1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

ACWA Catch Wrestling Tournament, Oct 9th!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Josh Barnett, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Josh Barnett Yellow Belt Professional Fighter

The ACWA is running Catch Wrestling tournaments again!

Oct 9th at Calvary Chapel - Yorba Linda

$40 a competitor at the link below, and spectators are $5 at the door.

Full details on rules, weigh ins, and structure in the link.

ACWA Catch Wrestling Tournament

[​IMG]

TheMaster and Rebelfett like this.
  2. Bluesbreaker Black Belt

Awesome! Hopefully I'll be able to see some video after the tournament, over here in the Southern Hemisphere.

3. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

You think there's a possibility of seeing some catch rules matches in Quintet ever?

4. Josh Barnett Yellow Belt Professional Fighter

No, unfortunately, I really doubt it.

Kforcer likes this.
  5. Josh Barnett Yellow Belt Professional Fighter

We do intend to create videos of the tournaments.

Bluesbreaker likes this.
  6. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

Man, that's too bad. It'd be a great forum for it, I think.

Josh Barnett likes this.
  7. Josh Barnett Yellow Belt Professional Fighter

Sick spending $100+ to get 1 or even no matches at grappling tournaments?

Hate waiting all day, then being rushed through your bracket because of disorganized organizers?

Then sign up for the ACWA Tournament Oct 9th!

$40

Kforcer likes this.
  8. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Vive le Québec libre !

I love catch rules! Wish it would be more prevalent within the grappling scene.

Also: respect to you M.Barnett, you are a legend.

Kforcer and Grappler111 like this.
  9. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality Double Yellow Card

Great stuff, good to see more tourneys holding the flag for Catch.

500 Hindu squats and 250 Tiger stretch pushups for anyone who doubts these guys are going to put on a great show.

10. Ripp3r Catch Wrestling White Belt

Josh much respect from across the pond, but i don't like one aspect of the rules. The one where if you have a submission locked in you can't be pinned. Don't know how that's Catch Wrestling

If you're on your back In traditional Wrestling styles like Freestyle and Folkstyle if you're on your back you're pinned no matter what!? Another trule also where if you have a bodyscissors (closed guard) On your back you can't be pinned which is very ridiculous IMO.

I know you've done a hell of a lot for Catch Wrestling and the promotion of it is why I show you respect If you were anyone else I wouldn't of been as polite as I was being honest.

As I come from Wrestling stock in my family and did a bit as a kid and I look up to guys such as yourself. And hopefully I'm going to start my own Catch Wrestling promotion once I get the right backers. And you or your students would be welcome anytime

Kforcer likes this.
  11. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

In folkstyle, a pin has to be held for 1 second in college and 2 seconds in high school. They don't have touch falls in folkstyle.

12. Ripp3r Catch Wrestling White Belt

Did I say touch pin Jeremy? No I didn't I said in Freestyle and Folkstyle if you stay on your back with your shoulders pinned the match is over no matter what! You can't body scissor in Freestyle or Folkstyle not from bottom as I'm from UK we don't have Folkstyle wrestling only Freestyle!

If you're on your back with shoulders pinned then you're pinned it doesn't matter If you have an arm bar locked in! The goal in Catch Wrestling is to Pin or Submit your opponent! The only reason Josh is having this change of rules is because Fake Shannon wants to ingratiate Catch to the BJJ community because a lot of the bjj community think the pin is BS!

As I know the ACWA is affiliated with Scientific Wrestling, which means they use that ridiculous rules etc! Where does it say that historically Jeremy in Catch Wrestling historically if you're on your back with a submission locked in you're not pinned??

Or are you going to pull another newspaper article out of your magicians hat As to try and justify it!

Kforcer likes this.
  13. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

The match is over in folkstyle if your shoulders are pinned for either 1 or 2 seconds, depending on if it is college or high school. So its an exaggeration to say that it is automatically over if your shoulders are pinned; that would be a touch fall, as in freestyle. If your shoulders are pinned for less than the necessary time in folkstyle, then you aren't pinned.

As far as the rules regarding the full guard and submissions, it could be that its just a way to make things more interesting and allow the different grappling approaches to test their weapons against each other instead of meeting in rule-sets that render one style's weapons essentially off-limits. Its more interesting to see people battle it out in a relatively neutral rule-set. Ad Santel had no problem meeting judoka in matches where he wore a jacket; so why is there a problem making allowances for other styles?

ChickenBrother likes this.
  14. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

I very well might. I appreciate your class in referring me pulling something out of a magician's hat rather than say, my backside.

15. Dece Orange Belt

How many wrestling classes you've attended now? More than 10? Robbie, you're seriously trying to educate someone like Barnett about catch wrestling when you can't wrestle for shit.

Kforcer likes this.
  16. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality Double Yellow Card

It would make it ridiculous, especially given the progress in submissions nowadays. It doesn't matter if some catch toruneys of the past did it like this. Many did not.
    A pin is about control, and if someone has a locked submission on you or body scissors you dont have control.
    So it defeats the purpose of counting a fall in the first place if the other guy had a locked sub on you.

Catch is pin or submission. Not pin over submission.

If you can't you can't understand this you don't understand the fundamentals of wrestling or submission fighting.

Esile and ChickenBrother like this.
  17. ChickenBrother JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT

I don't know man, that sounded like it came from a bad place. He probably meant something like this:

[​IMG]

As opposed to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kforcer likes this.
  18. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

Okay, now that changes everything. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY compares me to Presto. The Cavalier, The Ranger, Dungeon Master or the awesome Venger...but Presto....? That's a besmirching of the highest order.

19. Ripp3r Catch Wrestling White Belt

I'm not lecturing anybody, and how would you know if whether or not I can't wrestle for s***? I think you deliberately ignored everything I just said

Especially with how much respect I showed Josh, and the acknowledgement of everything he has done for this sport! And I know the difference between Wrestling and submission fighting. And the time I spent up the snakepit Wigan where Roy told me that the pin was king, of course it's not the only way to win in Catch!

But resorting to ad hominem attacks is going off topic,
    Excuse me as you quoted my name means I maybe familiar with yourself. May I ask what your name is as well?

20. Ripp3r Catch Wrestling White Belt

I'm not lecturing anybody, and how would you know if whether or not I can't wrestle for s***? I think you deliberately ignored everything I just said

Especially with how much respect I showed Josh, and the acknowledgement of everything he has done for this sport! And I know the difference between Wrestling and submission fighting. And the time I spent up the snakepit Wigan where Roy told me that the pin was king, of course it's not the only way to win in Catch!

But resorting to ad hominem attacks is going off topic,
    Also when I say a promotion it will only put on Catch Wrestling events not teaching, grading, seminars or anything like the usual catch organisations do!

And I'm very close in securing backers who will help me fund cash prizes not meager sums like a hundred bucks which most top wrestlers and grapplers I've asked about it will only compete for money.

And most of them won't get out of bed for 100 bucks, and IF I use that word as have to find someone to back my promotion. As Karl Gotch said "Talk is cheap, ONLY MONEY BUYS WHISKY" You can't do anything without money in the first place!