Advice buying a new SUV

TheDerpWeb

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Family is growing and we need a new vehicle. I've convinced the missus to forgo the minivan route and get an SUV. I've narrowed it down to these three and am looking for some input. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1: Audi Q5 (smaller but good gas mileage)

2013AudiQ5hybrid20TPrestige44449.jpg

2: Lexus rx350

lexus-rx-350_100384910_m.jpg

3: VW Touareg (the TDI version; my personal fav)

VWSTOU14.JPG

Go with the q5, it's a great drive.

You know that the Q5 and the RX350 are chick cars, and the VW and the Audi are maintenance nightmares, right?

Seriously, go with a minivan. They're infinitely more practical vehicles for a family than these non-SUV CUVs.

2013 Forester ftw

minimal cost, safety, superb AWD, utilitarian

2013-subaru-forester-2.jpg

You know that the Q5 and the RX350 are chick cars,

I don't give a shit about masculine v feminine labels. I'm man as shit and real men do, wear, and drive whatever we like.

the VW and the Audi are maintenance nightmares, right?

You're years behind on the VW claim. In the 90s and early 00s VW had issues but they've really addressed quality control over the last 5 years. The audi's I know nothing about, so thanks for the heads up.

Seriously, go with a minivan. They're infinitely more practical vehicles for a family than these non-SUV CUVs.

No fucking way I'm driving a minivan. But I assume you're sporting one?

being from detroit i wouldn't advise anyone to buy foreign unless your in the market for a sports car. there's plenty of good american made suv's from gm. get a cadillac.

2013 Forester ftw

minimal cost, safety, superb AWD, utilitarian

2013-subaru-forester-2.jpg

Thks. This would be a smarter choice for sure but I just can't get into the body style. We can finally afford to enter the luxury class SUV market so I'm leaning towards something a little higher end.

You know that the Q5 and the RX350 are chick cars, and the VW and the Audi are maintenance nightmares, right?

This ^^^. TS: you are also picking overpriced cars. Smarten the fuck up and get a Subaru.

I don't give a shit about masculine v feminine labels. I'm man as shit and real men do, wear, and drive whatever we like.

I don't believe you, because in the very same post, you wrote this:

No fucking way I'm driving a minivan. But I assume you're sporting one?

Just admit that your masculinity is tied up in your vehicle choice and/or that your car choices are a little effeminate. :cool:

You're years behind on the VW claim. In the 90s and early 00s VW had issues but they've really addressed quality control over the last 5 years. The audi's I know nothing about, so thanks for the heads up.

VW's cleaned up its act, but VW consistently rates below average in reliability.

CRV or Rav4, else go Lexus/Acura if you want something nicer.

\

Oh really? I just sat on a long flight next to the after sales mgr for VW and I can tell you this, they still have proprietary parts (like air filters) and you get fucked every time you need service.

I don't believe you, because in the very same post, you wrote this:

Just admit that your masculinity is tied up in your vehicle choice and/or that your car choices are a little effeminate. :cool:

Well played sir, well played.

This. Face the facts -A minivan is superior in every practical functional way except ground clearance over SUVs.

SUVs are mostly for people who are holding on to their self image of being adventurous and exciting -rarely are they used for their advantage.

I own both -and their is no comparison

Back