ACWA Catch Wrestling Tournament, Oct 9th!

I'm not lecturing anybody, and how would you know if whether or not I can't wrestle for s***? I think you deliberately ignored everything I just said

I've also wrestled in the snake pit. Heard a lot about you and your wrestling "skills". Greg had a lot of nice things to say about you.

Especially with how much respect I showed Josh, and the acknowledgement of everything he has done for this sport! And I know the difference between Wrestling and submission fighting. And the time I spent up the snakepit Wigan where Roy told me that the pin was king, of course it's not the only way to win in Catch!

And how many sessions did you participate in until you got kicked out from the snake pit?

Also when I say a promotion it will only put on Catch Wrestling events not teaching, grading, seminars or anything like the usual catch organisations do!

Good luck promoting catch events when you're making everyone else in this sport your enemy.

PS: is this guy dan? if not, who's ripper?

A guy called Robbie Burrows. He found out he's related to a wrestler who beat Maeda about 100 years ago and now he thinks he's gonna use catch wrestling to become the greatest grappler of all time.

I suffered a catastrophic carotid dissection and subsequent mini-strokes in 2008 from neck cranks and chokes (due to my love of the sport) and included in a published study by the University of MN on dissections in grappling. Have you?

Earned my Shamrock Submission Fighting level 2 designation under Frank Shamrock. Have you?

Etc. etc...

I have only just begun. Honestly haters have been my fuel for 2 decades and going. My plans for 2022 and beyond are gigantic! More King of Catch Tournaments (), more innovative ShootProWrestling.com shows, more top tier training camps, etc.

I read your book and think you do a great job promoting Catch and the memory of these greats from the past who you had contact with.

That said, I didn't realize you experienced a serious carotid artery dissection and subsequent strokes.
Has that changed your opinion on the way the sport is practiced given how serious it is?
There is emerging research on the risk of strangles, chokes and neck cranks and most BJJ/sub grappling instructors are totally unaware of the dangers, we had a thread on it from a stroke survivor, you might want to add your story contribution Jake.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/bjj-and-strokes.3923139/

Last edited:
Well, all those amazing people support me as a researcher, writer, educator, producer, and promoter because I have done my very best to provide the high fidelity and innovative information and opportunities.

I have never claimed to be a champion nor champion-creator, I am just a guy more obsessed with the subject of catch-as-catch-can than most, that has taken more massive action than most, for a longer time than most to provide a shit-ton of material, training, and competitive opportunities that a shit-ton of people have found immensely valuable.

That said, what have I accomplished?

Written a best selling book on the subject. Have you?

Apprenticed in coaching catch with Billy Robinson for 7 years. Have you?

Co-developed catch-as-catch-can curriculum for CoachingCatch.com with Billy Robinson. Have you?

Co-developed a ruleset for modern CACC with Karl Gotch. Have you?

Been mentored by Wade Schalles since 2004. Have you?

I suffered a catastrophic carotid dissection and subsequent mini-strokes in 2008 from neck cranks and chokes (due to my live of the sport) and included in a published study by the University of MN on dissections in grappling. Have you?

Earned my Shamrock Submission Fighting level 2 designation under Frank Shamrock. Have you?

Etc. etc...

Look, the point is if you put half the energy you put into slandering and libeling me, or detourning this post from away Josh's event, you might be able to add something additional to your resume besides "troll".

As I said before, I don't know you at all and I have never had personal dealings with you other than your slanders and ad hominems. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

I have only just begun. Honestly haters have been my fuel for 2 decades and going. My plans for 2022 and beyond are gigantic! More King of Catch Tournaments (), more innovative ShootProWrestling.com shows, more top tier training camps, etc.

Guys, if anyone is still reading this thread please support Josh's catch tournament by registering and sharing this link with anyone that might register!!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/173197336897

No actual answer to my question
BUT MAH PURITY!

sorry

had to

PS: is this dan? who's ripper?

Hope the tourney goes well Josh, throw video up soon as you have it!

Good luck, Buddha bless you.
You like to quote Buddha lol, ther3
I've also wrestled in the snake pit. Heard a lot about you and your wrestling "skills". Greg had a lot of nice things to say about you.

And how many sessions did you participate in until you got kicked out from the snake pit?

Good luck promoting catch events when you're making everyone else in this sport your enemy.

A guy called Robbie Burrows. He found out he's related to a wrestler who beat Maeda about 100 years ago and now he thinks he's gonna use catch wrestling to become the greatest grappler of all time.

Hey, since you keep quoting my name why don't you tell me yours? Or are you fake as well??.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read your book and think you do a great job promoting Catch and the memory of these greats from the past who you had contact with.

That said, I didn't realize you experienced a serious carotid artery dissection and subsequent strokes.
Has that changed your opinion on the way the sport is practiced given how serious it is?
There is emerging research on the risk of strangles, chokes and neck cranks and most BJJ/sub grappling instructors are totally unaware of the dangers, we had a thread on it from a stroke survivor, you might want to add your story contribution Jake.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/bjj-and-strokes.3923139/

Thanks, I will!!

Well, all those amazing people support me as a researcher, writer, educator, producer, and promoter because I have done my very best to provide the high fidelity and innovative information and opportunities.

I have never claimed to be a champion nor champion-creator, I am just a guy more obsessed with the subject of catch-as-catch-can than most, that has taken more massive action than most, for a longer time than most to provide a shit-ton of material, training, and competitive opportunities that a shit-ton of people have found immensely valuable.

That said, what have I accomplished?

Written a best selling book on the subject. Have you?

Apprenticed in coaching catch with Billy Robinson for 7 years. Have you?

