AEW XLII: Pillars

AEW’s 2021 Singles MVP

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot in this thread didn't like the title match. I'll try to contain my shock.

Loved Dynamite this week. A great show from top to bottom.

Title match was fantastic. Perfect pacing. One thing I noted was the crowd changing from being evenishly split at the start to being firmly on Team Hangman by the end. Top notch professional wrestling. How it's done.

I would've popped huge if it turned out that Brandon was playing the kazoo during the SuperKliq promo.

Wardlow's babyface turn is coming along nicely. MOAR POWERBOMBS!!!

Deeb vs Shida was good. Not their best one, but good. I've actually come around a bit on Shida. I swear that she's showing more personality since losing the belt.

MJF cut another great promo. On the mic, in the ring. The best thing going. No wonder WWE want him.

Main even was very good. Huge test for Dante and I think he looked great in a big main event.

A minute late an a dollar short there, Sara.

Also, where was my Bray Wyatt debut?

Last time I take "information" from a woman.
He was in traffic, I’m mad no Kyle. Maybe he’ll show up at rampage

As much as I wasn't a fan of Darby/Sting showing up after the lights went out (yes thought it would be the Briscoes) I'm fine with it cause FTR vs Rey/Penta was getting a bit stale.

As much as I wasn't a fan of Darby/Sting showing up after the lights went out (yes thought it would be the Briscoes) I'm fine with it cause FTR vs Rey/Penta was getting a bit stale.
Sting was stale on arrival

A lot in this thread didn't like the title match. I'll try to contain my shock.
It is an option, you know.

You get two choices; you can like something or not.

When is the last time you had anything critical to say about an AEW show?

Title match was fantastic. Perfect pacing.
Perfectly paced to make the viewer feel like it was a really, really, really long match...

Last edited:
@Pliny Pete in here preaching.
That Bryan/Cowboy Shit match was a throw back and great. I would have given it 44 out of 44nutmans if it was not for that goofy spot of Hangman getting water poured on him.
tumblr_pic1yxotyF1xvlbmno3_500.gif

So I give it 40 out of 44nutman's. A solid A-. The draw was fine, but no more draws for a couple years. Keep both guys apart other than some run ins or tags for a couple months and then make a decision on if keeping the belt on Hangman or handing it over to Bryan.
Nice seeing Hangman worshipping at the Church of Dusthy with the blade job. I was no fan of Hangman's recent run until last night, Kid showed me something. The American Dragon has been putting on a clinic in AEW. Right now he is the best thing going today.
Deeb/Shida was another good match. Those two have good chemistry and have delivered 3 bangers. Deeb needs to find a squat rack.
Wardlow turn tease is a good idea. He could be a great babyface, and get him out of the shadows of MJF.
MJF needs to get better in the ring. He has showed improvement but Dante is too much for him. MJF is relying a little too much on the shock on the mic. He is good, but don't become a one trick pony.
The rest of the night other than Black's vignette was meh at best.

Two mic drops in a row!

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Daddys on fire today

Who else wants some of Deebo?
You worked hard today, Pete.
I'm going to work in solidarity with you and go shovel some more snow that's currently falling.

I don't care if you nerds liked the match or not that couldn't have been the reaction they were going for.
I always say AEW crowds are akin to ECW. They are all super passionate smarks.
And just like ECW, they would have boo'd a draw too. But I understand why it had to be done.

It was either that or a DQ finish, a distraction roll up finish or a double count out.
I think this was the lesser of all evils. No way Bryan was losing or winning the title on free TV.

You could say TK played himself into a corner, but we got a great match out of it.

It is an option, you know.

You get two choices; you can like something or not.

When is the last time you had anything critical to say about an AEW show?

Perfectly paced to make the viewer feel like it was a really, really, really long match...
He's the biggest AEW mark on the planet. Probably has a TK cut out he fondles when watching the shows.

Intersting thing about this match is the ending wasn't the whole place booing like it was last night. I don't care if you nerds liked the match or not that couldn't have been the reaction they were going for.

They were booing because Curt Hennig once again didnt win the title though, which was actually seen as a good thing back then, now theyre eager to come back next time and watch the hero vanquish the villian
Completely different booking philosophy than we better cater to the kids or theyre gonna whine on the internet about us

I always say AEW crowds are akin to ECW. They are all super passionate smarks.
And just like ECW, they would have boo'd a draw too. But I understand why it had to be done.

It was either that or a DQ finish, a distraction roll up finish or a double count out.
I think this was the lesser of all evils. No way Bryan was losing or winning the title on free TV.

You could say TK played himself into a corner, but we got a great match out of it.

I agree TK booked himself into a corner here. I don't get why they needed to rush Hangman and Bryan so fast. Why not feed Hangman a bum or two and avoid all this 60 minutes draw with commercials debacle? It really did feel like it was 60 minutes just to be 60 minutes. Do 60 on a ppv with no commercials with a longer build so the 60 minutes is justified. I don't remember the crowd booing the Omega and Bryan draw.

@Pliny Pete in here preaching.
That Bryan/Cowboy Shit match was a throw back and great. I would have given it 44 out of 44nutmans if it was not for that goofy spot of Hangman getting water poured on him.
tumblr_pic1yxotyF1xvlbmno3_500.gif

So I give it 40 out of 44nutman's. A solid A-. The draw was fine, but no more draws for a couple years. Keep both guys apart other than some run ins or tags for a couple months and then make a decision on if keeping the belt on Hangman or handing it over to Bryan.
Nice seeing Hangman worshipping at the Church of Dusthy with the blade job. I was no fan of Hangman's recent run until last night, Kid showed me something. The American Dragon has been putting on a clinic in AEW. Right now he is the best thing going today.
Deeb/Shida was another good match. Those two have good chemistry and have delivered 3 bangers. Deeb needs to find a squat rack.
Wardlow turn tease is a good idea. He could be a great babyface, and get him out of the shadows of MJF.
MJF needs to get better in the ring. He has showed improvement but Dante is too much for him. MJF is relying a little too much on the shock on the mic. He is good, but don't become a one trick pony.
The rest of the night other than Black's vignette was meh at best.

Agree with everything you said here
Glad to see the oldtimers get it

I love MJF but yea last night was not a good promo, it didnt have his usual wittyness

No way Bryan was losing or winning the title on free TV.

AEW is a "Free TV" company. They're not a PPV company. They only run 4 PPV's a year. That's why they have so many named Free TV shows like Winter Is Coming, Fyter Fest, Bash at the Beach, Blood N Guts etc. They literally had Kenny win his AEW World Championship at this same event on Free TV last year. Their bread and butter is TV revenue, not PPV. AEW ain't the company that's only going to save things for their 100k buyrate PPV's, they have big moments on "Free TV" all the time.

AEW is a "Free TV" company. They're not a PPV company. They only run 4 PPV's a year. That's why they have so many named Free TV shows like Winter Is Coming, Fyter Fest, Bash at the Beach, Blood N Guts etc. They literally had Kenny win his AEW World Championship at this same event on Free TV last year. Their bread and butter is TV revenue, not PPV. AEW ain't the company that's only going to save things for their 100k buyrate PPV's, they have big moments on "Free TV" all the time.
I understand that, but Bryan is not comparable to the rest.

They were booing because Curt Hennig once again didnt win the title though, which was actually seen as a good thing back then, now theyre eager to come back next time and watch the hero vanquish the villian
Completely different booking philosophy than we better cater to the kids or theyre gonna whine on the internet about us

I hear a mix of boos and cheers there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back