wrist locks as a way to take someone down on the streets I would not do. If you study Akido for many many years I am sure that you can become very profecient in it and use it well but short of putting in alot of time and trianing it would not be the best style IMO.

OK Akido guys do not flame me for the above response.

I don't see how anyone trained in aikido could, unless they buy all the new-agey BS that tends to spring up in some circles.
It's good for some things, certainly.
Like, when you do randori against 4 people that actually punch the shit out of you if you don't get out the way, you will eventually learn decent footwork and awareness.
But even the most proficient people tend to stay away from the fancy wristlocks and pressure point crap in that kind of situation and go for basics.
Iriminage actually works if you train it right, problem is, the whole basis of aikido training as laid down by the founder of the art is training it wrong.

The most important thing for self defense and techniques that actually work is training with live partners,
and that's just not the vast majority of aikido training.

I wouldn't advise it. You might get good at some gimmicky wrist locks, but generally Aikido is shit. The techniques mostly require a compliant training partner, and the training methods themselves are almost always lame. You could do way better than that.

Definitely AikiNO.

I agree, akino.

Like all martial arts, it depends on the instructors and the type of training. I've been lucky to have good muai thai and bjj instructors when I was younger, helps me spot good training environments now.

You'll find crappy martial arts schools in every city, and a few good ones. If you find an aikido school that has a martial focus, you'll learn a lot. If they're not concerned about the martial side of things then you'll less.

Aikido isn't a quick fix, do something else first, then you'll appreciate it more (if you find a good school). I train with a couple of police officers, who have other martial arts experience too, they keep things honest.

akino. bullshido. waste of moneyo. better off doing judo.

unless you're pushed by long-haired, out-of-shape, bohemian hippies in fruity baggy pants a lot. then totally.

Judo also gives better graduated responses, imo. Akido wristlocks give you some pain compliance, but if your opponent still resists, your next step is to break his wrist. Judo at least will teach you a lot of chokes that can put him to sleep without harm.

You can manuever his arm into a bar situation or even a choke IF you get his wrist first.

Police type aikido is okay as long as you don't do it exclusively. It's been used effectively for decades in most Penal organizations. It is used though mainly against guys who are in a "mildly disagreeable" frame of mind like resisting cuffing or being moved.

The real assholes won't be dissuaded til they're slammed or ktfo. You're right about that.

akino. bullshido. waste of moneyo. better off doing judo.

unless you're pushed by long-haired, out-of-shape, bohemian hippies in fruity baggy pants a lot. then totally.

ha, at a school here in Charlotte, THEY DRINK BEER DURING PRACTICE!

Sometimes, when we come in for our training the trash can is full of their bottles and one numbnut even spilled his while hanging around the dojo after they had finished .... really made us want to apply our Muay Thai to their asses to see if their aikido would serve them like they think it will!

It's sorta off putting when prospects interested in Muay Thai come in and have to smell their pissy brew or actually see them walking around like they're half stoned with it in their hands. Sometimes they even have their kids accompanying em ... just fucked up.

If you want some solid advice about Aikido, you should ask/private message Roy Dean, Black belt in Aikido and BJJ and teacher of some very fine students there in Oregon.

I agree. I've never had much time for aikido, as it seemed very compliant and overly formal for my liking (though admittedly, I've only ever popped along to one class). However, reading what Roy Dean has to say on the topic has made me a bit more open-minded, so I might consider trying it again some time. Although it does seem to be rare that you find an aikidoka like Dean, who also has black belts in respected heavy contact styles like judo and BJJ.

For example, have a read of this article or this blog post. From what I can gather, the main positive thing he seems to have taken from aikido is ukemi, which fits well into the whole 'flow with the go' part of BJJ:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yidj9ZoQeOI&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yidj9ZoQeOI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back