Co-developed catch-as-catch-can curriculum for CoachingCatch.com with Billy Robinson. Have you?

Co-developed a ruleset for modern CACC with Karl Gotch. Have you?

Been mentored by Wade Schalles since 2004. Have you?

I suffered a catastrophic carotid dissection and subsequent mini-strokes in 2008 from neck cranks and chokes (due to my live of the sport) and included in a published study by the University of MN on dissections in grappling. Have you?

Etc. etc...

Look, the point is if you put half the energy you put into slandering and libeling me, or detourning this post from away Josh's event, you might be able to add something additional to your resume besides "troll".

As I said before, I don't know you at all and I have never had personal dealings with you other than your slanders and ad hominems. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Guys, if anyone is still reading this thread please support Josh's catch tournament by registering and sharing this link with anyone that might register!!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/173197336897

Stop deflecting and actually answer my question; you keep quoting all these people who are legends in their own right!

But what have you Jake Shannon actually won competition wise in Grappling, MMA or Wrestling? Not talking about your pro wrestling career, only legitimate competitive competition!

That's my only question to you, and for my accomplishments I'm only 23 so I have lots of time to add stuff to my resume!

Really, if you're a black belt I respect your credentials since you've earned it! So massive respect bro

But Jake has no competitive record in any combat discipline! He lives off the memory of long dead wrestlers who aren't here to vouch for him!

Again, you're merely asserting a belief in pin over submission rather than pin or submission. But again you've yet to provide any decent rationale for such a curlicue in the first place. Whereas several people have already expressed rationales for Josh's choice in that particular matter, and he's not the only one whose used such a rule either.
You do realise that Original Catch Wrestling never had submissions to force someone to "tap" or submit before the early 20th century with the inclusion of Japanese Jiu Jitsu and Judo that even introduced the concept of submissions!

I have very old books for example "Badminton Sports Library 1891" which shows Lanacashire Catch Wrestling throws and standing half Nelson's etc. In not one of the these pictures from 1891 was there any definition of someone verbally or physically someone being tapped out or any Submission holds in that book!

The only way to win was by pinfall as soon as your shoulders touched the ground the match was over! I can go back even further than this to a book from 1727 "The Inn Play" by Sir Thomas Perkins which it demonstrates throws and how to break pinning holds, in Cornish and Lancashire Wrestling!

No where in this particular book which you can download free pdf off the internet! Nowhere is there submissions, it's all consists of pinning! The Pin is king, because original Lancashire Catch never had submissions! I can pull up matches from 1908 and before from newspaper clippings where they're winning by fall aka pin!

FYI took a long time to reply as I dont get notifications till like 6 months after they've been posted! As my emails are full at the moment!

Well, a pin can also be a submission if you're voluntarily putting your shoulders on the mat to get your opponent to release a hold which may not necessarily physically force your shoulders on the mat but attack a joint instead.

Well, a pin can also be a submission if you're voluntarily putting your shoulders on the mat to get your opponent to release a hold which may not necessarily physically force your shoulders on the mat but attack a joint instead.

Read what I said, Original Lancashire Catch Wrestling before the Japanese came and introduced submissions to Catch Wrestling the only way to win was via pinfall/backfall

Read what I said, Original Lancashire Catch Wrestling before the Japanese came and introduced submissions to Catch Wrestling the only way to win was via pinfall/backfall
Which you would in the case i stated. Are we misunderstanding one another here?

Which you would in the case i stated. Are we misunderstanding one another here?
It must be your grasp of the English language that is misunderstanding me! I've stated what I said and explained myself! Original Lancashire Catch Wrestling never had submissions, you can view this in early matches that were all won by pin!

You can view this point in my many newspaper clippings! That state matches were won by pin!

It must be your grasp of the English language that is misunderstanding me! I've stated what I said and explained myself! Original Lancashire Catch Wrestling never had submissions, you can view this in early matches that were all won by pin!

You can view this point in my many newspaper clippings! That state matches were won by pin!
This is why i am confused. My point was exactly that in order to submit in a pin-only ruleset, you would do so by pinning yourself.

American catch-wrestling matches certainly had submissions before 1900. You had Evan Lewis winning matches via strangle and via leglock, you had Tom Jenkins who won matches by strangle and Martin Burns who was famously defeated by a strangle, resulting in his determination to make his neck essentially invulnerable. Abraham Lincoln himself won at least one match by strangle.

There's also no evidence that the toe-hold came from Japan; all evidence indicates both the modern figure-four toe-hold and earlier variants came from catch-wrestling.

American catch-wrestling matches certainly had submissions before 1900. You had Evan Lewis winning matches via strangle and via leglock, you had Tom Jenkins who won matches by strangle and Martin Burns who was famously defeated by a strangle, resulting in his determination to make his neck essentially invulnerable. Abraham Lincoln himself won at least one match by strangle.

There's also no evidence that the toe-hold came from Japan; all evidence indicates both the modern figure-four toe-hold and earlier variants came from catch-wrestling.

That's all incorrect actually Catch As Catch Can wrestling never had submissions! We can debate this all day but I'm not going to be try and debate clueless people who have no idea what they're talking about!

That's all incorrect actually Catch As Catch Can wrestling never had submissions! We can debate this all day but I'm not going to be try and debate clueless people who have no idea what they're talking about!

Who needs submissions when you can do this? Honest Abe also had the best mic skills in the business.

Last edited:

Robbie, everything I said in my post is true and historically verifiable. In an earlier response to me, you simply stated that American catch-wrestling featured submissions while British catch-wrestling didn't. That might be. But it is clear that American catch-wrestling had submissions prior to the 20th century; refer back to the examples I already gave. There's far more than just those, of course.

Back