adding 20 rep sqauts to 5x5? critique my routine

thanks for the replies guys and for the question of why i don't do deadlift and cleans, I do deadlift on thursdays, sorry i wrote them as Romanian Deadlifts (RDL) because i do those a lot. As for cleans it was my last question how i could ad those to this program or if i should.

as for volume vs. pyramid, i would definitely like to hear more input for or against either one. I am for sure willng to make any adjustments to this workout that are needed.

Until youre squatting 1.5 times youre bodyweight for 5 sets of 5 (at least) I would stick with the volume, thats how youre going to get your best gains.

Until youre squatting 1.5 times youre bodyweight for 5 sets of 5 (at least) I would stick with the volume, thats how youre going to get your best gains.

right now my pyramid for squat is:

135x5

155x5

175x5

185x5

195x5

i weigh 162 btw, what weight do you think i should start the volume sets at?

if you can do 20 reps with your 10repmax, then logically you should be doing 40 reps with your 20rep max.

:rolleyes:

I'd say video tape yourself doing the 20 reps, if you picked a challenging weight you will definitely see your problem areas in the squat- once you get around 15 and fatigued as fuck and form goes out the window, weakest muscles tire first? I'm not sure, just a theory. Maybe stuff like coming up on your toes, or good morning the weight up, or losing the arch will reveal some weaknesses/imbalances that otherwise you would not have seen just doing 5 reps and might only crop up down the road when you are under heavier weight, (by which point you don't notice it, and develop problems).

Also, why don't you have your work sets at the same weight?

Back