After Slapping Hands

I didnt read all of the replies...

BUT PLAY. PLAY, enjoy yourself. If he lays in your closed guard OPEN it, play some random inverted guard, invent one - have fun and challenge yourself. It is training.

This allows your partner to come out of his shell. If you get subbed, smile, and keep going. You know you're playing and trying new things, if he feels awesome about it, dont worry.

Guys, give this guy a break. I could be speaking for myself but I imagine that almost every new person has done this. Remember back when you were new and you didnt know your ass from your elbow? Why do you think the instructor has him passing guard and not working submissions? Because he is green and he should be learning how to get out of guard and how to defend, thats about it, thats step one.

And name one person in here that didnt think every roll was a competition when they were new. Everyone did, EVERYONE. That was the goal, to submit someone. Tapping out was the end of the world. New people just dont have the experience or the maturity in the art to understand how things really are.

Im not talking a year in, Im talking under 2 months training, some people more. Is it a legit move in my opinion, yes. Is it a dick move, yes. Is it effective, not a bit. Its very easy to get out of and does nothing but create discomfort. Next time, try to defend the choke, use your hands, tuck your chin, figure out how to releave the pressure, whats better than all that is try not to get caught in it, you dont get caught in it than you dont have to escape. Most important thing you can learn though, is to tap. Honestlly, someone tapping is as meaningful as pissing your name in the snow. Your just learning, just learning.
Why give him a break? He needs to know what he did was stupid and he shouldn't be doing that. Granted, he'll learn it eventually when he tries the elbow-on-throat thing from inside someone's guard again and gets armbarred (or arm-triangled), but thinking "it's ok to hurt" someone while training is going to, *gasp*, get someone hurt. You're training to get better, and you're training to help your training partners get better. When you're caught, you're caught. Tap and save the "hurt-to-escape" shit for competition.

Last edited:
Back