After Slapping Hands

grab the back of his head with both hands and knee him in the face.

that's what i would do in a self-defense situation if i had to start from the knees, anyway.

(1)this used to happen to me alot, learn how to pull a scarf hold from your knees. it's crazy effective once you have it down and nearly impossible to escape when done right. ( it doesnt translate well on the feet though)

THE SCARF HOLD WILL DO THE J. O. B.

dive underneath and grab the leg thats on the floor and pull it toward you while driving your shoulder into his thigh on the same leg

then just keep pushing until hes on his back and you have side control/half guard
guy taught me that the other day. works a treat
just have to make them think your going high then dive low otherwise they could take your back if your not quick enough i would think

Starting from the knees are in my opinion for beginners that don't know any takedowns and don't how to play guard. Fighting for top position from the knees are pointless. I have even seen people show takedowns from the knees. Of course it happens from time to time that both opponents find themselves on the knees at the same time during a match but most of the time they get back up on their feets or pull guard. So do the same in practice. Pull guard or stand up. You are not training BJJ to learn how to midgetwrestle.

Starting from the knees are in my opinion for beginners that don't know any takedowns and don't how to play guard. Fighting for top position from the knees are pointless. I have even seen people show takedowns from the knees. Of course it happens from time to time that both opponents find themselves on the knees at the same time during a match but most of the time they get back up on their feets or pull guard. So do the same in practice. Pull guard or stand up. You are not training BJJ to learn how to midgetwrestle.

Agreed, but not all gyms have the space for full take downs.

People should stop worrying so much about "winning" and just do both. Roll twice with one person. Pull guard the first time and let them pull guard next.

Agreed, but not all gyms have the space for full take downs.

People should stop worrying so much about "winning" and just do both. Roll twice with one person. Pull guard the first time and let them pull guard next.

This is the way its supposed to be. If the other guy insists on midget wrestling just start out in sitting guard and work from there.

As for the other poster, strikes me if you can break a choke with something as simple as jamming your forearm into the throat, the guy isn't going the technique right and you should go for it. Unless of course this is your first week or something and the blue is taking it easy on you, in which case expect some knee-on-face shortly therafter.

Last edited:
You guys have so many problems.. "What if he does that" "what if I want to take private class from someone else than my trainer" "What should I ask on my first private class" "what if I wear some other schools logo on my shirt" "what if my opponent uses to much muscles in sparring" "What if I dont wash my belt".

Just train and have good hygien, there is not much more to it. If you wonder if it's ok with your trainer, ask your trainer. If you don't want to midgetwrestle ask your partner to start on top the first time so can he do it the second.

after slapping hands, I pull guard against lower belts.

against a higher belt, I will give him the first choice to pull guard or play top as a sign of respect.

same level belt, I still would pull guard.

against a higher belt, I will give him the first choice to pull guard or play top as a sign of respect.

I do the same thing

I was certain this was going to be a thread about whether or not you do the fist-pound thing after slapping hands. I've trained throughout the world and nothing vexes me more than trying to guess if this school is one of the fist-pound ones.

1. dont try and wrestle from the knees, pull guard and try for the sweep or sub

2. people will stall it happens, this is good training for if your in a tournament and a guy is up on points, he will sometimes try and stall you out.. try and create movement/scrambles and attempt to finish him

i do this, but i also let same ranks choose, ill sit and wait for them to make the first move.. and ill sometimes let a lower belt pass right to side/mount/back if i want to work my defence

i do this, but i also let same ranks choose, ill sit and wait for them to make the first move.. and ill sometimes let a lower belt pass right to side/mount/back if i want to work my defence

I always give a free bone to lower belts, instead of closed guard, I would do an open guard stuff.

I do not think it is a counter-productive to give them a easy guard pass, you still have to make them earn it.

I play guard on same belt because I out weight most of them. It would not be fair to let them to play guard.

Something similar happened to me. I'm pretty new to BJJ. Instructor told me to do guard escape and the blue belt to do submissions.

As soon as we started, I was in his guard, he bumped his hips up and I fell foward. He then cross grabbed my lapel and started to choke me. During that moment, I was like, this blue belt dude is trying to really choke me out. Since I'm new, my mentality is to stick to the technique and be nice/respectful to upper belts. After I couldn't breathe, I didn't want to tap, so out of survival and beefing up some courage, I jammed my forearm with all my weight down on his throat. He has me in his guard and within a second, he let go. I didn't want to be submitted like that from the guard. I am starting to realize, it's a rough sport and it's ok to hurt someone, if they're trying to hurt you. Even if they're a higher belt.

Guys, give this guy a break. I could be speaking for myself but I imagine that almost every new person has done this. Remember back when you were new and you didnt know your ass from your elbow? Why do you think the instructor has him passing guard and not working submissions? Because he is green and he should be learning how to get out of guard and how to defend, thats about it, thats step one.

And name one person in here that didnt think every roll was a competition when they were new. Everyone did, EVERYONE. That was the goal, to submit someone. Tapping out was the end of the world. New people just dont have the experience or the maturity in the art to understand how things really are.

Im not talking a year in, Im talking under 2 months training, some people more. Is it a legit move in my opinion, yes. Is it a dick move, yes. Is it effective, not a bit. Its very easy to get out of and does nothing but create discomfort. Next time, try to defend the choke, use your hands, tuck your chin, figure out how to releave the pressure, whats better than all that is try not to get caught in it, you dont get caught in it than you dont have to escape. Most important thing you can learn though, is to tap. Honestlly, someone tapping is as meaningful as pissing your name in the snow. Your just learning, just learning.

Last edited:
I was certain this was going to be a thread about whether or not you do the fist-pound thing after slapping hands. I've trained throughout the world and nothing vexes me more than trying to guess if this school is one of the fist-pound ones.

+1

There's nothing worse than not knowing the secret handshake. Then you may miss the fist pound after slapping hands, which is totally awkward. Then you have to decide if it's worth re-doing the fist pound. Meanwhile, your partner probably already has a collar grip and thinks you're a douche.

Thanks for all the help.

Just to clarify, we don't always start sitting or from the knees; eighty percent of the time we start standing. It's just when we do start from the knees or sitting I have problems when a guy who is larger and/or overly aggressive will do just about anything not to end up in guard or what not, which often deteriorates into a muscle match. I don't particularly care if they exert a lot of energy with muscle but I just try to avoid that because I'm not going to progress that way and was curious about some techniques I wasn't aware of.

The second question pertained to a guy who is probably about 30 pounds heavier than me. He's been coming about 3 months now. We roll a lot and I always pull guard and work on things while he works the top. Last week I pulled him into my half guard and he wrapped his arms around me, dropped all his weight, and just laid on top of me. He literally did not move for the next 4 1/2 minutes. If i started to move he would squeeze his arms. I was exhausted (after two hours of muay thai and bjj) and just was confused about what to do. My left leg was free but he just didn't budge when I tried to bridge or escape.

I've never done anything considered dirty and wouldn't. I really don't want to be "that guy". If anything, I roll too light at times worried I'll be looked at as a muscle head or someone who doesn't care about others safety.

Anyway, thanks. I appreciate the suggestions.

Back