Advice buying a new SUV

great timing on this thread, ive been looking myself...

read nothing but great things about the new grand cherokees.

All the new looks so ugly to me being all curvy.I would go for the good old XJ.

23059100001_large.jpg

I believe 7Sams owns a VW, but IIRC, he also does most of his own work.

What luxury/premium sedans and SUVs have you driven?

Yep, I just sold my GTI Vr6 -but I did all my own work (except tranny) on it -I don't recommend German cars for people who don't get into maintenance and caring for them -maintenance is prohibitively expensive.. I would never buy a Taureg etc or really any German SUV yet -you might be throwing money down an expensive hole.

You see a lot of poor people buy late model German cars as status symbols -especially Mercedes -but honestly that is a poor financial decision (which is why they are probably poor anyways) -German Cars require you to stay on top of them and will have constant electrical gremlins and such if not properly cared for after the first 5 or so years -plus they will get gouged with Shop rates. Leave old German stuff for the enthusiast and the saavy.

I still have my 70s BMW E21 to tinker on for my German Fix -but lately I've been driving a G35 as my daily -it's fun and reliable.

Most Americans want a car they can drive into the ground without much thought of weekly/monthly checks and care -for that Japanese and American cars are better.

You see a lot of poor people buy late model German cars as status symbols -especially Mercedes -but honestly that is a poor financial decision (which is why they are probably poor anyways) -German Cars require you to stay on top of them and will have constant electrical gremlins and such if not properly cared for after the first 5 or so years -plus they will get gouged with Shop rates. Leave old German stuff for the enthusiast and the saavy.

This ^^^ ALL day long. I live in a neighborhood that has the annual income in the top "2%ers" combined with the worst financial decision making. When we moved here it was was BMW-town and then about 3 years ago it changed to Mercedes. I noticed that at least half of the homeowners on our street had a Mercedes. WTF? It was like a cult. I looked up the cost of these vehicles and hardly any of these cars is >>$65,000. The popular series are S-series for the men and GL or M-series for the women.

Most Americans want a car they can drive into the ground without much thought of weekly/monthly checks and care -for that Japanese and American cars are better.

Agree and that is why BMW/Mercedes hit you for $700 just to check the computer for warnings and data.

Quality "road" SUV's have always been Toyota 4Runner and Nissan Pathfinder. I alternate between the two, with a Sequoia thrown in for when my kids were newborns. I would assume the Honda Pilot is great as well, but never felt the need to give them a run.

I used to live at a loft complex owned by a millionaire. he had that truck but it was customized out (I think by a group who made them "thunder trucks") anyways he had that truck, a Bentley, and a Ferarri out one mrning early parked so the maintenance guy could wash and clean all three. A drunk driver (a friend of mine actually)plowed through the complex and took out all three vehicles -Only the Bentley was even salvagable.

However -he did not press charges or call the police on my drunken friend because my friend had just graduated engineering school and was moving to Dallas to start his new career that summer -instead he asked that one day he should return the favor.

Coolest millionaire ever.

Last edited:
I live nearby one of the wealthiest towns in America, and these people drive very conservative cars. Lots of Camrys, Priuses, etc. These are people living in 10 million dollar plus mansions.

My own town however, is middle class. And you see people struggling to make payments on brand new Range Rovers, BMW's, and Mercedes while living in tiny condos. The disparity is quite hilarious.

The poor must have a chip on their shoulder about appearing successful, and they just sink themselves deeper into debt. While the wealthy are smart enough to know better.

People think its sensible to buy a 60k car while making 80k a year. They mustve all failed math. Our society and marketing has brainwashed everyone into thinking they deserve a premium car to the point where its become the norm. I see more BMW's than Hondas these days.

Do you use the third row?

Against my better judgment, I rented a Suburban for a group trip once. Less than a day later, guys were bitching about getting into the back row. I'm thinking, "I fucking told you we should have just rented the damn minivan."

She doesn't have the 3rd row in her Sorrento. She keeps wanting to get something with the 3rd row but I'm firmly against it. It's one thing if you just need to tote around a couple of the kid's friends, but it seems like when you have the extra seating, people always expect you to be the taxi if you are doing something with multiple couples.

The wife would actually be fine with a mini van, it's just not practical in the winter time if we get snow. It seems silly to have a vehicle that gets much worse gas mileage for the possibility of needing the 4x4 a couple weeks in the winter, but you aren't getting out of our driveway without it, and we are in a rural area that is low on the priority list for plowing so I feel much more at ease knowing she has the 4WD when she is leaving in the morning for work if we have got some snow.

I used to live at a loft complex owned by a millionaire. he had that truck but it was customized out (I think by a group who made them "thunder trucks") anyways he had that truck, a Bentley, and a Ferarri out one mrning early parked so the maintenance guy could wash and clean all three. A drunk driver (a friend of mine actually)plowed through the complex and took out all three vehicles -Only the Bentley was even salvagable.

However -he did not press charges or call the police on the guy because he had just graduated engineering school and was moving to Dallas to start his new career that summer -instead he asked that one day he should return the favor.

Coolest millionaire ever.

I'd be most pissed about the Syclone.. the other 2 are available... lucky he didn't kill anyone. Cool millionaire indeed.

Family is growing and we need a new vehicle. I've convinced the missus to forgo the minivan route and get an SUV. I've narrowed it down to these three and am looking for some input. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1: Audi Q5 (smaller but good gas mileage)

2013AudiQ5hybrid20TPrestige44449.jpg

2: Lexus rx350

lexus-rx-350_100384910_m.jpg

3: VW Touareg (the TDI version; my personal fav)

VWSTOU14.JPG
The Q5 and RX have the passenger space of a normal sedan. The Toureg is best out of those choices but its overpriced and youll be better off with a cheaper domestic.

But if you say you need an SUV for the space why are you looking at crossover sized ones like the RX? A good wagon has as much passenger room while handling a million times better with better mpg. Admit it, youre just buying for looks cuz you think suv's "look cool" [theyre not].

I live nearby one of the wealthiest towns in America, and these people drive very conservative cars. Lots of Camrys, Priuses, etc. These are people living in 10 million dollar plus mansions.

Are you in the bay area? I was surprised to find out the 5 wealthiest zip codes are all in the Silicon Valley area. That area is all Priuseses, Camrys and a mix of C-class/3-series.

My own town however, is middle class. And you see people struggling to make payments on brand new Range Rovers, BMW's, and Mercedes while living in tiny condos. The disparity is quite hilarious.

The poor must have a chip on their shoulder about appearing successful, and they just sink themselves deeper into debt. While the wealthy are smart enough to know better.

People think its sensible to buy a 60k car while making 80k a year. They mustve all failed math. Our society and marketing has brainwashed everyone into thinking they deserve a premium car to the point where its become the norm. I see more BMW's than Hondas these days.

I would love to do a thread regarding the behaviours in my neighborhood. It's absolutely fascinating. So much of it is linked to the cultures of the professions these people work in (financial services and medical). I truly question how much of it is related to the "image they want to project" versus "the image they feel they need to project".

Last edited:
Back